[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would aliens create the same mathematics as us?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: ponederer.jpg (631KB, 726x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ponederer.jpg
631KB, 726x1000px
Would aliens create the same mathematics as us?
>>
Probably not.
>>
YES

>>7779033
gnorts pls.
>>
>create

different notation at the least
>>
>Would aliens discover the same mathematics as us

FTFY
>>
File: 136.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
136.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>7779097
>implying math is discovered
>implying math isn't just a logical system created by man
kek
>>
File: tumblr_lveu51iHy91qkdq7h.png (294KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lveu51iHy91qkdq7h.png
294KB, 500x329px
>>7779102
> Implying that mathematics aren't reflective of the laws of nature and therefore constant throughout the Universe
>>
>>7779229
>implying there's only one way to represent these laws, and that aliens couldn't possibly come up with another system different from ours, maybe reflecting these alien's way of thinking, which may be different from our way of thinking.
>>
File: 1452109023475.jpg (65KB, 600x609px) Image search: [Google]
1452109023475.jpg
65KB, 600x609px
>>7779229
>implying the laws of nature are constant throughout the universe
>>
>>7779031
Yes
>>
I have a guess that the really smrt ones would symbolize reality using circular geometry over linear/square geometry.

Pi would just be a standard number d00g.
>>
>>7779263
Would also allow for a more intuitive understanding of curves nb
>>
>>7779031

Since Math is nothing but ego orgasms, probably not unless they have egos too.
>>
Depends. We really can't say, and the more you know about why our own brain made mathematics the way it did, the less you're able to try to say how you believe it would go.

Otherwise, people who believe the universe is math, mathematics being discovered, etc, will give a resounding "yes" because in their view it can be no other way. People who don't will be apt to say no.

As far as I'm concerned, the universe might well "be" math, and language, but it's certainly something more beautiful and grand than our hacked together versions. Our math is not -the- math.
>>
>>7779250
They are according to cosmological principle.
>>
Probably, although it may be quite different from what we know, retaining its core principles. Look, throughout history we had several ''ways of doing math'', we kinda figured some stuff out, but when we could not go any further, due to the impossibility of the way we did the math, we changed stuff a little.

Romans and Babylonians, for example, had quite different way of doing math, yet, for the simple stuff, it was rather useful. But then we came out with the way we do now.

Think of it like if it were math, but in another language... and since we have improved the way we do math over the years, it is possible that it may also be a bit more complicated as well; if they are smarter than us, that is.

PS: complicated= perfected, better, or more accurate.
>>
>>7779278
homogeneity is bullshit and you know it
>>
>>7779250
>>implying the laws of nature are constant throughout the universe

The universe literally would not exist if they weren't.
>>
>>7779344
You're acting like you could determine what the laws of nature are
All you know is how they work here, in the observable universe
Why couldn't a different part of the universe be expanding more rapidly than this part, and therefore have different relative "laws" given by apparent "constants"?
>>
>>7779344
What makes people so delusionally arrogant.

You don't even know what "existing" is.
>>
>>7779372
>>7779358

The law of causality demands that the laws of nature be constant throughout the universe.
>>
I see now way around them finding the function concept useful and then the'll not the range of constructive operations

In particular, as the Church Turing thesis seems to hold, if they are clever, then the'll know
z, Sz, SSz, SSSz, ...
S being "next"

i.e. some incarnation of N

N -> A
are lists of a's, which are of type
A x A x A x ยทยทยท x A

And then the'll inevitable classify the possible functions

A -> A
always has the identity

A x B -> B x A always has the permutation

Functions can be indexed, so there are function spaces B^A

etc. etc., and they'll recognize those constructions as a formalization of intuitionistic logic, i.e.
if 'proposition A is true' then 'proposition A is true',
if 'proposition A is true' and 'proposition B is true', then 'proposition B is true' and 'proposition A is true' (commutativity of [math]\land[/math])
i.e Curry-Howard isomorphism
>>
>>7779392
You don't even know what existing is.
>>
>>7779392
>law of causality
>laws of nature

you don't know what you're talking about, stop pretending. take a class on these topics or shut the fuck up
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.