[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've read about quantum nonlocality and a little on Bell's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: quantum-entanglement1.png (272KB, 1015x503px) Image search: [Google]
quantum-entanglement1.png
272KB, 1015x503px
I've read about quantum nonlocality and a little on Bell's Theorem, but there's something I don't quite understand.

So let's say two entangled particles are created and moved to either side of the universe. The idea is that you look at one and you immediately know the state of the other, and information about the other particle has travelled to you instantaneously.

Couldn't that just mean that the state of a particle contains more information that just that state? E.g. say you measure the state of one of the particles as being spin up. You could say that you instantaneously know the state of the other particle, but could it actually be that the state of the particle just tells you both things? If it's state up, the other just has to be down - you don't need instantaneous data transfer.

I'm guessing I'm mistaken somewhere here otherwise this would have been picked up some time ago.
>>
>>7778814

its just mathematical fairytale bullshit with no practical application whatsoever
>>
>>7778814
It's not defined before you measure it. But if you do measure it, it's instantaneously defined for both particles.
>>
For this to have meaning one needs to know the state of a lot of particles, thats a pretty big computer one would need.
>>
>>7778814
You're right, it's just that knowing the state of the far-away particle constitutes instantaneous data transfer.
>>
The classic, goofy analogy is that the entangled particles are like a pair of gloves. If the gloves are in separate boxes and you don't know what state each glove is in (i.e. whether it's the right glove or the left glove), you could carry them to opposite sides of the universe and 'measure' their state (i.e. open the box) and instantaneously know what state the other one is in as well. This isn't instant information transfer though, you're not sending any information across the universe. It's just instant access to knowledge, more like if you wrote a book and two people carried a copy to opposite sides of the universe and started reading.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.