[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Botany

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

How do I become a Botanist? I just watched The Martian and Matt Damon was really cool! :D It inspired me to become one. How do I do that?
>>
Are you fucking retarded.
>>
>>7778158
Either you are retarded or this is bait
>>
Pursue an undergraduate degree in biology. If a school by you has an actual degree in botany, go for that. Take upper level plant biology courses and try to engage in some kind of plant research while there, if possible.

Pursue a PhD in Plant Biology, or another field of biology, using plants as a model system or an organism of interest.

You're welcome.
>>
File: NextLevel.jpg (74KB, 849x566px) Image search: [Google]
NextLevel.jpg
74KB, 849x566px
>>7778158
Botany thread?
>>
Is dendrology a profession?
>>
>>7778590
I've seen people academically study trees before, if that's what you're asking. And I'm sure there are some USDA researchers whose specialties focus on dendrology. It can definitely be applied to other fields, such as stuff in the Forest Service.
>>
>>7778522
damnt, its beauty
>>
>>7778158
Get an undergraduate degree in Biology with Botany/Plant Bio emphasis. Be sure to make your electives count; gear them towards genetics and plant physiology. I think most schools require their biology students to take at least one calculus and one statistics class. I recommend doing this plus a few extra statistics classes (regression analysis and biometry) for good measure. Better yet, do all of that in addition to a Chemistry major or minor. If you can't afford uni at the moment but are motivated, check out university web pages for required courses, talk to local faculty, and google free pdfs of the textbooks they use. It won't matter if they aren't the most up to date for the basic stuff. In addition to not having a mentor, another disadvantage of this approach is that you don't have access to the labs (course components, equipment, chemicals, research) that a university student will. Fortunately a lot of the initial experiments you will do can be done at home and are relatively inexpensive.
>>
File: 1435675157746.jpg (34KB, 640x585px) Image search: [Google]
1435675157746.jpg
34KB, 640x585px
>>7778158
1. Go to India
2. Find designated shitting street
3. Put as much shit in space proof NASA poop bags
4. Go back home
5. Manure.poopng
6. Cut po tay toes in half and place on poo
7. SCIENCE THE SHIT OUT OF IT XD
>>
I think that movie had more to do with radical engineering than botany.
>>
>>7780227
Another aspiring botanist here. I'm more on an ecological, plant-insect interactions route. I tailored my electives to that (organismal plant course, entomology, plant-insect interactions) and supplemented with a chem minor and plant systematics research.

Person I'm responding to went a more molecular approach, but I think both are valid. I think the main thing is to get some plant research experience, OP. If you enroll at an undergrad institution without any extensive plant research going on by any faulty whatsoever (which I have never seen outside of comm college), I recommend applying for NSF REU summer internships. Quite a few have a plant biology focus (UC Riverside, Cornell, Michigan State) I did one at UCR and it was a pretty neat experience.
>>
BIOLOGY IS JUST MEMORIZATION. EVERY RETARD CAN DO IT. YOU BIOLOGISTS HAVE SUCH LOW IQ.

BOW DOWN TO YOUR PHYSICS MASTER RACE.
>>
>>7780689
Anything else to add?
>>
>>7778158
I knew it.

Big Bang Theory -> Influx of retards into physics, turning it into a shit degree when before it was respectable

The Martian -> Influx of retards into botany, turning it into a ultra shit degree when before it was just a shit degree.

You go, anon. Keep basing your life choices on popular culture. Just make sure that while in college you stop watching movies completely. I wouldn't want to see you changing your degree every two months because of the new science flick featuring Roger Rodger the trans engineer.
>>
>>7778522
that apple must've take ages to grow
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.