[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

general linguistics thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: cropped-7777.jpg (136KB, 960x517px) Image search: [Google]
cropped-7777.jpg
136KB, 960x517px
General linguistics thread starts here!

Now about my personal involvement in this field of study:
I'm working on a little project of my own, which has to do with studying English academic/scientific writing and its stylistics in particular. I need a reasonable amount of digitalized articles I could work with (dating from 40s until now) in order to be able to carry on, and I wonder if there are such resources with archives of digitized articles available.
>>
I forgot what its called, but theres a program that lets you read digitized shit from global newspapers

you get them in pdf format and its literally just local papers from all 4 corners of world w/o translation unfortunately

forgot what its called, but guaranteed 100% exists such a repository
>>
>>7776402
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought myself.
In fact, there's a lot of stuff available for free on gen.lib.rus.ec, but hardly any magazines there are actually digitized.
As for translations, that's not my concern at all because I work with source texts directly. Anyway, if you remember its name, feel free to leave a reply.
>>
>>7776400
most irritating misconceptions about linguistics
>linguistics is about learning/teaching languages
>linguists are experts on whether someone's using proper grammar
>studying linguistics will make you a good writer
>linguistics is about culture
>>
>>7777049
>culture
Well that depends on your definition of language and culture — it's not as if there was just one opinion on the matter.

>studying linguistics will make you a good writer
Not sure about that. For one thing many linguists I know speak well, and some of them have a really good turn of phrase.

>linguists are experts on whether someone's using proper grammar
Agreed. On the contrary, when you study linguistics, you could get the idea that grammar conventions don't matter too much.
>>
>>7777049
Because if we define ‘language’ as a system of symbols, cultural codes can be be seen as languages as well. And in any case the aforementioned cultural codes play a big a role in a language, because what lies behind our words relating to beauty, our rude words — they are all culture-defined. Just to give an example, it is because of the long established conception of sin and sexuality that we can refer to a person we don't like as a "bugger" or "faggot". (By that I don't mean imageboards).

Anyway, how would you define linguistics?
>>
>>7777193
the study of the language faculty
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.