[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Integration by substitution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Calc2_WK1_Prompt2.png (40KB, 657x148px) Image search: [Google]
Calc2_WK1_Prompt2.png
40KB, 657x148px
Hi /sci/. My prof presented this problem as part of our first week of homework. He wants us to solve it with substitution and integration by parts, but I don't think we can progress with substitution. Even if we take his suggestion for u to start with, it just derives into 1dx, which now leaves us with two dx's, one of which is under a root. Am I wrong, or does substitution just not work here?
>>
>>7775960
Do integration by parts first and see what happens.
>>
>>7775960
I don't think you understand substitution...
if u = x+1, you need to express du as a function of dx.
Here it's easy: du = dx
then you need to substitute the function of x in the integral with a new (and equivalent) function of u.

x^2sqrt(x+1)dx = (u-1)^2 sqrt(u) du
>>
>>7775960youI would substitute yourself for him when it comes fucking his wife and daughter
>>
>>7775967
And how do you integrate the new function?
>>
>>7775967
Hadn't thought of replacing the x^2 with(u-1)^2. That's definitely a tool I'm going to remember for later... But you still can't integrate the new function, can you? Maybe with another round of replacement....
>>
>>7775975
yee budy id bngag them so hard
>>
>>7775987
[eqn] (u-1)^2 \sqrt{u} = u^{ 5/2 } -2 u^{ 3/2 } + \sqrt{u{ [/eqn]
>>
>>7775960
"seemingly different answers" ? After you put x back in after substitution and integration? I'm skeptical.
>>
>>7775967
>if u = x+1, you need to express du as a function of dx.
ewwww fucking normies
>>
>>7775991
you need to substitute s=sqrt(u) and everything will work out.

don't forget to add boundaries and to modify them accordingly if you make a change of variables.
if x goes from 0 to t, u will go from 1 to t+1, and s will go from 1 to sqrt(t+1)
>>
>>7776091
fuck off asshat.
He's trying to learn, each step counts.
>>
>>7776100
no, you're just a retard breeding other retards
>>
File: 1434208727862.gif (924KB, 180x172px) Image search: [Google]
1434208727862.gif
924KB, 180x172px
>Americans don't even know how to integrate rational functions with goniometric and / or square root funictions

TOP 10 MY FUCKING ASS HAHAHAHAHA

>Calculus

Not even once, my friends. ;)
>>
>>7776093
>Triple substitution with a simple integration problem

>>7776132
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.