[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would happen if your immunity was completely compromised?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: CW3kzE2UoAAjE86.jpg (55KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
CW3kzE2UoAAjE86.jpg
55KB, 600x395px
And you got a virus? If the ill effects we feel are our own immunity, what is the theoretical end result if the body decides not to fight it?
>>
Like you have AIDS.
>>
>>7774521
You die.
>>
>>7774521
Depends on the pathogen. If it were an aggressive hemorrhagic fever, like Machupo, then you'd have invasive proliferation within the nervous system leading to grand mal seizures. There'd also be extensive internal bleeding as your capillaries and vascular system deteriorated. This often results in massive multiple organ failure.

Bugs like Neisseria meningitidis will basically run train on your body, spreading to the meninges and your bloodstream. Once sepsis has set in, you'll die in hours due to shock.

Typically, AIDS patients will suffer from multiple infections as native flora, such as C. albicans, growth goes unchecked. Kaposi sarcoma, which is caused by a herpes virus, is also common. Tuberculosis is known as HIV's executioner. Immunocompromised individuals are extremely susceptible to infection.

>TL;DR
Unchecked infection fucks you good.
>>
>>7774521
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7e3_1438002169

Here's something in the same ballpark as your theoretical situation with all the horrors of it being real; all white blood cells were destroyed alongside chromosomes. The result is not pretty.
>>
>>7775140
I'm not a med guy, but I don't see how a fuck ton of radiation in the same ballpark as an uncontrollable viral infection.

Wouldn't it just be >>7774527 ?
>>
2005 I contracted leukaemia. As a result of the chemo, my immune system was defunct. Despite being in an isolation room, I was bitten on the face by a small bug (or a pore got infected).

The flesh death spread down my face into my neck, I was extremely lucky it didn't spread farther - that dead black flesh is still visible for all to see 10 years later.

Your immunity is the only thing keeping you from very horrible terminations. What is the end result? Death you plonker.
>>
>>7775662
Oh, additionally, due to transport problems I did not get a pint of platelets ONE day.
I started bleeding... I mean EVERY SINGLE vein and artery started bleeding out... couldnt see, eyes full of blood etc, intensive care... not fun.
>>
That means theres nothing keeping the virus from hijacking all of your cells. The infection would progress quickly and rapeth.
>>
>>7775662
>>7775665
shit, that was horrible.
>>
>>7774521
You always die.

On a relevant notice, I always thought how interesting it would be to grow a fetus froma single cell all the way to adolescence, inside a sterilized room.
Although I assume the luck of gut bacteria might be devastating, nobody knows how this would turn out, and it would certainly be very interesting.
I imagine that growth without any pathogen exposure would be much faster and better.
>>
if you had AIDS and got a cold - the symptoms would be mild. Rhinovirus causes cell death in the airway so mild irritation/coughing would be noted but less phlegm, sinus pressure & other symptoms. Its rly the right way to get sick.
>>
>>7774521
>what is the theoretical end result if the body decides not to fight it?

You die in some fashion, death by virus would probably be worse as they have specificity so you might not die from the virus itself, but from secondary bacterial infections after all of your skin falls off, unchecked bacterial growth will rapidly go to septic shock, you'd feel tired as fuck, lose consciousness and die in a relatively calm manner.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.