[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supercontinent and Biodiversity.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: flat,800x800,070,f.u8[1].jpg (257KB, 534x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,070,f.u8[1].jpg
257KB, 534x800px
Dear /sci/,

You are the smartest people I have access to at the moment and I've always been wondering about this and hope you'll have a satisfying answer:

How does a Supercontinent effect the biodiversity of the organisms living upon it? (Both plants and animals)
I'm going to assume there'd be LESS with the exception being small isolated islands or maybe even peninsulas, but maybe you guys know something I don't?

Further more: What would the biodiversity in the OCEAN be like? Would there be less or more? I can't even begin to guess since I'm not 100% sure what the ocean is all about- least of all a SUPER ocean.

Any answers or ideas would be appreciated, thank you /Sci/ence.
>>
>>7772907

Probably the most fundamental important idea that should be taught to biology students today is that biodiversity is overrated.

>How does a Supercontinent effect the biodiversity of the organisms living upon it?

Affect. Not effect. Honestly, it doesn't really matter. It could increase biodiversity, and it could lower biodiversity. Do you mean locally, or for the planet? Local biodiversity could drop in a location, but the total diversity of life on Earth could increase.

But ultimately it doesn't matter. Life doesn't care about biodiversity. You have to understand that originally the biodiversity of life, assuming a common ancestor, was 1. One. There was no biodiversity. So, the idea that biodiversity is important in some abstract sense is a non sequitur. You can get biodiversity from zero biodiversity, n=1.

>(Both plants and animals) You're missing 3 kingdoms here. Life involves more than just plants and animals.

>What would the biodiversity in the OCEAN be like?

You can make hypotheses, like coastline in relation to latitude, and say that longer coastlines nearer to the equator = more biodiversity, but again, who cares? Your professor might care, but nature doesn't give a shit. The real question you should ask is, "What's wrong with less biodiversity?"

Biodiversity and conservation at this moment are in a very sad place.
>>
>>7773003
Ignore this retard.

>>7772907
A good place to start would be to start looking at how continents moving around affected biodiversity.

Supposedly South America was full of marsupials and large animals until it collided with North America, at which point all of the marsupials were wiped out along with lots of other animals in general.
>>
>How does a Supercontinent effect the biodiversity of the organisms living upon it?

Biodiversity will drop.

>What would the biodiversity in the OCEAN be like?

Same with the supercontinent.
>>
Checking in on the thread.

>>7773003
Not exactly what I wanted, but thank you either way.

>>7773044
>South America was full of marsupials and large animals until it collided with North America, at which point all of the marsupials were wiped out along with lots of other animals in general.

Thanks, definitely something to think about.
>>
We don't know. There's a lot about ecology that we don't know and a lot that we think we know but frequently gets proven false. We're not really sure why the amazon has such high biodiversity, we're not really sure why biodiversity drops at higher altitudes. We can make predictions all day but I would wager that if we went 250 million years back and studied the ecology of pangea we would probably be proven wrong with every discovery. Remember ecology is a very young field and it studies very long term processes
>>
>>7775701
>We can make predictions all day but I would wager that if we went 250 million years back and studied the ecology of pangea we would probably be proven wrong with every discovery.

Although it wasn't what I was looking for that certainly gives me something to think about.
Thank you!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.