[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So one of the hypothesis to why alien life hasn't visited

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: bluemarblewest.jpg (1023KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
bluemarblewest.jpg
1023KB, 2048x2048px
So one of the hypothesis to why alien life hasn't visited us before is "They aren't interested in us." (This is also assuming an alien race also has curiosity, which isn't out the realm of possibilities)

Why aren't they interested in us? Well if even 1 out of 1000 solar systems harbored life, it would still be teaming with it. So why would the human race stand out of all other systems that harbor life?

How come we aren't making ourselves interesting?

How could we make this tiny blue dot interesting to extraterrestrials /sci/?
>>
Even if they can travel relatively close to the speed of light, why would they travel 50+ lightyears just to see us?
>>
>>7772554
Please reread the basis of this post
>>
>>7772521
Its spelled teeming in the sense that you meant it

Also aliens do not exist
>>
Maybe they are interested, but don't want to disturb us. Some sort of policy that states that they can't make initial contact with intelligent lifeforms. Earth is probably like some sort of wildlife reserve where they don't feed the monkeys because they would become dependent on handouts and not learn and evolve themselves.
>>
>>7772570
You see that's what my thinking was too as I watch a lot of Star Trek, but there are points where even in the prime directive they can.

So one possibility I thought of was making it look like the entire human race just dissapeared some how without a trace or hint of what happened.

That would grab their attention and void any "directive" they have.
>>
>>7772521
>So one of the hypothesis to why alien life hasn't visited us before
You first need to prove that they have not.
>>
>>7772579
Well since it's not common knowledge I have to assume it hasn't.
>>
Look up Fermi paradox. There are tons of other hypotheses apart from "aliums think we are boring duuude".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox#Hypothetical_explanations_for_the_paradox

The zoo one is mindblowing.
>>
>>7772584
I already know about it, that's why I said
>One hypothesis
I just think this is the most likely one
>>
>>7772577
I don't think that would trick them, its the galactic
equivalent of covering our eyes with our hands
and thinking they cant see us.

If there was some sort of advanced aliens, I think as soon as we found alien life we would be contacted.
Even if we found primitive life, they would stop us from fucking it up.
>>
>>7772597
Hmm you may be right, but still as far as we can tell, finding alien life is extremely difficult and would take time. Now I don't want to be dead when we find life off of Earth.
>>
Well I beyond curiosity, there is no practical reason to contact us. If you look at how modern population developed you can see a trend of decrease in fertility, which means that really advanced aliens must have thousands if not millions of years of having that trend. That being said invading us wouldn't give them batshit, since they can sustain themselves anyways, and if they want to have an habitable planet, they're probably able to terraform a marslike planet. I am quite sure that advanced alien lifeforms already know of our existence, they just don't bother to contact us because of logistical/practical reason
>>
>>7772602
Yes but we aren't discussing the alien civilizations choices, we discussing what we could possibly do to get them to contact us.
>>
>>7772582
That's a pretty stupid reason don't you think
>>
>>7772521
>Why aren't they interested in us?
Because your assumptions that they are anything like us is completely flawed.

The universe is about 14 billion years old, and life on our planet began about 4 billion years ago. For any sort of contact with alien life to be meaningful or recognizable to us, they need to be next to us not just in terms of position but also time.

Imagine as a human you are visiting a planet that is exactly like earth, but 1 billion years in earth's evolutionary history. Do the lifeforms there realize they are visited by aliens? Do they understand? Do they care? Do we try to have treaties or share knowledge with single celled Eukaryotas?

Now imagine the same earth 1 billion years evolutionary difference, but in the other direction. Would we recognize their contact?

Beyond that gap, why do you think we demand special attention? Humans have studied tapirs before, and we have a few in a zoo, but if every tapir was (assum ing capability) thinking to itself "Why aren't humans studying me?" The answer would be a simple "we have, and while we kinda look at you a little still, we've mostly moved on because there's so much more to see."
>>
>>7772606
We could learn how to throw black holes around or create a void bomb. That would surely give us their attention :^)
>>
Well, if said aliens have succeeded at interstellar travel, and they've done so for thousands of years, why would they be interested in us? A planet full of selfish egotistic life-forms that kill each other over pointless things. And to them, we're practically in the stone age. Don't you think they'd be more interested in a highly developed civilizations like their own?
>>
>>7772521
Imagine the universe as a beach.

We're one grain of sand, they're another 1 km away.

In between us and them are a bunch of grains also with life on them.

So even if they could find us, why would they give a shit.
>>
>>7772577
>I watch a lot of Star Trek
That's the source of your problem. Popular culture is a terrible source for anything science related. It's fine as entertainment but shouldn't inform your opinions on the universe in any way.

>>7772521
What makes you think they even know we exist? Even with all our radio signals, we don't stand out in the universe. Even if there is life elsewhere that has the capability to travel through deep space, they may have never even set eyes on our solar system, even from afar.
>>
>>7772676
I tip my fedora for you, m'gentleman of opiniated philosphical opinions.

But in all seriousness, the aliens could be much worse and level 3 civilisations could be hiding themselves to prevent being killed by other level 3 or even level 4 civs.
>>
>>7772676
I'm sure they would at least want to keep an eye on savages with the potential to advance enough to harm them
>>
>>7772672
This. We'll show them for ignoring us, stupid aliens.
>>
>>7772521
Fermi paradox is bullshit. Some values within Drake's equation are just overestimated.
>>
>>7772521
Zoo hypothesis.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.