[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can dogs sense MS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ms feels.png (34KB, 706x642px) Image search: [Google]
ms feels.png
34KB, 706x642px
I have multiple sclerosis. It's been affecting me for years, but I wasn't diagnosed until a couple years ago. I have really bad flare-ups that tend to last for months, including one that started on Christmas Eve 2015. My right hand really hurts, like knives sliced my fingertips open and trouble moving my right arm. There was one attack in mid-July that has persisted in both hands, 15 different hospital visits for SoluMedrol treatments, but it didn't help. It sucks, but there's no need to go further into that.

My question is, can dogs smell or sense multiple sclerosis? My mother has a dog that continuously barks at me for minutes, for over a year, and runs and hides eventually when I'm near. The dog always keeps its distance from me and barks non-stop until I leave. My mother keeps telling me "She can smell your MS" and repeats that to other people. I have never heard of this, and I've tried reading articles from Google searches and have found nothing to support this theory.

Can anyone confirm or deny dogs can or cannot sense MS? From my understanding, some dogs can sense cancer, low or high blood sugar, possibly even predict seizures. There is not much evidence to support this though.

Thoughts? I'm really tired of her claiming this and telling everyone; it irritates me because I can't find any information to support or deny this claim. Can /sci/ help me with this? I didn't know what other board to ask for help on this.

Thanks for your help or if you read or if you just want to send good vibes, sorry if it was a lot.
>>
I don't even know what multiple sclerosis is. But considering there's ways to detect diseases that aren't immediately apparent and aren't a biopsy, I wouldn't discard it.

Or maybe you just act spastic around the dog.

Either way, good luck, mate. Have a cake, take a shitload of drugs and fuck that dog in the arse while you can.
>>
>>7772182
I don't act weird around the dog, just normal conversation with my mother. I don't do anything with the dog or say or yell at it any.

Multiple sclerosis removes myelin sheathes from certain cells around the spine and brain, causing inflammation and lesions. It often causes problems with mobility and pain and extreme fatigue and other problems. Some people are in wheelchairs, which is probably my fate eventually.
>>
>>7772162
They arent plebs m8
Pretty sure dogs install gentoo on their free time
>>
>>7772314
Well obviously, what else would they install? Ubuntu? Mint? lmao

But really, is there a reason a dog would ALWAYS bark and be afraid of someone? She won't let me pet her or anything. I bring her food and she growls and barks. Does she just hate me for no reason? The other 3 dogs are going to die soon, and they like me a lot. But this particular one is 3 years old and I don't want it to be like this forever. Is there something I can do to make it like me? I'm seriously very kind to animals.

Also MS sucks, don't get it.
>>
>>7772162
I partly know what you're going through. Starting when I was 13 I couldn't function properly in the heat, didn't sweat, had periods of mental dysfunction and where my whole body would burn and I felt like I was losing more and more each time. My face hurt especially, I kept this trigeminal nerve pain to this very day. And I knew this at 13, it put my mind in a strange space and I kind of expected to die before my 20's.

Either way, I eventually decided to rule it out. Got 2 MRIs and there was no sign of current or prior lesioning either time. My issues ended up being severe food allergies and mechanical problems in my jaw and neck. I could only fix the former. I lived a long time thinking I must have MS, sorry to hear that you do. Maybe you can try the food allergy angle? It won;t fix anything... probably, but can only do good. Lowers inflammation in the body, maybe it's triggering your immune system's dysfunction. If you do try this, make sure it's from a reputable lab like US Biotek, and evaluates IgG, IgA, and IgE reactivity. It's a good heuristic if anything.

As for dogs, I don't know by what means they could accurately sense anything like this. I don't know.
>>
>>7772284
If I had that it'd be injecting heroin all day long till I die from OD
>>
>>7772337
Dogs do have incredibly sensitive noses and have been proven to be able to detect scent biomarkers of a range of diseases, including things like cancer which you wouldn't assume would have any particular smell, so I wouldn't put it past that dog to be able to smell some compound you're exuding that it doesn't like.
>>
>>7772162
Dogs pick up on their owner's emotions somehow and your mother hates you
>>
>>7772362
Unrelated to thread but just felt like asking.

Is there a name for the type of digestive problems you get from heat (30 degrees Celsius or up)? When it's over 30 I feel like my biological functions start withering. A few years ago, I suffered the worst pain of my entire life because it got too hot. My entire stomach was killing me and I was just thinking to myself if I should ask the doctor to kill me. Gave me some shots and the pain withered away slowly. For the next 3 weeks, I had extreme sensibility in my stomach and could feel my organs interacting with each other due to the neural sensibility, I didn't even feel alive, just felt like a bag of organs. Last year I couldn't even shit or piss for an entire week due to mild heat (25 degrees), which was scary af and had to vomit at least twice times per day.
>>
>>7772611
I don't know.

Obviously the digestive system is highly innervated and quite complex, almost like a brain itself. It could be a failure of some sort of filtering or downregulation function, perhaps in the spine or at some major nerve root / junction? Maybe the brain itself?

Sorry anon. I get these strange cycles of amnesia, and if I ever knew anything relevant, I don't now. It's probable I never did.
>>
>>7772162
My dog barks at black people
>>
File: 1381989529697.png (312KB, 397x537px) Image search: [Google]
1381989529697.png
312KB, 397x537px
>>7772362
I actually eat very healthy thanks to my mom switching to a mostly vegan diet. She helps me with my meals and is literally /fit/ (I showed her the board) so she keeps up with her macros and calories and such. I have been trying to do the same. Heat affects me very badly, but cold does too. It's an icy hell on my nerves.

>>7772497
lmao I've thought about it. I kind of wish I would just die in my sleep, comfy and unaware. I take painkillers but they don't work, so I'm addicted to opiates for no good reason.

>>7772549
They smell malignant cells which obviously differ from regular cells. Supposedly there is something to do with electrical signals in which they can "predict" a seizure. They also supposedly can smell/detect high or low blood pressure. This is just from the research that I've found, so I take it all with a grain of salt. I just thought I would have found something about MS, but nothing.

>>7772564
My mommy loves me even when she hates me <3. I got a ton of food from her today since I can't really cook for myself at the moment. Plus, my toaster oven is broken, so I'm limited to the microwave. My hands are too weak to deal with stove work. Also, my emotions are fine around her dogs, I take a lot of medicine that helps with that.

>>7772611
I don't know specifically about that, did they diagnose you with anything? They probably injected you with steroids to help with inflammation. Summer is rough on me as well. Stress and heat are the two biggest causes for flare-ups with MS, so if you have some sort of disease it could possibly be neurological (though I don't know much concerning stomach problems).

>>7772654
Maybe they're niggers. Not all black people have this disease.
>>
>>7772654
Are you Hank Hill by chance?
>>
>>7772162
My theory: when the myelin gets degraded by the body, the resultant waste is evacuated through transpiration and urine, and dogs can smell that.

To test this theory you could try the following (rudimentary) experiment:

You could take a sample of your transpiration and urine and ask your mother to present each to her dog.

If the dog barks at both, I'd say the experiment is conclusive.

If it only barks at your transpiration, it has something to do with your body scent but probably not with myelin degradation.

If it only barks at your urine, it's probably that it just doesn't like the smell of urine.

Of course this experiment lacks a control sample, but I doubt you will persuade someone of giving you his urine, and it can't be the urine of a relative.

Anyway, I wish you a lot of courage OP. I had a relative with MS too, its really a hard thing to live. Try to enjoy life as much as you can.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.