[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My understanding of clear materials is that they allow all lower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: rs_500x271-131213153852-if4dww.gif (520KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
rs_500x271-131213153852-if4dww.gif
520KB, 500x271px
My understanding of clear materials is that they allow all lower photon energies to pass through due to the energy gap.

This makes sense for UV proof glass, it blocks higher energy photons.

What I dont understand is how a material can only let a certain range of photons through, like most of the visible range but no infrared, because that means its blocking a lower energy level and allowing a higher energy level which doesnt make sense to me if the energy gap between electrons is what causes transparency.

Thanks.
Pic related because it was probably taken with an IR filter.
>>
>>7770289
pls respond
>>
She's hot
>>
I want to know the answer.
>>
>>7770369
Then this is probably the wrong place to ask

Also, she's hot
>>
>>7770289
Photons are only absorbed if their energy level is within the energy range of the filter. The average of the energy range of an IR filter is in the infrared and the range itself is around that level, not above.
>>
File: conclusive proof.jpg (2MB, 2029x4013px) Image search: [Google]
conclusive proof.jpg
2MB, 2029x4013px
>>7770355
>>7770375
She also posts on /b/

I have conclusive proof
>>
>>7770289
Light is a wave not a particle. (I know it's technically both but not always practically.)

Light filters work by blocking certain wavelengths. It has nothing, directly, to do with the energy of the photon beyond how that energy changes the wavelength of light.
>>
>>7770289
>doesnt make sense to me if the energy gap between electrons is what causes transparency
There's more than one energy gap in a material.
>>
>>7770355
ty for input
>>
so IR filters have energy levels and or particles that block only IR light?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.