[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: combine_images.png (2MB, 1512x1008px) Image search: [Google]
combine_images.png
2MB, 1512x1008px
Has anyone else ever done this?

I recently found some really useful lecture notes online that I wanted to have a physical copy of, but they were too long to print out. So I had a book made and it was quite cheap.

pic related
>>
>>7770256
On our university campus there's a shop that does all sorts of printing and binding. I've had them print tons of lecture notes for me.

I find it easier to read lecture notes than a proper textbook because lecture notes are written more formally (instead of flowery English prose) and they seem to explain intuition better.
>>
>>7770256
How is this blogshit thread worthy?
>>
>>7770256
How is this not a textbook? It's not condensed much at all.

The whole point of notes is to leave out all the filler in textbooks and get straight to the point.
>>
>>7770256
You can also have your ordered books rebound, OP.

I'm going get a hardcover binding on my complex analysis text once I finish the class. Permabound is a company which does it for under $15 USD.
>>
>>7770290
>How is this not a textbook? It's not condensed much at all.
It is only ~60 pages.
https://empg.maths.ed.ac.uk/Activities/Spin/SpinNotes.pdf
>>
>>7770256
is that using LaTeX?
>>
>>7770290
No, that's totally wrong. Check out these 700+ pages of lecture notes:

http://math.stanford.edu/~vakil/216blog/FOAGjun1113public.pdf
>>
>>7770678
Also Spivak's 5-volume Differential Geometry magnum opus is actually just his lecture notes from teaching.
>>
>>7770256
That looks incredible!
Could you go in detail on how you achieved that? I'll try asking my local stationary store to do it.
Have you tried printing an entire book? Should it normally result in cheaper prices?
This is great.
>>
>>7770759
>how you achieved that?
I used this site. http://www.thebookpatch.com/
>>
>>7770785
Nice, thanks
>>
>>7770785

how much?
>>
>>7770847
This one cost me $11. I got it in color print though, which was probably more expensive.
>>
Sometimes I take all the papers I need to read in a week and get htem printed and spiral bound at the campus bookstore.

Takes like twenty bucks for printing and binding three hundred pages or so
>>
>>7770256
Hey what a coinkeydink, I read part of those during christmas. The colors don't serve a purpose though, why'd you get it done in color?
>>
>>7770867
What's their copyright policy?
If I sent a .pdf of a book I got from libgen, will they print it?
>>
>>7770256
Yeah. I did it for my Intelligent Systems Analysis class.
>>
>>7771031
Could you go in detail on how you did it? Have you tried printing an entire book? Should it normally result in cheaper prices?
>>
I bound my loose-leaf LinAlg book using chicago screw posts and a thin cardboard spine I cut out and punched holes in. The loose-leaf papers already had hole punches in them.
>>
>>7771028
I have no idea. I don't know if they even really look at what is being printed.
>>
>>7771028
You could eventually be fucked.
http://www.thebookpatch.com/Copyright.aspx
But the chances are probably slim.
>>
>>7771076
That page makes it seem like they won't care unless someone reports it first. Thus, if you don't behave stupidly and instead keep the printed work to yourself, you should be fine.
>>
>>7770256
Is that A4 paper?
What if I have a pdf with non-standard paper size? Do they scale it perfectly or what?
>>
>>7771286
>What if I have a pdf with non-standard paper size? Do they scale it perfectly or what?

They don't scale anything. You have to have the proper dimensions before you upload your document.
>>
>>7771286
>What if I have a pdf with non-standard paper size? Do they scale it perfectly or what?

You have to scale it yourself.
>>
>>7770256
Lel your hand looks like a book.
>>
>>7770256
>pinors
>>
>>7770256
>Has anyone else ever done this most basic thing that every student does and is encouraged by the lecturers?
>>
>>7770266
At my uni they even have their own print service so courses that offer mainly lecture notes and no book can send the pdf and then students can order a hardcopy of it for near the price it costs to print. Quite nice actually.
>>
>>7770256
How's the quality overall?
Good paper gramature?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.