[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, i have a math assignment that involves astronomy of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Hey guys, i have a math assignment that involves astronomy of our solar system. I need to come up with research question/aim that can be answered using math, like calculus and linked to astronomy. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions?
>>
Find the rate of change in the velocity of a planet in an elliptical orbit as a function of time

EZPZ
>>
File: 1409259295697.jpg (54KB, 446x361px) Image search: [Google]
1409259295697.jpg
54KB, 446x361px
gravity
>>
>>7768722
Why do experimental observations of the precession of mercury not aline with predictions made by newtonian gravity?
>>
>>7768734
align*

my bad
>>
>>7768734
Not OP.

This is because of tidal forces right?

Or are you one of those tin foil hat MOND guys?
>>
>>7768745
OP here
I think it involves general relativity.
>>
>>7768745
It is because of GR. I believe it was the first test they used as experimental verification of GR.
>>
>>7768722
What level of math are you in? This should've been included in the OP
>>
>>7768774
Im in highschool calc which basically means I know the basics about integral and differentiation. But I know the concepts and meanings behind differentiation such as acceleration, velocity and instantaneous rate.
>>
>>7768780
Perhaps focus on something simple such as Kepler Laws.
Second one can be proofed in terms of a differential with respect to time and it should be fairly straightforward if you know concepts of angular momentum and circular motion.

Although, it is still difficult to judge what kind of level you require

If that wouldn't do the trick then the first response seems like a reasonable one to do. Good Luck
>>
>>7768722
Some suggestions might be to try and derive Kepler's law of periods from conservation of angular momentum. If you want to impress your teacher, this will do the trick. Ask your resident AP Physics teacher, he will tell you what you need to know, or otherwise look it up. Its a fairly standard, straightforward calculation that is included in most textbooks nowadays.
>>
>>7769269
* One suggestion, sorry
>>
>>7769269
This, then go on explaining when orbit is measured, there's an error present that can be only fixed by taking into consideration the speed of light.
>>
>>7768722
try to show that in fact we can't predict acurately the future of the solar system
https://www.ias.edu/about/publications/ias-letter/articles/2011-summer/solar-system-tremaine

keyword : chaos
tl;dr starts from
>So what are the results?
>>
>>7769269
Do u think that will involve enough math to not be considered as physics?
>>
>>7770013
if you don't do math, you're not doing physics...
>>
Model of orbital period of planets within our solar system by using angular momentum and circular motion.

Is a good RQ or aim in order to make it stay as a math assignment
>>
USe black body radiation from the sun and Botzmann's laws to determine the mean temperature of the planets and our moon. Note how planets with atmospheres have a much higher temperature.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.