[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So there is obviously a correlation between extremely intelligent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: th.jpg (8KB, 225x299px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8KB, 225x299px
So there is obviously a correlation between extremely intelligent doctors (Doctor House level), and whether or not they went to a prestigious medical school. So my question is, is it possible for one to be as good of a doctor as some of the world-renowned and even fictional doctors after attending medical school at a sub-par university, due to their lack of motivation to strive for high GPA's but still apparent presence of potential and intelligence of these extremely good doctors? Give me some hope.
>>
Fucking hell, some of you on here ask some weird ass questions.
>>
>>7768716
>Dr. House
>extremely intelligent
>>
Almost all graduates from prestigious schools are really smart

There are still really smart graduates from non prestigious schools

Which medical school you attend and how smart of a doctor you are isn't really causative. Those really smart doctors who went to prestigious medical schools would have been just as smart if they went to the University of Indiana
>>
>>7768716
You do know that that's a TV show, and he's not a real person, right?
>>
>>7768716
what this guy said
>>7768727
the difference between going to harvard and going to some other school is the people you go with
>>
Fuck actually practicing medicine. Just get your degree and start a TV show. #doctoroz
>>
>>7768716
You can still be a good doctor even though you're not going to the best school in the country. You're never going to be the absolute "best", at anything. Especially if your metric for greatness is "how famous is the school I happen to attend".
>>
>>7768716
If you want a good doctor in the US you have to be extremely rich. My sickly mother has to go to a hospital in Springfield and all the doctors there are illiterate immigrants.
>>
Being a doctors is literally the dumbest color by numbers job ever. Most people you will work with are lazy idiots and old fucks that can't write a note, which is what you'll do all day, writing notes in a dark room for 16+ hours /day. After residency you become a cunt egotistical person who is burnt out, you will know how to do 3 things and you will follow algorithms set by someone else hoping not to get sued.
>>
>>7768726
He is
>>
>>7769199
It does seriously seem so easy, other than surgery which doesn't even seem like something you need an education for. You could have an educated person just telling a mechanically skilled surgeon what to do.

All most doctors do is look at people, diagnose, treat/consult, and prescribe. They need to do a lot of paperwork too but anybody could do that. And nurses/techs or whatever are all fucking retarded women who were just looking for an easy, well paying job "to help people <3"
>>
File: disappointing.png (432KB, 437x472px) Image search: [Google]
disappointing.png
432KB, 437x472px
>>7769222

>4chan users speculating on what it takes to be a surgeon despite no understanding of the field at all
>>
>>7769199
>>7769222
I really hope you guys aren't math or physics majors cause I'm really starting to hate you guys despite my previous respect for the subject.

Besides a basic general physician who works in a small center or a basic psychiatrist, the cases you see are not as predictable as just give X for Y. The amount of information you need to fluidly handle and divide for each specialty is insane and is the difference between a patient getting better or not. Sure maybe 9 out of 10 patients will have something basic but you are not expected to just fold on that 10th patient. Not to mentioned what may seem like a typical case could quickly change in a heartbeat. Yes while there is a decent amount of paper work saying you will be "writing notes in a dark room for 16+ hours" is far from the truth as anyone who has done even a few hours of shadowing could tell you.

Surgery absolutely needs a lot of education and experience as the idea of having someone who just has a steady hand but has to take orders from someone else 24/7 would be needlessly inefficient and would put someone's life in danger from just simply hearing the wrong thing or misunderstanding where exactly to cut. You can only have so many people around a patient there is not enough room for another person to bark what to actually do when that is the main surgeon's job. Plus the surgeon himself needs to know what the best way to proceed with a surgery would be based on his skills and versus the benefits and risks of doing the surgery in that way. Plus, what if that one person had to leave the operating room for whatever reason and something happened? There's a reason that there are multiple surgeons in an operating room at all time and all of them are expect to competent.

/sci/ can state some elitist things but some poster's asinine hatred for medicine is by far the worst.
>>
>>7769199

I like emergency medicine. Lots of the cases are routine, but when I'm in majors then they can be really interesting and do get you thinking, in a high-stress time-constrained environment with instant feedback, positive or negative. It's great fun, and most days does challenge me, and to somehow suggest that any trained monkey could do it only shows your ignorance of the subject.

If your only exposure to medicine is pop culture, that's akin to the general public's opinions on... Well, basically any field. Doesn't do it justice in the slightest. I believe you would have appreciation for the field if you had experience of it.

Admittedly lots of surgeons are just scalpel jockeys, though.
>>
>>7769478
you guys are dipshits who misdiagnose people constantly and half the ICU time is spent undoing the dumb shit you guys did wrong. You're only good for quick procedures and return visits from uninsured idiots/homeless.
YOU DO HAVE BIG EGOS THO.
>>
>>7769274
Yeah that's what the job requires but most physicians don't live up to it, most people are treated via algorithm at a snails pace. Not to mention the stupid idiosyncrasies in your application of this "basic science" [hurrdurr regurgitate shit until you pass your steps and boards]where half the Drs end up cursing at each other in the middle of the hallway.
>>
>>7768716
if you were intelligent you would realise that you're talking about correlations and populations with variance.

So in general it is possible but no, you are not extremely intelligent.
>>
>>7769682
I'm training to do a joint CCT in EM and ICM so I do try to keep long term care in consideration, but do bear in mind that my job is to stabilise and move, not to treat definitively (for the most part).

Totally agree on the egos, but after bashing my head against the wall countless times trying to get neuro to check out a patient I think it could be much, much worse.
>>
>>7768716
>attending medical school at a sub-par university
Doesn't exist.
Every US MD school will produce qualified doctors.
67% of applicants do not get admitted to a single US MD school.
Gaining admission to any US MD school is an achievement.
>>
Whats your worse case of misdiagnosis? An ER doc once thought i had a hernia, passed a kidneystone a week later. Fucked up part was i was pissing blood then unable to urinate.
>>
Doctors tend to be pretty smart simply because it is competitive. The actual job is fairly mundane and algorithmic.

Computers will eventually become far better at diagnosis and treatment prescription. Doctors will still be in the loop to sign off on everything, mainly for insurance reasons.

Surgery will remain human dominated for much longer, although robotic and AI assisted tools will creep in more and more.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.