[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you have experience grading undergraduate courses before?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: java.jpg (60KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
java.jpg
60KB, 500x600px
Any of you have experience grading undergraduate courses before? I just got offered a position to grade an undergrad CS course and I was wondering if you guys had any experiences doing this kind of stuff.

Teaching experiences/thoughts/horror stories thread?
>>
>>7768351
Sounds fucking awful.
Grading is the worst part of being a teacher.
Hence why them niggas is outsourcing it to poor students.
>>
>>7768351
Uh... you just grade homework and tests for minimum wage... Do you really need advice on this?
>>
>>7768356
>>7768359
Well it's not entirely grading. I have to hold office hours too. But I get to charge the department for the office hours every week and report my own hours grading so it's 2-18hr/week at $10.25/hr. That's pretty good for a part time job student job IMO, especially since it will help me not forget the material.

Is it really that bad of a job? I was hoping it would be easy. I'm most worried about students arguing with me about grades since most of them will be around my age or older
>>
>>7768369
>Is it really that bad of a job?
relative to what.. hauling bricks on a construction yard all day, no. being a bartender, yes.
>>
>>7768351

GIVE ZERO PARTIAL CREDIT FOR BOILER PLATE JAVA CODE

If they made 0 progress in actually solving the problem, they should get a 0.

>inb4 you're fired for being "too strict" and the professor gives a blanket +50% to everyone.
>>
>>7768379
It's not actually Java. It's computer organization/architecture (which is a sophomore course typically). So basically it has an introduction to the Von Neumann architecture, some stuff about how modern CPUs, memory hierarchy, virtual memory, etc. Most of what I will be grading will be assembly coded for the MIPS instruction set

I do plan on giving extra credit if I can figure out the thought process behind incorrect code (and if it makes some sense) because assembly language is very unforgiving, especially when you're first learning it
>>
>>7768383
Why don't they teach an instruction set that actually gets used.
>>
>>7768397
Because MIPS is simpler and there are lots of good educational resources for it, as well as emulators
>>
>>7768351
I've tutored and marked for a few classes, including some calculus line ones, discrete maths, and algebra. Marking is extremely boring, but pays well (I get 50 AUD an hour to mark assignments) and is essentially quite easy, so you know. There're much worse jobs out there, even if you're in the US getting paid fuck all to do it.

As far as stories go... There's not really much to say. You mark the assignments, if its a first year class you'll likely get to have a lot of laughs at the perplexingly stupid things some students do. Comp sci students are especially amusing. I'm not sure if its universal but at my university they display a stupidity that is surprising and fun, and to my pleasure, they have to take discrete maths!
>>
>grading, or teaching, or tutoring/TAing for a class
Prepare for the worst disappointment of your life. It is truly a gut-wrenching feeling to witness human beings at a university go through a class, attend lectures, complete homework assignments, even ask questions in class, then fail miserably because they have learned absolutely nothing.

However, failing students' exams are a lot easier to grade.
>>
>>7768438
I will take joy in failing people if I think they're actually retarded. I expect to be pretty merciful overall because I thought the class was a little tricky when I took it but I actually can't wait to fail retards who think they can skate by doing no work to get a C
>>
>>7768369
>$10.25/hr
What shit school do you go to? I got paid 15$/hour to grade in my undergrad and got doubled to $30/hour in grad school.
>>
>>7768798
It's actually a pretty competitive school. I think the pay is so low because too many people want to be graders relative to the average CS graduating class size
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.