[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Imagine if there happened to be a general consensus to divert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (82KB, 600x274px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 600x274px
Imagine if there happened to be a general consensus to divert all attention into a particular field of Science, which field would it be and why?
For me it's Medicine, at least we would less likely die out and hopefully find cures for shit like AIDS and Cancer this way or possible be immortal.
>>
Mathematics, obviously.
>>
>>7767731
Electrical engineering, battery technology specifically
>>
>>7767731
Chemistry. Central science, so advances in chemistry directly impact all other fields of scientific knowledge.
>>
File: 213213.png (158KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
213213.png
158KB, 1280x1024px
>>7767731
You mean something that isn't being pushed or held back for monetary reasons? It'd be absolutely fucking amazing.

Medicine would be the first logical choice. Then people would be healthier and smarter. From there, anything is possible.

But, you have to start early. Like targeting an entire generation of babies until they reach useful ages where they can really contribute.
>>
>>7767731
Mathematics. Why? Let me explain.

We gather all the mathematicians in the world (including people who only have a bachelors) and give them all an aptitude test. Then, we get the people who do research in pure and applied math and let them do their thing as before.

We get the people who tested good for medicine and tell them to go to med school. As statistics show, math and stats majors have the highest acceptande rates in med school AND perform the best out of everyone else, which is why they accept them so much.

Send the math majors who were good for applied but not enough for research and give them engineering books.

The ones who were good for physics are given books in physics.

etc. etc.

Now we have 'Mathematical Medicine', 'Mathematical Engineering', 'Mathematical Physics', 'Mathematical Chemistry', 'Mathematical Biology', etc. as math majors can master literally anything.

Results:
Immediately research in math continues
In about a year all the engineering industries continue to work.
In about two years there is already research going on in physics, chemistry and biology by mathematicians.
In about 4 years the medicine industry is working again with mathematicians doctors.

And everything goes back to normal. Because math majors can do literally everything.
>>
>>7768058
But, math doesn't do anything at all really.
>>
>>7768059
>What is pure research
>What is applied research
>What is statistics
>What is theoretical computer science
>What is quantitative analysis
>What is data science
>>
Neurology.

Learn how to make people synthetically happy, solve all the world's problems.
>>
>>7767731
The only reason this would happen would be to stop some kind of impending doom like diverting all attention to space technology to stop an incoming asteroid, or diverting all attention to medicine to stop some kind of massive pandemic, or diverting all attention to finding new sources of energy when fossil fuel reserves really start to run out.
>>
Alternative Energies and material science
>>
>>7768059
It is the base of everything. but on it's own, is not practical. what he propose take all the mathematicians and instruct them in other areas, so they can perfom better than any non mathematician. but in my opinion, it's better if we just teach mathematics to every motherfucker in this shithole
>>
Sociology. Why? Read "Foundation" by Asimov
>>
>>7768845
But that isn't what OP is asking
>>
So people would just pay attention to said field? Like we'd have an entire section on the nightly news dedicated to medicine or what not?
>>
>>7767731
Usually I hate phdcomics but this one is poignant.
>>
>>7768870
It'd be dope if people treated sociology with that much rigor. Unfortunately, even the so-called "mathematical sociologists" are pretty shit. They just write essays where they use math metaphors. It's really disappointing.

At my university math and psychology are in the same buildings. I made some jokes about it being the "psychohistory building" first semester but no one got it so I stopped.
>>
File: 1446848096211.png (54KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1446848096211.png
54KB, 600x800px
>>7767731
>I want to cure homos from their AIDS
>>
>>7768077
We did that 8,000 years ago. It's called beer.
>>
>>7768058
>what is redundancy
>>
>>7767731
>Imagine if ...
No, imagination can be good, but it is a poor substitute for knowledge.
>>
>>7767731
Space due to large asteroid impact in X years.

Not much else in terms of natural disasters can cause >90% destruction of population basically overnight. Even the most deadly of pandemics only kill small portions of the population because they burn themselves out/quarantine/etc.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.