[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good afternoon /sci/! This is your chance to show that you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: IMG-20160107-WA0006.jpg (783KB, 2368x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160107-WA0006.jpg
783KB, 2368x4208px
Good afternoon /sci/!

This is your chance to show that you're not all undergrad faggots...
Time for Kummer-Dedekind and chill.
>>
Undergrad fag here. What does (p, a)^(n)=(p) and that little cross symbol mean in the first question? And why algebraic number theory? Why not analytic? Or are you doing both? And aren't you in your first/second year?
>>
PhD here. What is a "number"?
>>
>>7767643
>what is the little cross symbol
gtfo
>>
File: 1450704648920.jpg (6KB, 129x119px) Image search: [Google]
1450704648920.jpg
6KB, 129x119px
>>7767609
ho my christ, 2016 and still doing seriously classical algebra. I bet you paid for this.

when will leave ZFC ? when will you grow ?
>>
>>7767609
I'm a math PhD student and I don't give a shit about number theory. Sorry, I'm not autistic.
>>
>Let
[math]f = \sum_{k=0}^n a_{k} X^{n-k} [/math] with [math]a_0=1[/math]

I hate that shit.
>>
>>7767643
>(p, a)^n=(p)
Those generated ideals are the same.
>that little cross symbol
It's the doesn't divide symbol as in p^2 does not divide a_n. The exercise itself is a trivial consequence of Eisenstein's criterion. A joke for everyone who took any class in Algebra.
>>
>>7767609
>For this exam the use of lecture notes...is allowed
>Results in the lecture notes...may be used

Dropped.
>>
>use separate sheets for the two problems
>writes directly on the exam paper
Can't follow instructions, automatic fail.
>>
>>7767719
It's not that trivial anon. Why doesn't p divide [O_K:Z(alpha)]?
>>
>>7767719

The number of problem sets I turned in that primarily consisted of the word "Eisenstein" and nothing else was hilarious.

> mfw full points
> O
>>
>>7767609
>This is your chance to show that you're not all undergrad faggots...
That's funny, because I learned this in undergrad.
>>
>>7767860

Trufax.
>>
>>7767609
>majoring in mathematics
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7767860
Post proof faggot.
>>
>>7768771
You've never heard of undergrads learning algebraic number theory? I took a fourth year course on it that went through the relevant sections of Cassels/Frohlich that cover the material on that problem set

>>7767851
How retarded are you that your professors test you multiple times extensively on the same concept?
>>
>>7768771
How do I prove when I learned algebraic number theory?
>>
>>7769052
>says he can do higher level math
>cant do simple proof
>>
The only hard math thread at /sci/ at this moment, I am a bit underwhelmed.

>>7768789
I am an undergrad too (inb4 brag thread), but you kinda implied your uni did this as an undergrad course.

>>7769052
Why don't you solve 1(i) then?
>>
Okay so I guess I'm retarded but how do I prove [math](p) \subset (p,\alpha)^n[/math] I have thought about it but I still don't see how to use the hypothesis.
>>
>>7767737
At a certain point, professors stop making you need to know everything without any references because that's not the point of education. Groveling for gold stars is for babies.
>>
>>7769669
You might want to use Kummer-Dedekind, but you have to prove it can be applied.
>>
>>7767609
>final exam
>less than 50% of the final grade of the course

lmao American grade inflation.
>>
>>7769693
>lecture notes are allowed
>>
>>7769686
Oh okay, I did not know about this theorem. It changes everything !
I'll try to write a solution for the whole thing at some point today
>>
>>7769694
I'm sorry that you are only used to 'write down the definition of X'-tier exams. There are a lot of ugly algorithms in this course and it seems quite pointless to me to try to learn them by heart.

>>7769698
Nice.
>>
>>7769694
Who cares if lecture notes are allowed.
An actually challenging problem is not a recitation and should not become trivial if you have your notes with you.
If it is the case for your exams I would suggest considering transfering
>>
>>7769669
Let [math]b_i = \frac{a_i}{p} [/math]
[eqn] \alpha^n = - a_1 \alpha^{n-1} - \ldots - a_{n-1} \alpha - a_n = p \left( -b_1 \alpha^{n-1} - \ldots - b_n \right)[/eqn]
[eqn] (p, \alpha)^n = (p^n , p^{n-1} \alpha , \ldots , p \alpha^{n-1} , \alpha^n) = (p^n , p^{n-1} \alpha , \ldots , p \alpha^{n-1} , p \left( -b_1 \alpha^{n-1} - \ldots - b_n \right)) = p (p^{n-1} , p^{n-2} \alpha , \ldots , \alpha^{n-1} , \left( -b_1 \alpha^{n-1} - \ldots - b_n \right)) = (p)[/eqn]
>>
>>7769718
Why does the last equality hold?
>>
>>7769693
This is Dutch, and besides more than half surely won't pass, and I don't think anyone got higher than an 8/10. So I don't understand what's inflated here.
>>
>>7769760
From Eisenstein we know that the polynomial [math]f [/math] is irreducible.
Since [math] \alpha [/math] is the root of an irrudicible polynomial of degree [math] n [/math] we know that the only rational numbers [math] \lambda_0, \lambda_1, \ldots , \lambda_{n-1} [/math] with
[math] \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \lambda_k \alpha^k = 0[/math]
are [math] \lambda_0 = \ldots = \lambda_{n-1} = 0 [/math].

Just think about what this implies because I have no fucking idea. The only algebra classes I ever took were linear algebra and an introduction to group theory.
>>
>>7767609
>haha, yeah, I'll show all those internet strangers how cool I am!
>>
>>7769807
Can't you stand the sight of actual, non calc1-tier math, anon?
>>
>>7769799
>The only algebra classes I ever took were linear algebra and an introduction to group theory.

It's pretty good that you remembered Eisenstein's Criterion then.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.