You guys got any stories about some dumb interns or people at your work?
Some people clearing show they don't know jackshit and somehow still get hired.
I had a newbie dogman direct the crane i was operating through a fresh brick wall. Brought the entire wall crashing down two stories and cleaned up 15 metres of 3 story heavy duty scaffold with it. 5 minutes earlier there had been 4 brickies on the scaff. First and only time in my life i've completely lost control and assaulted someone. To this day i struggle to believe no one was killed or injured considering the odds
Freshman math major who just applied for an internship bumping for interest.
I really want to know other's fuck ups if only to make me more aware of myself so that I don't become one of these stories.
At uni one of my fellow students set fire to his arm with a Bunsen burner. As we turned to listen to the teacher he put his hands on his hips for some reason which meant his arm jutted out over the flame.
Next thing we heard was a "Woosh" as the sleeve went up in flames. He just pulled the coat off and chucked it on the floor and stamped on it. No harm done but he looked pretty embarrassed.
>be first year biochem student
>it's organic chemistry time
>we have to heat up something with a heat basket
>turn on basket
>forget about it
>go get the round-bottom flask with the solution
>put the flask in the basket
>everything evaporates into thick, brown, probably carcinogenic smoke
>spend an extra hour remaking the solution
Not that bad I guess.
It had to be gradually heated up, but we had just plugged the thing in prior to putting the flask in it, like 5-10 minutes before or something, so when we inserted the flask it was already fully heated.
>brought out the hazards that day
>number 1 rule: DO NOT SNIFF ANYTHING
>3 of the 7 chemicals we were messing with could knock you cold
>chick sniffs one of the vials
>walks 3 steps back to her group
>WHAM, shit everywhere
>greaaaat, had to stop lab for clean up
I swear man, shit happens every year.
This is one my lab TA told us
chick accidentally mixed a vial of cyanide solution with high concentration acid thinking it was the sodium hydroxide. accidentally inhaled the gas and lab was closed while she shifted on to the hospital.
It's not that hard to pay attention, I just don't understand the stupidity of some people in the lab.
Nobody should be quiet in certain situations. Especially if you're in a lab and somebody is doing something stupid and you see it. See something been done wrong, people need to speak up.
So if people here are quiet as a mouse in real life, it would indeed suck to be in a lab with someone from /sci/