[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Khan Academy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: khaacademy.png (3KB, 320x158px) Image search: [Google]
khaacademy.png
3KB, 320x158px
How reliable does /sci/ think Khan Academy is? I'm currently thinking of using it to learn pre-calculus before teaching myself calculus, with the hopes of learning higher level math subjects(for my own pleasure/hobby).

Is the site good? If you don't think so, please elaborate on your reasoning or simply outline the flaws it possesses.

Thanks in advance
>>
two other sites worth noting are

http://patrickjmt.com/

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
>>
>>7767137

I'll look into them, thanks anon.
>>
I think it would be better to buy a book, read it. If you don't understand something, then use Khan Academy.
>>
>>7767129
If you need a skim of some shit quickly, it's not bad. Don't use it to review an entire subject or something, though. I see people that try to do that. You use KA to hear something taught in a different way after a lecture if you don't understand it at all, not to learn for the first time if you have the choice, IMO.

TBQH, I don't see the point other than to educate people in 3rd world countries.

Universities in first world countries have free tutoring, office hours... all of the damn students who can help you... I don't see the point of websites like KA for any university student for anything other than a last resort.
>>
>>7767189
You should step up your reading comprehension game mate, OP mentioned that he learns Maths as a hobby so your rambling about Uni services doesn't exactly do anything.
>>
>>7767129
https://www.purplemath.com/

These guys are really great, but it takes a bit of reading comprehension.
>>
>>7767129
Khan academy is amazing for a refresher, as for learning it depends on you.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 401x192px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 401x192px
>>7767194
Yes, Mr i got 800 for critical reading.
>>
Im currently working through Precalc on KA.

You get exposure to a lot of stuff but theres not really enough variety in the questions and it doesnt do good for retention once a topic is 'mastered'.

If you are using it to learn (im using it as a refresher), id suggest doing it twice over so that you actually see how much you retain
>>
>>7767211
An ape on valium could get an 800 on any SAT section.
>>
>>7767129
Personally I use it as a supplement to my studies for concepts I have difficulty understanding.

Got to give it to Sal, he's extremely skilled at making difficult concepts seem simple as hell
>>
Is it good for first time learning of high school mathematics?
>>
>>7767276
Ok Mr. MIT Grad
>>
>>7767129
If you can teach yourself math why not enrol in a community college?
You could start working toward a degree and if you do well other people will pay for it.
>>
>>7767820
Khan Academy helped me not fail out of high school. So yes. I should stress that it is merely supplemental; you can't get the same education with just some youtube videos and simple questions.
>>
>>7768027
How would I go about self-learning high school maths?
>>
>>7767129
Very reliable, it helped me pass a few of my harder classes.

You don't really know if you learned the material until you test yourself on it though, so I wouldn't say it's a stand-alone teaching tool. You won't master all the subjects just by watching the lessons.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.