[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will computer science become worthless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: ComputerScience.png (246KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
ComputerScience.png
246KB, 384x313px
Will a computer science degree become worthless as hardware becomes cheaper and more powerful, and bruteforcing solutions will be possible?

How will quantum computers affect this?
>>
No, because quantum computers are not infinitely fast and do not have infinite memory.
>>
my god go read a book please
>>
Computer science will always be useful, so long as there idiots like you.
>>
>implying N = NP

If you would know about real CS you would know that quantum computers won't be an issue.
Especially in complexity theory you would learn that even with quantum computers algorithms, solution and these kinds won't be solved.
You might look into random access machine and complexity theory.

Concept's won't be find themselves either.
>>
>>7766444
>as there idiots
Also as long as there are idiots like me who don't know how to use proper fucking grammar
>>
>>7766442
And problems does not require infinitely fast computers, so what's your point?
>>
>>7766439
>The year 3016
>Hardware has become so powerful and cheap no one cares
>Youtube fired all of their computer scientists and hired OP to handle everything.
>Now when a user searches for a video on youtube, instead of it going through a really ordered list, the algorithm is now a for loop that goes through every single video in their database until they find your video.

Even if going through every search result just to find one would take as much as our methods today, the electrical power you will be wasting by iterating through all that bullshit will be an actual financial waste.

Now that I've shown how fucking retarded you are, please go the fuck back to /g/ you mindless drone.
>>
It's a bit like going back in time and saying "will a degree in maths be useless as we've calculators now" OP is dumb af.
>>
File: 1275438373087.png (99KB, 561x595px) Image search: [Google]
1275438373087.png
99KB, 561x595px
>>7766446

Thank you for being the stereotypical subhuman CS major that doesn't have a clue about complexity theory. Keep making yourself look bad
>>
File: bingbing.jpg (54KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
bingbing.jpg
54KB, 640x424px
>>7766439
pic related, OP's train of thought.
>>
>>7766446
>N = NP
You! You're the motherfucker that turned my degree into a meme!
>>
>>7767016
Care to elaborate what type of problems need to be solved by clever methods rather than bruteforce?

>>7767027
Why is he wrong?
>>
>>7767467
>what type of problems need to be solved by clever methods rather than bruteforce?

Problems that you need to solve as fast as you can.

Problems that you want to solve as fast as you can to save electricity.
>>
>>7767467
>what type of problems need to be solved by clever methods
hard problems far beyond your ken
>>
>>7767472
But with faster hardware, an effective method may make a program 1 second faster. Does that second really matter? And does that mean that cheap electricity will make CS unneccessary?

>>7767477
...Give me an example
>>
>>7767507
>an example
256-bit decryption
>>
How does this work?
>>
>>7767514
E
>>
>>7767507
>Does that second really matter

Yes, if you run big computers that run shit like google, facebook or even 4chan. That second really matters because with millions of users accesing your service per second, that adds up to a million extra computing seconds per second. And as we know, shit like google is not just used by a million people.

I think you have the mindset that all computers are used like you use your laptops and big web services like google are just magical tools made by all powerful aliens.

>cheap electricity will make unneccessary?
Unless electricity becomes literally free then there will always be savings by having to do less calculations.

And even if electricity was free, you'd still want to do shit as fast as you can, specially if you are a big company.

Imagine you have an online service and you have 20 giant computers to handle everything. These computers will handle requests with no problem to say 1000 users, however, when the number of users at a time goes beyond 1000, their request has to wait before other requests have been handled. That means that if you don't save time by using good algorithms, as your business grows you will have to needlessly buy more giant computers (which is not only a financial problem but also a space one. Where are you going to fit all those big computers?) to handle users that you could have handled by simply being smart.

And I know where you are going

>Well, what if these super fast computers were also the size of a cellphone

Well, fuck you. You people have already said a lot of shit that would be literally impossible. Super cheap electricity? Super fast hardware that can do bruteforcing like it ain't nobody's business?

You might aswell ask

>Well, what if computers were magic?
>>
>>7766439
Bruteforcing EVERYTHING won't ever be plausible, because there's always programs right at the edge of computer capabilities. I mean, this is why they teach about complexity and efficient algorithms in low level CS courses, even though with modern computers it doesn't really matter when you're just sorting an array of size 5 which is really all you do in those courses. Because that's just a demonstration, the things computers are actually used for deal with much larger quantities of data, where performance actually becomes a consideration. Any program built with bruteforcing will be inferior to one made properly with efficient algorithms - it will either run slower, or be less capable in order to be made to run as fast. The ONLY time bruteforcing is efficient when the program is very simple compared to what the computer is designed for. If you're actually using the full capabilities of a given computer, efficiency can make a big difference.
>>
>>7766450
>what is a typo
>>
>>7767467
>Care to elaborate what type of problems need to be solved by clever methods rather than bruteforce?
All of them. You seem to misunderstand just how terrible bruteforcing is.
>>
>>7767562
This is what programmers actually believe.
>>
Uber fast computers would just scale everything up so that we can solve problems that are currently unfeasible. But those new problems would be just at the boundary of being too compute-intensive, so we would still have to be smart about it.

Also, Moore's law won't continue forever and QM computers solve different problems than silicon computers.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.