[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I never went to college but I always liked math, I even did a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1446507315719.png (583KB, 680x689px) Image search: [Google]
1446507315719.png
583KB, 680x689px
I never went to college but I always liked math, I even did a calculus book by myself over 10 years ago but now I want to learn more and also became interested in programming, is project Euler a good way to learn both of them a the same time?
TL;DR: Should I use project Euler to learn math and programming by myself?
>>
Yeah why not? Combine it with other sources of learning, like khan academy and books.
>>
>>7765411
Any recommendations in what programming language/books should I pick?
>>
>>7765364
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2012/4/27/21151/3984
>>
>>7765485
>http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2012/4/27/21151/3984
wut
>>
>>7765491
"WITHOUT USING A CALCULATOR
How many chocolate chips must one mix into the dough used to bake one hundred thousand chocolate chip cookies so that ninety-eight percent of the cookies contain at least two chips?

You may use the Handbook of Mathematical Functions as reference material"

One might think it a waste of a human lifetime to dwell on routine computations, when digital computers are so much more effective at accomplishing the same tasks.

But then again, the humans of the future might not want to be restricted to only performing tasks in which they can compete effectively with machines.
>>
OP here, is it to late to go to college and major in math and minor in physics? I want to research but I'm about to turn 31
>>
>>7765525
yes, its far too late

you would have more luck in a field like stats or a medical field but even then you will be passed over by the younger students who dont have trouble learning new things

you will be pushing close to 40 by the time you get your phd, if you even make it that far
>>
>>7765498
>But then again, the humans of the future might not want to be restricted to only performing tasks in which they can compete effectively with machines.

It's not like they have a choice in the matter.
>>
Is haskell a good idea to begin programming?
>>
>>7765364
> Should I use project Euler to learn math and programming by myself?

No.

Project Euler is for people who already know math and programming. If you want to use it to learn you will either be stuck for days in really trivial shit that you could have done in a minute by just having any minuscule insight or you will try googling some 'hints' but then by doing so you remove all of the challenge of figuring out the answer and thus you don't learn anything.

TL;DR: Buy a fucking book.
>>
>>7766506

How is googling hints any different from reading a book?
>>
>>7766519
>Reading a book
Everything is general and you won't ever know where exactly you could apply this knowledge. Thus, when you read the problem and you realize on your own that this is how it should be done then you have done the kind of problem solving euler project was meant to inspire

>Google the hint to solve the problem
Then you didn't figure out shit. You didn't have to think about it, you just googled it. Now all is left is to code it but coding is trivial, anyone can do it. Euler project is not a programming challenge.

>Going to a job interview
>Employer asks something

Well, as I remember from I read my Partial Integral Complex Analysis and Abstract Differentiation 2000 page book, the answer is clearly.

>You get instantly hired

Oh, I don't know but I have an idea. Let me google that for you, will take a second.

>You get instantly thrown outside.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.