[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kerr Black Holes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Last month, i was watching an anime series about time travel (Steins Gate), and then i learned the term 'Kerr black hole'. upon further research, i read that these are theoretical singularities without an event horizon. i don't matter if these are suitable for time travel, but this 'naked singularities' can be real? the relativitity allow these to exist? i want to hear your oppinions about this matter.
>>
>>7764541
>inspired by chinese girl cartoons to look up something
kill yourself
>>
>>7764541
No they don't exist, no relativity does not allow them to exist.

Sounds like a good meme though.
>>
>>7764550
well... it's obvious that you're a person that don't have any serious idea to comment. find psicological help :v
>>
>>7764552
can you explain me about that plz?
>>
File: 1443811155924.png (444KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
1443811155924.png
444KB, 600x449px
They don't exist.

Also, when does Steins Gate mention a Kerr Black Hole, or any black hole?
>>
>>7764552
Actually, you CAN strip the event horizon off a singularity, just like you can strip the reaction field off from a point-particle like an electron, it's just something the universe does to protect itself from the worst effects of both.
>>
>>7764550
Hello reddit.
>>
File: 12-1321.png (304KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
12-1321.png
304KB, 800x450px
>>7764985
They were there as a hand-wavy explanation for how the 'phone microwave' was supposed to work. For all I know it was emphasized more in the VN but it's in the show too, at least the subbed version I saw.
>>
I never finished reading steins;gate because I took a break from it while in uni. By the time I got back to it i realized how assbackwards the science fiction was and couldn't get myself to take it seriously anymore. Which is a real shame because I really enjoyed it.
>>
These calculations are doctorate-level, and very specific to Relativity specializations whose interest is black holes, so I don't know the math and neither do any of my university's professors.

But we did attend a talk by one who worked on cosmic censorship. Instead of Kerr black holes, they looked at Reissner-Nordstrom black holes (highly-charged black holes instead of spinning ones) but they argue that their work can also apply to Kerr black holes.

The problem with overcharged Reissner-Nordstrom black holes (which is what we need for a naked singularity) is that theoretically, they can't form all at once; the EM interaction just won't let you cram that much mass into a small enough space. But someone thought, "what if we had a black hole whose charge-mass ratio was right below critical, then we throw in a particle with more charge than mass to sort of tip it over?" It seemed like this was the way to create a naked singularity.

The talk's speaker tried to look at this case and found that the particle's electromagnetic self-force would actually prevent it from falling into the near-critical Reissner-Nordstrom black hole; the EM repulsion turns out to be just strong enough to push the particle out.

So yeah, overcharged Reissner-Nordstrom black holes are still safe from being naked singularities, as far as we know.

The speaker's paper (his name is Ian Vega): http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.3889

The paper's abstract says a similar argument applies for overspinning Kerr black holes, but I don't remember how he explained it. Probably something like a Kerr black hole with an angular-momentum-to-mass ratio just below critical, then throwing in a spinning particle to tip it over to critical.
>>
>>7765388
same anon

Also wait, Kerr black holes DO exist. At least, there's nothing stopping them from existing. What CANNOT exist are overspinning Kerr black holes, which are cases of a naked singularity.
>>
>>7765399
Thanks for your info. how do you know about all this matter?
>>
>>7765722
I'm a physics undergrad (all set to graduate this sem, hopefully). I was there during Dr. Ian Vega's talk; I think he's an alumni of our university or something.
>>
>>7765897
wow great, congratulations! well... we can talk in another time? you're a physic, so we could understand to each other, about subjects related to physical phenomena :)
>>
>>7766075
sure, but how exactly? I'm not about to give away any personal details on 4chan.
>>
>>7766075
kek
>>
>>7765004
Isn't the only theorized way to do that by spinning it really fucking fast though? At a speed that is likely impossible?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.