[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a math major with a CS minor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

is this enough to land me a data science/analyst gig when I graduate?
>>
Did you do lots of optimization, linear algebra, and statistics?
>>
>>7764363
>wasting time with a CS minor
>>
>>7764363
I have a CS major and stats minor. I've been actively been looking for data science and data analyst jobs. Most of them are only for Masters degrees in Data Science. So I'd suggest that you get a masters or cross your fingers. I don't think that math alone would help you any. Also learn R, and SAS
>>
File: truth.png (135KB, 1200x1819px) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
135KB, 1200x1819px
>>7764363
According to objective statistical data, yes.

Enjoy your 100k starting my friend. Mathematics master race!
>>
>>7764601
Lel
>>
>>7764363
None of that shit matters, your major literally doesn't mean shit for that kind of job.

The only question that matters is:

Have you gotten gud yet?
>>
>>7764657
Shit that is uplifting. Maybe it is only in my area where they want someone with a Masters. I also wonder if this data is for fresh graduates or for people already in the field.
>>
>>7764688
The study says that the data comes from people with 5 - 8 years experience.

I'm sure that you can still try to apply after graduation but expect a lower salary than the one shown and if it doesn't work then do the related jobs like statistician that are more likely to take in recent grads and then apply again.
>>
>>7764696
Yeah and while this is just anecdotal evidence I have noticed that most as in > 85% of the Data Science jobs I've looked at recently have required at least a masters degree in Data Science. I feel like it is becoming the standard as the field grows.
>>
>>7764657
>data science
>bachelors
yeah no

most have a masters/phd in a quantitative field
>>
It depends on who you know, OP
>>
>>7764363
Honestly I wouldn't hold my breath. You need to know how to manipulate data and interpret it. Which is something that you wouldn't learn from a math major. If you are truly passionate go to Graduate school
>>
>>7764724
>most

Yeah, that is why the figure is 8%

Also,
>denying reality
>>
>>7764573
Yes. I'm using almost all of my upper div electives on stats and linear.
>>
>>7764363
Most data science jobs that I have looked into generally want either a Masters or PhD in any STEM field, so you might want to stay an extra 2 years at least.
>>
>>7765063
how competitive is a masters in stats?
my gap isn't very good (3.2-3.3) i can maybe raise it to 3.5 or 3.6. Also, I have no research exp
>>
>>7764680

A math major should be able to learn CS half asleep
>>
>>7764363
If and only if you land an internship or research position during undergrad. Data Science is white-hot right now and competition is fierce. A shitty first job will doom your entire career.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.