[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me if these odds are worth playing? I have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: cards.jpg (71KB, 634x457px) Image search: [Google]
cards.jpg
71KB, 634x457px
Can someone tell me if these odds are worth playing? I have a friend who says, theoretically, I can always do this with him.

Pay him 25 cents to play.

Then I get to roll 3 dice.

If I get a 3, he gives me $10. There is a 1/216 or .5% chance of getting this.

If I get a 7, I get my quarter back. There is a 15/216 or 7% chance of getting this.

I get a 13, I get $2. There is a 9.7% chance of getting this.

I get an 18, I get $5. There is 1/216 or a .5% chance of getting this.

Wouldn't the dealer end up losing with these odds? Especially with the 13, at 9.7 paying $2. Also, 25 cents for a .5% chance to win $10 doesn't seem like good house odds to me, but I don't know about this stuff. I suspect he doesn't either.
>>
I'm a girl btw ;)
>>
File: 1449808276915.jpg (28KB, 480x375px) Image search: [Google]
1449808276915.jpg
28KB, 480x375px
>>7762678
>>
Simple probability,
[math] expected winnings ($) = \Sigma (probabilities \times winnings) - $0.25[/math]
So your expected winnings is
[math] $10 \times \frac {1}{216} + $0.25 \times \frac {15}{216} + $2 \times \frac {21}{216} + $5 \times \frac{1}{216} - $0.25 [/math]
or $0.03125.

So technically you win 3 cents per round.
>>
>>7762645
Lets say you play 200 games.

You win at 1 of the 10$

You win 14 of the quarter back so you get 3.5$

You win 20 of the 2$ so you get 40$

You win one of the 5$ so 5$

That totals 58.5$

You wasted 50$ so you win 8.50$

But the big difference here are the 5$ and 10$ rolls.

I chose 200 because below that, there is not even a 1% of winning the 5$ or 10$ so you could not even win it once (statistically). And if you don't roll them, specially the 10, you will lose money.

In other words, you only play when you are allowed to roll the dices >200 times.
>>
>>7762706
>>7762701

I see. So my friend is a dumbass.
>>
>>7762723
Technically yes, but this only works out in the long run, so in a short amount of trials you would come up negative
>>
>>7762701
I know I sound stupid for asking this, but I have a problem with the probability of something happening and am generally wondering what is the best things to learn so I can figure it out myself. Thanks.
>>
>>7762816
Khan Academy is always good, or you can get some of the /sci/ approved text books if videos aren't your thing
>>
>>7762822
Well I mean should I learn statistics? Is there a term for it or simply called probability math?
>>
>>7762827
you don't have to learn statistics, but its a good thing to know, and it ties in nicely to probability. I have no clue if theres an official term, I've only heard it referred to as probability.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.