[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>learning maths from scratch >just learned how to solve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 13

File: 1449101031453.jpg (27KB, 414x508px) Image search: [Google]
1449101031453.jpg
27KB, 414x508px
>learning maths from scratch
>just learned how to solve simultaneous linear equations through substitution and elimination
>so far it's all much easier than I anticipated

When do things get challenging?
>>
>>7761826
How's highschool, bud?
>>
>>7761830

I'm not in high school. Not everyone goes through a cookie cutter life. In a few short years I'll know more maths than you, so fuck you, cunt.
>>
>>7761831
Attitude of a child. Underage confirmed
>>
>>7761826
That's highschool freshman level math tbqh fampai

Don't worry you'll get there :^)
>>
File: 1368290449457.gif (2MB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
1368290449457.gif
2MB, 300x196px
>>7761831
You should probably just end it while you still have a choice.
>>
File: grothendieck1951.gif (276KB, 600x821px) Image search: [Google]
grothendieck1951.gif
276KB, 600x821px
If you know how to solve linear equations, it's time to go straight to étalé cohomology.
>>
File: ce3.gif (1MB, 680x289px) Image search: [Google]
ce3.gif
1MB, 680x289px
>>7761826
>solving systems of linear equations
>not using a matrix

pleb/10 tbqh family
>>
>>7761826
>When do things get challenging?
When you get to Real Analysis and Functional Analysis.
>>
>>7761834

I'm well aware of that. I'm looking forward to the college level stuff.
>>
>>7761843

What do normal people usually struggle with at high school/early college level?
>>
Math can get so challenging that only few geniuses in the world can understand them at some point.
>>
>>7761849
The average person? General algebra and introductory level calculus. I'm serious.
>>
>>7761858

How much more difficult will things get from where I am now to calculus (on a scale of 1 to 10)?
>>
>>7761878
>>
File: 1450729905465s.jpg (8KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1450729905465s.jpg
8KB, 250x238px
>>7761889
>>
>>7761878
If you're giving yourself enough time to fully understand the concepts and practice them, I'd say about 5.
>>
>>7761849
Integration by parts will be a right pain in the ass, but not really "hard".
>>
>>7761878
Its a fucking waste of time to learn mathematics without going to university. If not doing it for purpose (financial mathematics), you should either stop or attend some courses with a proffesional. Wake up its not 18. century.
>>
>>7761826
desu senpai i had trouble with quadratics, but after that it's been smooth sailing.
>>
>>7761906
Integration by parts was the easiest part of calc 2. Where most people fall apart is proving the convergence of series
>>
>>7761938
No integration by parts is a right fucking pain in the ass, the convergence of series is the easier part.
>>
>>7761908

I'm doing a course. Once I'm done with this one, I'll do one more (which will cover calc), and then I'll have enough credits to apply for university.
>>
>>7761937

I'll be starting that soon. Any heads up?
>>
>>7761826
When you get to geometric algebra and algebraic geometry
>>
>>7761951
Know how to "complete the square". You'll want to memorize the Quadratic Formula, but know that the QF is just the end result of completing the square of the general equation: ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
>>
hey senpai i got a good source if u want to learn calculus 1-3 + some extras
reply if ur interested ill be lurkin
>>
Tbh algebra is about the easiest thing ever.
Calculus is pointlessly hard bullshit.
Probability is stupid and ambiguous. Like the professor is gonna ask stupid normie questions like about football or the lottery, and assume im a normal functioning human who knows anything about those things.
>>
>>7761977

I'll be learning through course material, but having another source for reference won't hurt.
>>
>>7761980
i wonder why a professor would ever want ask generic questions about the most popular sport in the us instead of your waifu or favorite anime, retard
>>
>>7761831
Im all for you wanting to learn and shit but you cant just say that. For all you know hes a PhD and youve got a long fucking way to go
>>
>>7761951
Basically, you want to solve the equation [math]x^2 + px + q = 0[/math] given the fact that you can very easily solve the equation [math]x^2 = a[/math] for any a.
The idea is thus to make a clever substitution to get rid of the px term and get an equation of the second type.
Now, if you note that [math] x^2 + px = \left(x+\frac{p}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{p^2}{4}[/math], you see that if you set [math]z = x + \frac{p}{2}[/math], the equation becomes [math]z^2 = \frac{p^2-4q}{4}[/math] which is now easy to solve.
>>
File: 1451202362743.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1451202362743.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>>7761831
>In a few short years I'll know more maths than you, so fuck you, cunt.
bragging about an education you haven't even completed
>>
>>7761938
Fuck series lmao. That shit sucked
>>
>tfw used to laugh at highschool babbies
>now need to tutor them for food because math was a meme degree with no jobs
>>
>>7761940

How? It's one of the most straightforward/algorithmic parts of the course.
>>
>>7761831
>When does it get hard
You haven't even started yet. Math STARTS after you finish calculus (all of it, including the PDE stuff and ideally covering through differential forms). Then you have to learn to walk, baby steps, and build from there.

>>7761845
> I'm looking forward to the college level stuff.

As a serious suggestion, go buy

Munkres - Topology
Rudin - Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Artin - Algebra

These 3 books are good introductions to the foundations for undergraduate mathematics. If you read all 3 of these, you'll have a better idea of what mathematics entails and you can start reading more advanced books from there. I recommend each of those as a decent starting place.
>>
>>7761980
Gee, why would anyone ask probability questions about games that keep rigorous/detailed stats or games of chance?
>>
>>7761826
Chinese rice niggers already knew how to do this more than 1700 years ago.

Things only get challenging once you have hit current research so you have more than 1700 YEARS to catch up first.
>>
>>7763377

How did Chinese rice niggers do it when Descartes invented the Cartesian coordinate field in the 17th century?
>>
>>7763377

It's hardly 1700 years. Mathematics was stagnant for the majority of that time.
>>
>>7763372
>Munkres - Topology
>Rudin - Principles of Mathematical Analysis
>Artin - Algebra

Is it possible to even begin those books without knowing anything about calculus or trigonometry?
>>
>>7763384
Well...technically yes.
Technically yeah, they don't assume prior knowledge. That's why I listed them as books to start learning about actual mathematics with.

You should know the basics of trigonometry though, but to be honest you can learn this in like 2 weeks without pushing yourself too hard. Trigonometry is very simple.
As for calculus, calculus is like a part of analysis. It's like the introduction to analysis, so it's all covered in that Rudin book.

Yes, you can read and understand those books without calculus or trigonometry. They will just seem very complex, but that's not because of a lack of knowledge but rather a lack of familiarity with proofs and actual mathematics in general. But if you go slow, and really think about each chapter and try to understand why it works, you should be able to start with those books.

Each one is an excellent introduction to its respective field in mathematics, at the level that most undergraduate math majors would take just starting college.
>>
File: Mei9x9.jpg (388KB, 829x572px) Image search: [Google]
Mei9x9.jpg
388KB, 829x572px
>>7763379
Matrices
They used the same Gaussian elimination that we know today just with a different notation.
>>
>>7763384
Lol if you can make your way through just the first half of that topology book and most Rudin, you'll be ready to tutor people in calc. and trig. without even realizing it.
>>
>>7762067
>>7761831

Sup anons, first poster here. The only reason that roast was initiated is because OP had the attitude of a cocky teenager.

>learning maths from scratch
Yeah, sure you are. So you were never taught about numbers? You just learned about those yourself? Please.
>just learned how to solve simultaneous linear equations through substitution and elimination
Yeah that's fine, until the next stupid statement
>so far it's all much easier than I anticipated
Well no shit genius, that's pleb tier stuff
Stupid question, seeing as everyone is different in one way or another; literally impossible to answer.
The point was, OP, you might want to tone down the arrogance. You won't get very far if you already presume something will be easy before trying it.
And if you must know, I'm a Mathematics student in England, first year. So I'm far from a genius at this point. I just fancied a casual josh.
>>
>>7763395
I learned about this is in a lecture the other day. Nice, dude
>>
>>7763698

There's no arrogance in the OP. I think you're just delusional.
>>
>>7763711
Well that's your opinion, so fair enough.
>>
>>7763715
>Stupid question, seeing as everyone is different in one way or another; literally impossible to answer.

Not it's not. You can pin point the general areas most people struggle with. Turn off your autism.
>>
>>7763723
>general
>most

You just proved my point. You can't answer his question explicitly. I think you should turn yours off desu senpai
>>
>>7763731
>desu senpai

Why must you cuck me 4chan
>>
>>7763731

No, however, you can give an indication and some prior knowledge of areas people tend to struggle with. I know it's just your autism, but not everything has to be exact.
>>
>>7761840
This.
>>
Hey guys I just learned how to add together 3 digit numbers (protip: you carry the 1). When does this math shit get hard?
>>
Hey guys I just learned to prove the ABC conjecture with Inter-Universal Teichmuller Theory. When does this math shit get hard?
>>
>>7763746

>I've never been punched in the face, the post.
>>
>>7761980
>the professor is gonna ask
I think you mean high school teacher. A course (university level) in linear algebra won't be the easiest thing ever and is alot harder then calculus (which is a high school subject). Linear algebra should be on the same level than real analysis. Probability and statistics shouldn't be ambigous, that just means you have a shitty teacher. In order to understand probability and statistics you need to have knowledge in analysis once you get to probability density functions/expectation values/etc.
>>
>learn maths from scratch

If you don't have some 90+ average from some top school it doesn't mean shit and your time was better spent jerking off.

That's reality.

Fuck a challenge. It all goes in one ear and out the other without a real application.
>>
>>7763754
lol what?
>>
>>7763757

If you had been punched in the face a few times, you wouldn't be such an asshole. Every man needs to be punched in the face at least once, it's good for your character.
>>
>>7763761
Sorry for my rudeness, friend. Next time I will be more careful. I wish you well in all your endeavors. Farewell!
>>
>>7763372
Shut the fuck up with your "rudin's a great introductory self study book" meme, you're hurting people who are trying to go into math. Seriously fuck off.

Terence Tao's Analysis I is amazing for someone just starting to get into real math. It starts with the construction of numbers and walking you through proofs, and then starts analysis guiding you well through it.

Rudin's a fast paced mouthful that is amazing for reference and great for lectures on it, but NOT a self study book.
>>
>>7763741
Lol, I wish I was autistic it would explain a lot. No need to get up in arms anon. But fine, I'll concede that it can be answered vaguely; but what's the point in a vague answer in a context like this?
>>
>>7761940
If you think integration by parts is a pain in the ass then no one ever taught you tabular I guess.

>tfw you can do a 6 step integration by parts problem in under 5 minutes
>>
>>7763770
How?

High school fag here. Integration is the toughest part of HS calculus IMO. I just can't reduced a function to a standard form.
>>
Is there an online verion of Anlysis I?
>>
>>7763779
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqEyWLGvvdw&list=PL0E754696F72137EC
>>
>>7761826
>substitution
only babbys solve systems of linear equations with substitution
elimination is the only mature way to solve them
>>
>>7763793
Thank you, actually I meant the book by Terence Tao.
>>
I actually enjoy solving simple equations. Does this mean I'm autistic?
>>
File: 1440959257507.jpg (42KB, 640x404px) Image search: [Google]
1440959257507.jpg
42KB, 640x404px
>>7761826

m8....

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/106560/philosophy-behind-mochizukis-work-on-the-abc-conjecture

https://www.math.wisc.edu/~boston/869.pdf

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0307217.pdf

Are these high enough for your standards?
>>
>>7763802
You have to be delusional to not know how useful substitution is in some cases
>>
>>7761826
>hey guys i'm wearing a diaper so i can piss and shit wherever i want
>when does going potty get difficult
>>
>>7764301
for any linear system, it's really not
>>
>>7763766
It's not a meme. Rudin is exactly the description you just gave for Terrence Tao's book. It does exactly that.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean shit. It's a great book to get into mathematical analysis. He starts with the construction of the real numbers and goes from there...like many do. It's also concise, not overwhelming, and an excellent guide.

I'm being serious. As I said before, you have to read it carefully, slowly, and be very focused, but once you get it, it's an excellent book to start learning about mathematical analysis with.
>>
>>7761826
I have down syndrome and i am further in math than this
>>
>>7763766
Reference style books are the best for self teaching because organization is what's most important.
>>
>>7765470

Congratulations, in a years time you won't be. Enjoy feeling superior while you can.
>>
>>7765533
>Bourbaki is the best book for learning anything ever
>>
OP, you are smarter than the average white trash person so you can be happy about that.
I was doing homework and jokingly said to my girlfriend how i'm too lazy to do this assignment. She asked what it's about and I said it's about deriving a function. I asked her if she can do that, and she said "ah yes, i don't remember what a function is but i know i've done that before"
>>
>>7761849
I don't want to be mean, but what you are doing is seriously high school level. calculus is gonna be a lot harder than that, but then again, you are doing trivial shit. Try calculus and see how it treats you. Calculus however, is still quite mechanical (requires little mathematic understanding, just a lot of rewriting things to simpler and simpler shit). Where stuff really gets interesting is probably real analysis, model theory, topology, stuff like that. Group theory is also really nice, but requires some linear algebra because it's used in most books for examples.

If you want to do some interesting shit, try pic related, one of my favorites from college so far.
>>
>>7765568

>Thinks a persons educational achievement reflects intelligence 100% of the time.
>>
>>7765569

I'm well aware it's high school level shit. Can I even start calculus at the level I'm at? I've still got trig and quadratics to do, which my course will cover soon.

The course I'll be taking after my current one will cover calculus. What I'll do is study calculus in my own time during the summer after I finish my current course. That way I can be ahead by the time the next course starts.
>>
>>7765570
>the average white trash person
>100%
>>
>>7765576

>thinks he can deduce skin color over an anonymous Mexican cartoon board
>>
>>7765569
Good book, bad idea. Start with set theory and linear algebra, practice proving theorems and only then move on to Armstrong.
>>
File: 20160103_002301.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160103_002301.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Never. Even the shitposting here is easy to dodge.
>>
File: star-wars-force-awakens.jpg (23KB, 635x409px) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-force-awakens.jpg
23KB, 635x409px
>>7765688

>mfw I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
When you get to finite dimensional vector spaces spanning over the set of non-linear differential equations, also known as Barnett's topology.
>>
File: 1360249036264.jpg (41KB, 667x441px) Image search: [Google]
1360249036264.jpg
41KB, 667x441px
>>7765688
>that keyboard
Dude
>>
>>7761826
quit now bro, maths fucking sucks
>>
>>7764335
sometimes it's easier and faster when you're down to the last two

As was stated earlier though, not putting it into a matrix and getting RREF is pure pleb.
>>
>>7765569
Downloaded, will look at it after dogschool
>>
>>7761858
Only because they have bad teachers / aren't trying.
The typical normal person should be able to do calculus and linear algebra.
You don't have to understand the pure math to be able to apply it.
>>
>>7761826
keep at it op
>>
File: 1422852557664.jpg (13KB, 255x227px) Image search: [Google]
1422852557664.jpg
13KB, 255x227px
>>7761826
kek

But all jokes aside, that depends on you.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.