[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are so many people obsessed with colonizing Mars? Even if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: Mars.jpg (4MB, 4000x2217px) Image search: [Google]
Mars.jpg
4MB, 4000x2217px
Why are so many people obsessed with colonizing Mars?

Even if we can melt it's ice and make it warmer it's going to be losing atmosphere due to weak magnetosphere. And it's gravity is unhealthy for humans.
>>
>>7761803

> le random mars thread
> science

This is on the level of "what is the evolutionary advantage of [insert retarded shit here]"
>>
>>7761803
Shoot some rocks at it. Boom more gravity
>>
>>7761803
The low gravity on Mars makes it incapable of sustaining long term settlements of humans.
>>
>>7761803
>it's gravity is unhealthy for humans.
>it's gravity
>it's
>>
>>7761803
You dumb faggots realize we have pressurized suits that negate the weaker gravity? Do you seriously think NASA and SpaceX are just doing this shit without putting any thought into it? god dammit i hate people like you.
>>
It's just a dumb meme thing, like going to the moon

When in reality we need to be building space infrastructure in low earth orbit
>>
>>7762962

>pressurized suits negate gravity

I fucking hate you
>>
>>7762982
maybe theres greater pressure at the top?
>>
>>7762982
Wouldn't stitching a quantity of lead sheets (or some other heavy material) into your clothing reduce the negatives of reduced gravity?
>>
>>7762996

Wouldn't it just be easier to build an orbital space habitat with earths gravity in orbit?

Wouldn't this be possible now, with existing technology and pave the way towards further space exploration?
>>
>>7761803
>And it's gravity is unhealthy for humans.
We don't actually know this. Microgravity has negative health effects, but we don't have any experience with low gravity environments.
>>
>>7762973
asteroid mining ftw
>>
>>7763001
Too expensive bruv
>only if all nations could come together in the name of science.
>>
>>7763187

>Implying it's cheaper to colonise Mars.
>>
WE can fully mitigate the negative bone density effects of microgravity with the right exercise. It would be much easier to deal with lower gravity. It might even have some positive health effects.
>>
>>7763194

Not over the longer term. After several generations spent on Mars "Martians" would become a legit sub-branch of the human evolutionary tree.

Unable to return to Earth and survive in the harsh gravity there, they would develop their own religion and wage war with those on Earth.
>>
>>7762973
>Low earth orbit
>low
C3 (or close to it in a highly-elliptical orbit) makes more sense IMO.
>>
>>7763201

What about the lagrange points? The station could double as a space observatory of the highest order as well as providing a unique niche space manufacturing industry, utilising the low gravity environment and near vacuum of space.

Fuck Mars...
>>
Escaping atmosphere isn't that much of a problem. The atmosphere is mostly CO2 which means plenty of oxygen to extract. Actually, finding sufficient amounts of neutral gas (nitrogen) becomes a bit of a problem.

Terraformation of Mars is impractical due to the low gravity, but sustainable, expandable habitats should be doable. Something to support population of several thousand people indefinitely.

Gravity isn't a problem - return to Earth after prolonged stay is. The organism adapts to the decreased gravity by losing unnecessary muscle and bone mass, and it's capable of functioning like that just fine with no time limit. It's the recovery to 1g that becomes the problem.

Power, oxygen, minerals, metals, oxygen and carbon dioxide - that's all available there. The rest can be grown or manufactured once the base is bootstraped.

Now, why? Because we (probably) can, isn't good enough?
>>
>>7763198

LOL

SAD, BUT TRUE.
>>
>>7763001
>Wouldn't it just be easier to build an orbital space habitat with earths gravity in orbit?
N-no.
I mean it would be possible but you would have to constantly run re-supply missions. I'm assuming a Mars base would achieve a certain level of self-sufficiency.
>>
>>7763374

You're thinking on too small a scale. This would be something pretty big and largely self sufficient. A stepping stone from which to begin real utilization of space without constantly having to pander to Earths atmosphere and escape so much of its gravity.
>>
>>7763394
Well I mean again, you could, but if you had a mars base you could utilize local materials for building expansion and whatnot, possibly even extracting some water for use by the settlers.
>>
>>7763413
Colonizing the moons around Mars could be a solution. It could be easier to navigate to due to lower gravity and it's a short trip to the surface of Mars.
>>
>>7763420
Ah they're tiny.. Like really tiny..
>>
>>7762949
you mean
>tit's

4chan always wants more tit's amirite?
>>
>>7762973
>building space infrastructure in low earth orbit
'cos that movie was awesome
>>
>>7763198
The Expanse: the post?

btw i r8ed 8/10
>>
>>7761803
>>7761803
Consider all humanity has done on earth in the last 3000 years.

Mars' atmosphere would take 1000 times longer that to start boiling off.

You can get a lot of shit done in that time. I doubt human civilization would even last that long.

Let's not forgot that earth itself has an expiration date too.
>>
>>7763521
Nice reference but I thought I was being original. Guess it's hard to do nowdays.

Honestly I just feel really bad for those future mutants. Stuck on a shithole planet and not ever able to go where all the fun is at.
>>
Would I make mad gainz lifting on Mars? That's all I care about.
>>
>>7761803
You bore a huge cylinder through the polar axis of the planet and construct a giant electronic artificial dynamo to give the planet a magnetosphere. You power it with Thorium reactors supplied by local mines.
>>
File: 1451889846563.jpg (229KB, 627x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451889846563.jpg
229KB, 627x720px
>>7762962
>You dumb faggots realize we have pressurized suits that negate the weaker gravity?
>>
every single fucking thing that would help us is too fucking expensive. i suggest we just fucking freeze the economy for the duration of a large scale space project, y'know? just forget fucking money, hire a shitload of engineers and physicists, put them in one place, hand out foodstamps to them fuckers and bribe the farmers who make the food to make it for free with free tickets onboard whatever thing we're building
>>
>>7763695
that might work
>>
>>7763816
Nah, it would require so much material and energy it's just ridiculous.
Like all terraforming.
>>
>>7762996
you'd be better off using osmium, its twice as dense as lead, but 3 time fucking rarer than gold
>>
>>7763819
if we assume we have enough material, how wide do you think the cylinder would have to be?
>>
>>7763808
Just set up a Kickstarter
>>
>>7763819
>>7763829
I haven't touched electrodynamics since college, but I don't think you'd actually have to build a literal metal rod through the whole planet. I think if you simply had a pole and antipole linked with just enough material to hold the current and you'd have a magnetic field. You'd only need to construct giant linked surface complexes at the north and south poles. They might even be able to be linked on the surface rather than through it.

The power involved IS another matter. I think it's a relatively simple calculation to determine the watts necessary for the required field, and then to see how many power plants you'd actually need.
>>
drop a large object on mars to increase its mass

gravity problem solved
>>
>>7761803
There is no way that babby could form properly with 1/3 gravity.
>>
>>7763374
A self-sustaining "citizen ISS" could definitely work in the future -- we recently grew vegetables on the ISS. Kale, I believe. Astronauts ate it, and there's all kinds of botanical science happening up there.

Biggest problemo for an orbital space habitat would be bone density, muscle loss, bodily fluids, pressure on the eyes, mental stress, etc..
>>
>>7763194
We can BARELY mitigate the negative effects of microgravity with exercise. Exercise takes a good chunk of an astronaut's time on the ISS, and they still tend to come back to Earth rather unwieldy.
>>
will people living on mars turn into mr skeltals?
>>
>>7764844
Over generations BEEEEEEER
>>
>>7764782
Pal do you even know how hard it would be to have a commercial scale farm in a zero gravity environment?
>>
Why not just colonise Venus instead?

Its about the same size as Earth.

Dump shit loads of microorganisms into its atmosphere and wait a few million years for them to gobble up all that shit.

Hey Presto! A new Earth!

Just take a sun shade when u go outside.
>>
>>7764899

> farm in a zero gravity environment?

Stanford Torus.

Probably would be much cheaper and easier to just have a structure on the end of a wire spinning around a captured space rock to start with.
>>
>>7764966
>Stanford Torus.
That's preddy cool. Now if only we had the funding to put 10 million tons of space station into mars orbit.
>>
>>7763695
>meme post
>>7763816
>hurr durr that might work

I hate this board.
>>
>>7764905
>Dump shit loads of microorganisms into its atmosphere and wait a few million years for them to gobble up all that shit.
You're a moron.
Is everyone in this fucking thread retarded? Or is it just me?
>>
>>7765160
He's joking, anon. It was pretty obvious too.
>>
>>7765164
You're a dumbass
>>
>>7765055

Well ideally you'd start off on a much smaller scale and develop a space manufacturing industry to construct it out of materials harvested from space.

Also, while I hate to mention it, a space elevator on the moon or the surface of Mars would be feasible, unlike building one from the surface of Earth. But honestly the moon is a better bet than Mars for this I imagine.
A space elevator could move pieces into orbit which had been mined and manufactured on the surface of the body.
>>
>>7761803
It's a sci-fi staple, and it makes for an interesting. Deal with it autist.
>>
>>7765247
Disregard that I just realized I was on /sci/ not /tg/.
>>
>>7764905
You know Venus isn't totally ridiculous, its gravity being similar to ours makes it plausible, we would just have to build structures which orbit the planet or sit off the surface rather than ones that sit on the surface.
>>
>>7761803
cause itd be fuckin rad
>>
>>7761883
Might work if we sent the asteroid belt crashing into it.

But what if we destabilize the solar system??
>>
>>7765160
To be fair the havoc program is a rather interesting idea.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.