[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If one were to slice a tiny bit of my frontal lobe off and replaced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ifhiggswerezero2.png (91KB, 955x722px) Image search: [Google]
ifhiggswerezero2.png
91KB, 955x722px
If one were to slice a tiny bit of my frontal lobe off and replaced the bit with a functionally identical piece of another brain, would I think the same? Would I be the same person? Would I still be conscious? If I would think differently, would I be able to remember the kinds of thoughts I had before the procedure?

Assuming that my personality/memories/thinking processes are not radically altered (that is, assuming that I'm the same conscious being as I was before, just a bit different,) If my brain were to progressively be replaced until it's a wholly different brain, would I still be conscious, just completely different?

If that previous question was a bit vague, here's a way of rephrasing it: Suppose my eyes were active through the entire process and I could see. Would I still be the same person seeing before I got a new brain as after I got a new brain?

Assuming that I'm not the same person as before, why do I have this perception of continuity throughout my life? Surely this iteration of my brain is different from what it was ten years ago. Why is it that I don't experience an interruption of my consciousness?

pic unrelated
>>
>>7761073
>>>/his/ is that way
>>
>>7761080
I'm not looking for a philosophical answer, I'd like one backed up with facts. Are these problems unsolved?
>>
>>7761085
It has been solved. We have plenty of data from all of the human brain transplants we have performed. I'm just withholding the information out of spite. /s
>>
>>7761088
Are there no speculative answers grounded in neuroscience?
>>
>>7761090
>speculative
>facts

I can speculate you some bullshit right now if you'd like, since I study neuroscience and mental health at a school of medicine
>>
>>7761073
>Why is it that I don't experience an interruption of my consciousness?

You do, when you go to sleep.

If you replaced your brain by slightly different neurons gradually, you'd feel the "continuity". If you replaced your brain by different neurons all at once, you'd still feel the "continuity" (with a few gaps in your memory perhaps).

Your self, continuity of consciousness, memory of past events, are all illusions. They're just tricks of survival, but they have no logical consistency.
>>
>>7761088
>human brain transplants
>>
>>7761096
What are you implying m8?

Unless you are pointing out that a brain transplant implies a full organ transplant, rather than a group of neurons or singular neuron. In which case, you should understand I was merely making a joke.

However, if you think I believe there have been a plurality of successful brain transplants, you must have missed the "/s" at the end of my post indicating sarcasm.
>>
>>7761097
You're a shitposter. I must assume you're rather gullible.
>>
>>7761267
> I'm the shitposter

Top kek m8

You must be an extraordinary retard
Fragile X syndrome retards are of genius level intellect relative to you
>>
>>7761073
you cant just connect new person neurons with yours, that is impossible for now...and even if you succeed in that, that new neurons would lost their action potential and be "empty"

also you could experience some defects caused from cutting frontal region, probably motoric ones
>>
>>7761073
Your premise is flawed because you can't just find a functionally equivalent "piece " of the frontal lobe to replace the missing part. Neurons and especially neuronal networks aren't interchangeable.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.