[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been an Asian STEM professor who didn't suck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: agwg001.jpg (50KB, 614x846px) Image search: [Google]
agwg001.jpg
50KB, 614x846px
Has there ever been an Asian STEM professor who didn't suck ass?

I'm not a racist by any means. I go to a top 20 math / engineering school, so I'm sure these guys are great in their fields and everything and maybe even great educators in their home country, but as educators in English they're horrible 100% of the time in my experience.
>>
All of the good ones I've had have been Asian-American
>>
I've had some bad and some good. Probably more good.
>>
Most of the Asian profs I've had have been good. That said, they've all been Indians who've been speaking English from a very young age, so I might have a biased sample here.
>>
>>7760543
I go to a school where it's mandatory that the professors speak both official languages. As such, we don't get the cream of the crop, we get whoever can speak both languages.

For some reason this is entirely Asians and Europeans who can't speak English for shit. Even though the school is 90% English and all second language students can speak and understand English perfectly, we get stuck attempting to decipher their sand-script and terrible Ringlish.
>>
>>7760991
I should add that it also does not benefit the 10% as its rare that they are better in our second language than in English. Generally they're much worse I've been told. The second language students often prefer going to English lectures because they're that bad.
>>
>>7760543
I had a great Materials Science professor from Japan. He was difficult to understand but he spent 2 1.5hr lectures talking about the metallurgy and tempering involved in making samurai swords. It was extremely interesting. And he really knew his shit.
>>
I have two Asian professors at the moment. One of them is quite hard to understand. I think he has some kind of speech impediment.
The other one is pretty easy to understand. She's also sort of a GILF.
>>
>>7760543
I have had a lot of bad experiences with Asian professor, they majority are terrible. But last semester I took Diff. Equ + Linear Alg. course with an Asian professor and he was spectacular.
>>
>>7760543
If that was my professor I wouldn't care how terrible she was.
>>
Probably not what you mean, but I had two Russian math professors who were both great teachers and a couple of the smartest guys I've ever met.
>>
>>7760543

Man, go eat a dick. My Biochem professor was a sweet Chinese grandma and she was a GOAT educator.
>>
I'm a PhD student in chemistry. During undergrad I had maybe 6 or 7 chinese (and one korean) chemistry and math profs, most of them were well intentioned but incomprehensible and didn't ever want to talk to anyone

I have a Korean one now and he's actually pretty good. Accent is thick but you can tell he makes an effort. He's kind of a dick, but in a funny way
>>
>>7760543
>I'm not a racist by any means
Pussy.
>>
>>7762141

Adding to my post: I also had one guy from India that I just remembered (I somehow always forget to include west asian/middle east). He was mostly good, accent was tech support tier, but he was nice. Total grading dick though.
>>
Every professor at my school is very kind except for this Asian chem prof.

He's full of himself, elitist, and an asshole. He doesn't respect you unless you've made some kind of name for yourself as an undergrad and even then he will not hesitate to look down on you.

I went to his office hours to review one of my tests and when I asked him why I got a question wrong he said "seriously? Seriously....if you don't know this you have some serious problems" (this was an upper level biochemistry course).

He got worse this semester I hear. Smart people getting Cs and Ds in his class. Apparently he told a few students in his office hours they might have mental disabilities and they should go see a doctor.

Seriously, fuck Asian professors.
>>
>>7760543
It honestly depends on the race. Not all Asian countries produce the same stereotype; I'll post my own pidgeon-holings from 3.5 years of a math degree.

Indian- Some of them are absolutely clueless and have no idea what they're even teaching. Some of them are great profs. Most tend to be a bit dickish but in a funny way.

Japanese - Only ever seen two of these. Both were good teachers but kind of stuffy and awkward.

Chinese - Every single one is a huge asshole. Know their shit but can't teach it, accent can be bad if they're first-gen.

Korean - Like the Chinese but less rude and far less common.

Arabs - Like the Indians but more leaning towards the clueless end. I have had a few good ones.

SE Asia - Do these exist?
>>
My chem and calculus professors were superb instructors. Nguyen and Kobayashi from CP (respectively), if you're reading this, you changed my life
>>
I only had Chinese prof who was very motivated and explained really well. His problem was that so compliant that some students turned the lecture into a babylevel course by asking stupid questions. He just didn't have the heart to say that this is prior knowledge and tell them to shut up.
>>
>>7762783
[email protected]
>>
>>7763452
no no no

[email protected]

AHAHAHA
>>
ever have a Nigerian?

Absolute fucking worst By yottameters.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.