[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, fellow /sci/entists. So I'm currently studying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

Hello, fellow /sci/entists.

So I'm currently studying nuclear physics, and today I came across the story of Hisashi Ouchi for the first time. For those unfamiliar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident
http://www.cnic.jp/english/newsletter/nit128/nit128articles/jco.html

Ouchi was exposed to lethal levels of radiation and kept alive by the government for almost three months against his will to see what would happen.

The morbid details of his death aside, I'm mostly interested in the cause of the accident itself. According to various other sources, he was pouring a bucket of aqueous uranyl nitrate into a tank containing uranium dioxide when the solution suddenly went critical. I've always been under the assumption that criticality can only be achieved with relatively large amounts of enriched uranium, but the uranium sustaining the reaction in this case was natural uranium. Since I haven't been able to find any information about this reaction, I figured you might be able to answer my questions:

1. Can high levels of gamma and neutron radiation like what killed Ouchi be produced by simply reacting aqueous uranyl nitrate with uranium dioxide?
2. Assuming it can, what's smallest amount of these two chemicals that can be combined to achieve criticality?
3. In the event that such a solution remained subcritical, would it still produce any measurable levels of gamma and neutron radiation?
4. Can such a reaction be safely reproduced in a lab setting?

Thank you for the help.
>>
>actually interesting thread
>no replies

Bumpin for OP
>>
just read the wikipedia

>> using uranium enriched to 18.8%
>> 16kg of uranuim

that seems like a relatively large amount of enriched uranium to me
>>
>>7759501
>that seems like a relatively large amount of enriched uranium to me
critical geometry
>>
>>7759452
Don't forget the tank non-design also contributed to this with a water jacket acting a a reflector. They eventual quenched the reaction with the removal of the water jacket and the addition of boron....
>>
File: 1450993162147.jpg (66KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1450993162147.jpg
66KB, 399x382px
>see picture
>his name was Ouchi
>>
>>7759522

the ou is pronounced like an elongated o like the word "coke" but thanks for the laugh
>>
>>7759571
>He was kept alive as long as possible because that is the customs/beliefs of Japanese society to preserve life no matter the cost.

You speak on behalf of Japanese society?
Do you know the suicide rate in Japan is twice that of most countries?

Regardless of their culture, what I see is a man who wanted to die and the government not letting him do so, for whatever reason, maybe they thought the society he was in expected him to "tough it out", caused him a lot of unwanted suffering.

Facts:

1) Suffering man wants to die
2) Organization doesn't let him.

I find this as repulsive as if a cult found a man in the same state and kept him alive for religious reasons.
>>
>>7759501

What about aqueous homogeneous reactors that can reach criticality with natural uranium dissolved in heavy water?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_homogeneous_reactor
>>
>>7759685
>>7759452

>against his will

Apologies, I don't think there is any source to back this up is there.

Your links just mentioned him not wanting to be experimented on, not many other details.

As far as I can see, he didn't want to be subjected to experimental treatment, there is no account of him being subjected to it against his will is there?
>>
File: 1439727616021.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1439727616021.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>7759522

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "oh-shee," but even so....
>>
>>7759685
It saddens me that my german government forbid medical assisted suicide against the overwhelming will of the population last year.
And of course it was for retarded religious reasons...
>>
>>7759452

Ouchi must have been feeling pretty ouchy after his skin peeled off
>>
>>7759752
Don't worry, meanwhile you can go to your neighbours in Nederland.
>>
Bumping for interest.
>>
>>7759452
Didn't he pour 7 buckets of aqueous uranyl nitrate

On the 7th it went critical
>>
>>7759522
oh-oo-she is how you pronounce that name, not ow-chi lol
>>
>>7759530
>>7759692
>>7760385
>all of these weebs
wow
>>
>>7760489

>weeb
>actually bothering to look up how to properly pronounce a foreign name so not to look ignorant if used in conservation

Pick one.
It was still a funny joke, though.
>>
>>7759752
Suicide is haram you know.
>>
>>7760525

*conversation

Fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>7759452
>Ouchi
I wonder if that's the word he uttered when the feces hit the fan
>>
He seems the victim of an explosion or burning, not radiation.
And also, wow! Misery impersonated.
anyways, thereÅ› a famopus, errr.. object/experiment that killed a record number of people in the us , achieving critical mass repeatedly. Nedd to look that up.
>>
>>7760959
>radiation burns
>>
>>7759452
Jesus fuck OP, don't post gore on blue boards ffs

would report but it's legit thread

sage instead
>>
>>7759491
Yeah, what the fuck happened to sci, bump
>>
Side question - I've been reading a lot about radioactive accidents lately, orphan sources etc - does anyone know who has received the largest dose of radiation ever?

This Ouchi guy at 17Sv is taking the cake so far...
>>
>>7759690

Just look at the OP's picture.
>>
>>7761028
There were people who sustained a crazy amount of radiation over time in cases of human experimentation in america
>>
>>7761159
>over time
key distinction
>>
>>7761028
Albert Stevens.
64 Sv.
It didn't kill him.
>>
>>7759690
>Apologies, I don't think there is any source to back this up is there.
>Thus he must have wanted

I believe the only words he ever muttered during the time was "mommy make it stop"

Tbh I would have kept him alive just as the Japanese did to study the effects of such acute radiation poisoning, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and pretend that's what he wanted
>>
They had a large amount of Urainium in chemical form as opposed to an isotope. The amount they added would probably be enough to reach critical mass
>>
>>7761172
>in chemical form as opposed to an isotope
ayy lmao
>>
>>7761160
"Over time" is actually much worse than acute doses in a small interval time.
>>
>>7761176
no. 5 sv in an hour time will kill you
5 sv in a year is no biggy
>>
>>7761197
well 5 sv in a year isnt no biggy, i meant 5 rem, but it wont kill you like it would if absorbed in an hour
>>
>>7761176
>death in days to weeks, internal bleeding, vomiting, terrible pain vs an increased risk of developing cancer later in life
ayy
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.