[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Garage Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: flag.png (60KB, 442x368px) Image search: [Google]
flag.png
60KB, 442x368px
Hi /sci/,

do you think there are still discoveries and worthy inventions that anyone can do on their own, or at least with small budgets?

It feels like any new invention or important scientific success is only in hands of relevant Unis, government or corporations with huge teams and millions to spend.

Do you see any relevant discovery in the next few decades happening in a garage? In what field? Do you play with any idea? I wish I was smart enough to make rockectless space travel a reality, for example.
>>
There probably lots of material specfic macroscropic behaviours (e.g the mpeba effect) that you could find with a simple setup.
>>
a lot of mathematical solutions are, the guy who proved that you cant have pythagorean triplets when the power is more than two was alone and didn't have millions (at least not until he proved it)
>>
also rick sanchez built a flying saucer out of garbage he found in the garage
>>
>>7758780
Possible in computer science and maybe genetics. CRISPR for instance is relatively accessible.

It's just highly unlikely that the most intelligent or best people are in garages.
>>
>>7758780
sonoluminescence is not yet fully understood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yHDeKFW8j8
>>
>>7758833
What kind of equipment is needed to experiment with CRISPR?
>>
I'm interested in what science there is to do by people with a bunch of money to spend. Say I have a million dollars. Could I use that to make a big scientific discovery? How?
>>
>>7760567
Several shrimp and their prey
>>
>>7760452
>>7760576
We've got to learn how to harvest these shrimps snaps as an energy source.
>>
>>7758828
Who is this Rick Sanchez?
>>
There doubtless is but you're going to have to be real smart to figure out what it is.

CS and math don't really need more than a decent computer. If you can get a real good computer there's a lot of computational work in physics and engineering to be done.

Then of course there are observational sciences which don't even need a garage.
>>
>>7758780
Yes, easily. Just pick anything that won't make money at all and start researching it.
>>
>>7760574
Yes. I'm not sure it will be big but pick any random life on Earth that is not that well studied and include some genetic sequencing.

You'll quickly discover something new about their adaptations.
>>
>>7760797
It's a shitpost about a TV show called rick and morty
>>
>>7760925
Excellent! Now all I need to do is acquire a blow fish.
>>
>>7760797
The guy who built a flying saucer out of garbage he found in the garage
>>
>>7758780
Mathematics.

>>7758833
>It's just highly unlikely that the most intelligent or best people are in garages.

That's an unfounded assumption. Maybe the smartest people are making inventions all the time, and just discard them because they don't care.
>>
There's plenty of youtube videos that are just people in their garages doing science. Put some ads on them and maybe you could make a living doing your own research if it's neat enough and you post it on /sci/
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.