[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was mathematics created or discovered?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: Kurt_gödel.jpg (22KB, 212x270px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt_gödel.jpg
22KB, 212x270px
Was mathematics created or discovered?
>>
depends on how you look at it
>>
>>7758293
why do you care faggot you probably don't even know calculus
>>
File: 98b.jpg (19KB, 399x295px) Image search: [Google]
98b.jpg
19KB, 399x295px
>>7758293
Was you asking this question an act of free will or we're you compelled?

Compelled by memes?
>>
>>7758293
There he is. There he goes again. Look, everyone! He posted it once again! Isn’t he just the funniest guy around?! Oh my God.
I can almost see your pathetic overweight frame glowing in the dark, lit by your computer screen which is the only source of light in your room, giggling like a like girl as you once again type your little mathematics thread up and fill in the captcha. Or maybe you don’t even fill in the captcha. Maybe you’re such a disgusting NEET that you actually paid for a 4chan pass, so you just choose the picture. I imagine you little shit laughing so hard as you click it that you drop your Doritos on the floor, but it’s ok, your mother will clean it up in the morning. Oh, that’s right. Did I fail to mention? You live with your mother. You are a fat fucking fuckup, she’s probably so sick of you already. So sick of having to do everything for you all goddamn day, every day, for a grown man who spends all his time on 4chan posting fucking shitposts. Just imagine this. She had you, and then she thought you were gonna be a scientist or an astronaut or something grand, and then you became a NEET. A pathetic shitpostingfag NEET. She probably cries herself to sleep everyday thinking about how bad it is and how she wishes she could just disappear. She can’t even try to talk with you because all you say is “Was mathematics created or discovered?” You’ve become a parody of your own self. And that’s all you are. A sad little man laughing in the dark by himself as he prepares to indulge in the same old dance that he’s done a million times now. And that’s all you’ll ever be.
>>
>>7758293
>created or discovered
yes
>>
>>7758293
>hurr I poasted it again
>>
>>7758305

I double majored in CS and Math
>>
>>7758315
2/10 copypasta, couldn't get past the second line.
>>
>>7758315
This pasta makes me cringe every time.
>>
>>7758323

That's unfortunate, friend.
I really, really, really like this pasta.

>>7758334

Save it, it's yours :^)
>>
Created. No one has ever empirically observed a number.
>>
>>7758360

You are observing a symbol, that was created by man, that represents a number.
>>
>>7758360
How can mirrors be real, if our i's aren't real?
>>
>>7758293
Discovered
>>
>>7758293
any self-respecting mathematician of any generation and any time will tell you that it was discovered. Do people actually debate over this?
>>
Was this post created by me or discovered by you?

Stupid idiots
>>
>>7758293
Mathematics was dicovered. The symbols were invented.
>>
>>7759723
No idea. For all I know I might just be the only sentient being in this universe.
>>
We create the rules and discover the logical consequences of those rules.

^^^^ This is the correct answer btw, all other answers are wrong.
>>
File: imagination.jpg (54KB, 381x510px) Image search: [Google]
imagination.jpg
54KB, 381x510px
/sci/ really is a weird bunch sometimes. Now you're all saying it's obvious math is discovered, while other times you get completely buttblasted when someone mentions mathematical platonism.
>>
>>7758315
Is there really copypasta on /sci/? what the fuck this board is where i go to get away from /b/. Fuck
>>
>>7758293
well, math and science alike are the truths engraved into our existence, so they have always sort of been around.
>>
>>7759813
You read opinions of 15 to 35 year olds without knowing who is who. Some are doing their math PhD, some do math just as a hobby, you might talk to some spergs who just came her to ask about a fantasy physics question for their fantasy novel or video game idea, some come here merely to ask homework questions and you might even talk to an engineer without knowing it.
So you can't make such a judgement.
>>
>>7758293
Definitions are created and properties/theorems are discovered.
>>
>>7758293
well since ancient civilizations used it make architecture and help with payment, i think it was probably created to help out with events in daily life that needed calculation
>>
>>7760306

>can't
he just did
>>
If you check the origins of geometry, i would say math was discovered, in the long run we have created math from nowhere to be discovered aside the math we created.
>>
>>52216720
It is created. Mathematics has no meaning outside the context of language and thinking. Everything from the simplest counting to the most advanced, it's just rules meant to describe something as a language. The whole field of mathematics is basically trying to find grammar that do not contradict itself and it has tons of useful features because it describes certain aspects of the world very well.
>>
>>7758321
nice meme my friend ;)
>>
>>7760587
>it describes certain aspects of the world very well.
only if you choose to describe the world, and only if you choose to describe it through mathematics
>>
>>7760064
4chan is plagued by /b/. You will never see the end of it.
>>
>>7760587
While axioms are created, regularities/theorems are discovered.

It's like one guy invents a game, and another discovers a winning strategy.
>>
>>7758293
Dumb question but does logic exist with out humans to intpret it? If there was nobody to look at it, would P \Rightarrow Q ?
>>
>>7761967
im dumb
[math] P \Rightarrow Q [/math]
>>
>>7758293
theory was discovered, mathematics created.
>>
>>7761967
Logic is the branch of philosophy concerned with the use and study of valid reasoning.
Reason is the capacity for consciously making sense of things.
Consciousness is the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself.

Issues of concern in the philosophy of consciousness include whether the concept is fundamentally coherent; whether consciousness can ever be explained mechanistically; whether non-human consciousness exists and if so how can it be recognized.
>>
>>7758293
Mathematics is a language for describing reality.

Was reality discovered or created?

Was the concept of time discovered or created?

When you throw a ball, is the ball's path being created, or merely traversed?
>>
This is a perfect example of why we need a /phi/ board - for (all) philosophy and (all) mathematics.
>>
>>7763359
Sorry, I meant to say for ∀ philosophy ∪ mathematics.

Or philosophy for short.
>>
>>7763359
You need a philosophy board for mathematics?

I'd like to see any philosophy major talk about mathematics.
>>
>>7758293
yes
>>
>>7763367
No, it's for philosophy AND mathematics
Similarly phi doesn't just stand for philosophy but Phi is also used in mathematics (e.g. for the golden ratio - which has also come up in philosophy)
that'sthejoke

so it'd be philosophy/maths stuff including logic, maybe puzzles, programmingm, etc.
/sci/ without being focused on science
>>
File: 1427321333008.jpg (7KB, 146x227px) Image search: [Google]
1427321333008.jpg
7KB, 146x227px
>>7763367
>I'd like to see any philosophy major talk about mathematics.
he would be even funnier to see a mathematician talking about why he does math.
>>
>>7763359
>>>/his/
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.