[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Math does an engineer need?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1451710494631.jpg (78KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451710494631.jpg
78KB, 640x960px
Well, /sci/, what math does an engineer need? Which engineering majors need it the most?

Pic unrelated.
>>
Faggot, no one wants to help a piece of shit engineer. Go major in math so you know all the math and can do what an engineer does. Faggot.
>>
>>7757816
I guess algebra for formulas? Honestly a computer can do your job.
>>
You need a constructive topos in which univalence holds. In fact, we all do.
>>
>>7757942
Pretty much

>>7757944
Stfu you little faggot, don't help that oompa loompa.
>>
>>7757938
>>7757942
>>7757950
I see the new generation of big bang theory watching, redditor frequenting fuckwits have arrived.

>>7757816
>>>/adv/
>>
>>7757816
Elementary algebra and calculus. Maybe some analytic geometry and elementary linear algebra.
>>
If you're a ChemE, differential equations are pretty important.
>>
>>7757816
Serious answer:
It depends on what type of engineer. A strong understanding of applied multivar calculus will be helpful in any field. ODEs will be useful for pretty much anything you do as well. Beyond that, linear algebra comes up quite a bit and for certain fields (e.g. Aero) you will find PDEs very useful.

Aside from those broader categories, you might take some more specialized classes depending on your focus. E.g. discrete is generally recommended for CompE; a course in optimization for others.
>>
>>7757816

I'm in mechanical, I took calc 1-3, linear algebra 1 and 2, differential eqns and an advanced boundary value problems class. differential geometry and functions of a complex variable.

Didn't have to take the differential geometry class but they had it as an elective option in my program.
>>
Unless youre going for a PHD all you need is familiarity with ODEs/PDEs. A lot of engineering is based on calculus/diffeq but in real life (and most classes) the most you do is double check a machine's algebra, the diffeqs and calc are long solved and easy to look up.
>>
http://www.cambridge.org/lt/academic/subjects/physics/mathematical-methods/mathematical-methods-physics-and-engineering-comprehensive-guide-3rd-edition I think this covers up the basics stuff, other one is Arfkens "Mathematical methods for physicists"
>>
File: payload.jpg (37KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
payload.jpg
37KB, 300x300px
You can cruise through Software Engineering with minimal algebra knowledge, but the more you have the better/easier you/it get/gets
>>
>>7757816
any name on this c-men d-mon?
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 593x596px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 593x596px
>>7759128

No but here's another
>>
>>7757963
Haha I love how everyone here likes to shit talk reddit but /r/physics is 100x better than this piece of shit board. Literally 90% of the post are retarded memes/highschool homework/Im so smart/general retardation.
>>
You just need to know how to read values from the chart and put them into Matlab
>>
>>7759658
Mfw i was gonna post this
>>
I would say linear algebra
>>
all you need is free online calculators

I'm not an engineer. But I do have to hire engineers to certify my work. They never change anything I draw. My shit is always good so they just stamp it off.
>>
Calc, Ordinary and Partial Diff Eqs, Linear Algebra, and Probability.
>>
>>7759815
this covers it all.
>>
>>7757816
Very little. You only need to understand the idea of greater than, less than and basic values. I mean you don't even need to know numbers, although they do help in communicating your ideas to others.
>>
>all these faggots shitting on engies not needing maths
>can't even grasp basics of FEM, or any numerical method for that matter
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.