[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should high intelligence be classified as a mental illness?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: happic.jpg (12KB, 480x230px) Image search: [Google]
happic.jpg
12KB, 480x230px
Should high intelligence be classified as a mental illness?

1. High intelligence is abnormal (statistically very rare)

2. The ones affected by it are suffering. High IQ people tend to get bored quickly when having to deal with average brainlets. They suffer from alienation and from social stigma / bullying. Also they are more prone to severe depression.

3. High intelligence causes suffering to other people because they get envious.

Discuss.
>>
>The ones affected by it are suffering. High IQ people tend to get bored quickly when having to deal with average brainlets. They suffer from alienation and from social stigma / bullying. Also they are more prone to severe depression.

Says who?

>High intelligence causes suffering to other people because they get envious.

lol
>>
Should being OP be classified as a mental illness?

1. Starting new threads is abnormal (statistically very rare)

2. The ones affected by it are suffering. OPs tend to get bored quickly when having to deal with no replies. They suffer from alienation and from social stigma / bullying. Also they are more prone to severe faggotry.

3. Being OP causes suffering to other people because they have to wade through countless shit threads to find one or two worthwhile.

Discuss.
>>
>>7756185

Autism is already considered a mental illness.
>>
>>7756185
Why is there always an urge to label ones self

>I have a hard time sleeping
MUST BE INSOMNIA
>I scored okay on an iq test
MUST BE DEPRESSION
>I have a hard time getting through school
NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, MY PARENTS ABUSED ME
>>
>>7756185

none of your concern
>>
I dont think that in itself is a mental illness, but i think it could be paired with depression.

Ive known alot of people (including myself) who have been both "smart" (in terms of crystalized knowledge) and been diagnosed with major depressive disorder. So i can see where youre comong from
>>
>>7756185
Shut the hell up you euphoric fuck. You aren't miserable because you are smart. You are miserable because you're a worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>7756238
Correlation does not imply causation.
>>
i had assburgers
so that means i am einstein or feynman or hawking or gauss right

right
also spurdo sparde sprolölölö
>>
>>7756307
>had
bruh
>>
>>7756185
1. So what?
2. Only true for autistic edgy tards who think they are intelligent while they are actually quite retarded. Actually intelligent people do not suffer from it, quite the opposite. Depression and most other mental illness is correlated with low intelligence, not high.
3. In that case a lot of things would be classified as mental illness.
>>
>>7756220
This, and it's made even worse when people want to label themselves as intelligent.

>Nobody likes me
MUST BE TOO INTELLIGENT
>I'm not always happy every day
MUST BE TOO INTELLIGENT TO BE BLISSFULLY IGNORANT
>I don't get enough sleep
MUST BE MY OVERACTIVE BRAIN BECAUSE I'M SO INTELLIGENT
>failing high school
MUST BE BECAUSE I'M TOO INTELLIGENT TO WASTE MY TIME ON SCHOOL
>Can't find car keys
MUST HAVE BEEN DISTRACTED BY MORE INTELLIGENT THOUGHTS ABOUT THE QUANTUM MECHANICS I LEARNED FROM THAT DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW WHEN I SET THEM DOWN.
>>
They are more prone to social conditioning which itself is a form of learning, thus they stall on the past too much - a byproduct of anxiety, loop thinking. I have found that the when you nicely start a conversation with the quiet guy in the company, they very often spill out humorous charisma. Its the people who say fuck it "I don't care about this motherfucking bullshit" are the ones who can maintain in social conditions with their heightened intellect but then again - it requires iron will.
>>
>>7756185
>The ones affected by it are suffering
This is where the idea falls flat. No, you are not alone because you are too smart for everyone else. No, you are not tumblr depressed because you're unique or special.

Most people, smart people included, are not chronically unhappy, but are in a neutral state, give or take.

You're just an average minded neet, shitposting on a Tajikistani surfing enthusiast's forum.
>>
>>7756185
Fuck off back to /x/.
>>
>>7757144
Kek'd so hard
>>
>>7757144
Literally no one acts like that you retard. Have you ever tried, you know, talking to people?
>>
>>7757144
I don't know wtf >>7759367 is talking about; your post seems pretty spot-on to me.
>>
>>7759419
>>7759367 is definitely one of the people that >>7757144 described and got butthurt over fact.
>>
>>7756185
Intelligence is a meme desu
It's subjective as shit
>>
>>7756185
1. High intelligence and mental illness having this in common don't make them the same thing
2. Not all high IQ people are suffering. These traits do not affect all high IQ individuals.
3.Mental illness does not cause envy, there is no connection here.
Mental illness is something that usually offers no benefit and is worthy of treatment. High intellect is highly beneficial and is not even worth a second glance.
>>
>>7756185
No. I'd guess it's the otherway around: people who are different from others tend to become alienated from the population, and hence have more time to become obsessed with something.

The only way they could be social and so on is by emulating behaviour, or by developing their intellectual abilities to a point where everything else doesn't matter.

Let's look at Hawking for a moment. The guy can barely communicate and he's unable to do anything aside from that. Yet he's considered to be one of the smartest people alive.

If he didn't have ALS, he wouldn't had done most of his discoveries nor theories(even though he had the necesary background). Because he would have done something else with his time. The cripling illness is his blessing and his curse.
>>
thats why alcool and other drugs existes.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.