[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly can we make a Light Shield/ Plasma Window in real life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: plasmashield[1].jpg (33KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
plasmashield[1].jpg
33KB, 800x600px
How exactly can we make a Light Shield/ Plasma Window in real life?
>>
Constant nuclear fusion...
Fire is a form of plasma, so if you cover something in say rubbing alcohol and light it on fire, you have created a plasma shield. But this form of plasma won't do shit for stopping things, what you want is plasma at a few million or billion degrees, that way it will destroy damn near anything that is launched at it.
I don't know much about plasma physics though
>>
>>6667361
Density is just as important as temperature.
>>
How will you prevent the surface covered in plasma from being destroyed itself though?
I say its impossible due to insanely high temperatures of the "shield"
>>
>>6667350
How does plasma shield even work as a shield?
>>
>>6667369
you would need a really strong magnetic field, but would that prevent projection of the shield?

also couldn't you just ram anything reasonable(like another ship, but not a planet or large asteroid) with impunity if the shield was active.
>>
File: Plasmawindow.jpg (46KB, 745x616px) Image search: [Google]
Plasmawindow.jpg
46KB, 745x616px
>>6667350
Plasma windows exist in real life:

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/2001/bnlpr121101b.htm

//thread
>>
>>6667376
The question is how would you generate a magnetic field that could contain the plasma from the inside. Tokamaks have magnets on all sides.
>>
>>6667379
But not the kind that can be used by people that can also stop lasers and bullets. Checkmate atheist.
>>
>>6667479
the question was "how exactly can we make a plasma window in real-life," the answer is we can.

>> can be used by people
Plasma windows are used by people so that electron beam welding can be done.

>> stop lasers and bullets
that's not the point of a plasma window, the whole point of a plasma window is to prevent atmosphere from intruding into vacuum while allowing an electron beam or something else to pass out into the atmosphere.

In fact, plasma windows have even been proposed as a way to allow projectiles accelerated in a vacuum environment to escape from said environment without losing vacuum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarTram

TL;DR plasma window's primary purpose is to stop air and allow everything else.
>>
>>6667501
Thats so.....boring.
>>
Hypothetically:

Lasers won't ever be used because the heat generated by them is about equal to the heat output; any damage will inflict comparable damage to ourselves; not to mention eat up a ton of energy which we may or may not need.

Therefore, I think torpedo and missiles will be the primary means of space combat in the future. There are a few ways you could combat these:

* Iron-dome style counter rockets.

* Thick-ass armor

* Directed EMP pulses

This solution is probably better than trying to make star-trek style shields.
>>
File: Bach-deal-with-it.jpg (87KB, 625x472px) Image search: [Google]
Bach-deal-with-it.jpg
87KB, 625x472px
>>6667616
>>
>>6667361
FIRE
IS
NOT
A
FUCKING
PLASMA
JESUS
CHRIST
>>
>>6667350

We can by the power of Allah.
>>
>>6668245
I bet you it is.
>>
ALL shields are ionized.

To be honest, it's possible to hold a breathable atmosphere against a ship if enough of the gas is electromagnetically responsive.
>>
>>6668534
>fire has no electrons.
?
>>
>>6667663
With laser weapons your weapon has an optimized heatsink whereas your target does not (ideally). The problem with laser weapons is more that they can be completely countered by mirroring of the target's surface.
>>
>>6667663
Also, the ideal space based weaponry would be kinetic based. Explosions are cool but in space all your need to do is break their hull and a ferric slug accelerated to high speeds.
>>
>>6668546
The bigger problem is that lasers create their own best defense against lasers.

When you hit something with a laser, the particles that are turned to gas block the laser.
>>
>>6668544
A lot of fires have energies well above the first ionization energy of whatever it's burning.

Oh but I'm also a scientist so I'll back up my claims with experimental evidence instead of vehemently defending my position on intuition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7_8Gc_Llr8
>>
>>6668562
Sorry, but youtube is blocked.
>>
>>6668565
hardly as convincing as the video, but here's more evidence.

http://phys.org/news/2013-10-company-electric-field-flame-power.html

By the way, I'm not claiming that fire is solely composed of ions, I'm saying it contains enough ionized gases to react predictably to electromagnetic fields.
>>
>>6667501
Haven't plasma windows been proposed to be used as protection against cosmic rays and other interplanetary nasties?
>>
>>6668644
no, that would be an artificial magnetosphere which is completely different from a plasma window
>>
>>6668552
But what if space jousting
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.