[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>that feel when no freewill

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 23

File: 140525124141.png (7KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
140525124141.png
7KB, 212x238px
>that feel when no freewill
>>
>>26461090
>Not spitting into the eye of god and believing you have it regardless.
>>
>>26461090
feels bad man

it's something so many people think they have it's funny
>>
>>26461900
It's not a matter of god. Every action and decision you make is predetermined by your own personality. There was no chance of you being a normie with a gf. You were hardwired to become the person you are today
>>
>>26461958
So? What are you going to do about it?
Just give up and accept it? Like a little bitch?
>>
File: 1373379305629.jpg (48KB, 534x630px) Image search: [Google]
1373379305629.jpg
48KB, 534x630px
>tfw factors outside my control are making me post in this thread even though I don't want to
>>
File: 1656804094.jpg (16KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1656804094.jpg
16KB, 320x320px
>>26462008
>It was predetermined for me to read and respond to your post.
>>
>>26461983
you don't seem to comprehend is something you have no power on.

Your subconscious makes decisions for you... you don't even realize that. There's nothing to be done
>>
>>26461090
>tfw I have free will

and im using it to shitpost on /r9k/

truly, a wondrous gift from the gods
>>
>>26461983
In a world without free will, what else is there to do? Who am I to question the will of the fates? I'm here because I'm supposed to be here, doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
>>
>>26462047
You can always struggle against your fate, anon, regardless of whether or not you think its futile. You can choose whether or not you want to accept your own circumstances, or whether you want to change them.

''Free will doesn't exist" is just an excuse for you to comfortably check out of the world and blame everything except yourself.
>>
>Tfw have freewill

>Use it to shitpost on r9k
>>
>>26462080
no you do not.

Free will implies the absolute control over your brain's processes, that means control over your neurons and that means control over electrons and neutrons and that means control over sub atomic particles

Which you obviously don't have
>>
>>26461958
>predetermined by your own personality
wrong, everything is predetermined but its not because of your 'personality'
>>
>>26462104
that's it ... you have the ILLUSION OF CHOICE but no free will

remember that.
>>
>>26461958
You seem to be confusing your past events as predetermined. Enviromental factors aren't hardwired into existence, they only seem that way upon reflection.
>>
File: 1372741594954.png (14KB, 346x299px) Image search: [Google]
1372741594954.png
14KB, 346x299px
>>26462037
I am being guided to give you the following information. I'm not sure what it means, but it will affect the choices you will make in the future.

>Chromium has many oxidation states, including all numbers in the range 6 to -2 along with the outlier -4.
>>
>>26462111
but I do anon

faith is independent of everything, and if you truly have faith you will be granted such control

follow the path anon
>>
>>26462149
you are so deluded

sad to see people like this
>>
File: 1335506417303.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1335506417303.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
>>26462140
>along with the outlier -4

Chromium in the -4 oxidation state? Anon, tell me more!
>>
>>26462104
>You can always struggle against your fate, anon
>anon
yay the feigned empathyfags are here, no, by definition you cannot 'struggle against fate' in a deterministic world, unless op is talking about soft determinism, in which you may.
>>
File: smugjak.png (18KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
smugjak.png
18KB, 640x712px
>>26462166
I believe in you anon, you can do it

take that first step into freedom and relish it

or rot away in this foul dungeon of despair and ruin
>>
>>26462127
That is not the point.
The point is that your belief of free will not existing is no excuse not to try doing anything. It is just your escape mechanism when things don't go your way in life. You'll blame it on the fact that we have no 'free will' and everything is 'beyond our control', but really you'd just be lying to yourself and digging a deeper hole.

Regardless of the free will argument, it is important to recognize that you are ultimately in control of your own actions (regardless of whether you actually are or aren't). This keeps you accountable. It makes you focus on fixing and improving yourself rather than blaming others, which is something many people on /r9k/ struggle with.
>>
>>26461958
How do you get a personality?
What is the nature of personality?

Free will comes about from a feedback loop of self awareness and facility.
Some are trapped by that loop.
Some with the willpower and tenacity and esp stamina can wear down that feedback loop.

Change takes time.
Time is relative
We want things sooner
Hardly have time to look at big picture.
Change happens bit by bit
We just are to concerned with who we are now then who we were or what we want to be. However justified.
Change is documented by historians.
>>
>>26462224
> is no excuse not to try doing anything.

i never said i'm not doing anything you are just making shit up. all i said is there is no free will and true choice, there's only the illusion ,

> It is just your escape mechanism

it's actually being researched and it's being concluded that there's no free will. Free will implies control over something you have no control on.

>This keeps you accountable

I never said the absence of free will deprives people of accountability and responsibility. Stop saying shit i didn't say

>blaming others

i have only myself to blame. stop putting words into my mouth

>>26462202
i don't religious people are such a sad amalgama of human beings, not being able to accept their immeasurable insignificance.

Sad truly sad
>>
I am being told to relay this information to the main character, he is in this thread.

Tiffany is the key.
>>
>>26462349
I'm not religious anon

you know the answer, just look at it
>>
>>26462469

there is no answer, life is meaningless to me because i can't find meaning for myself.

So i'm just killing time waiting to die
>>
File: 1454252358713.gif (2MB, 269x321px) Image search: [Google]
1454252358713.gif
2MB, 269x321px
>>26462505
stop being so edgy anon and search for the meaning, you'll find it eventually
>>
>>26461958

Does this make you feel better about your glaring flaws? Other people work to change their behavior. You just blame "the universe" for making you this way.
>>
>>26462711
Not him but other people are cucks if they work to improve.
>>
File: 1441752500056.jpg (32KB, 399x295px) Image search: [Google]
1441752500056.jpg
32KB, 399x295px
Mind if I cut in?
>>
>>26462740

>self-improvement is for cucks!

-24 year old virgin misogynist, 2016
>>
File: 1443052169066.png (65KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
1443052169066.png
65KB, 500x480px
>>26462653
yeah see that's the problem you just discard it as edgy. but i'm not trying to... i'm truly devoid of any.

All i'm doing right now is being a beta fag wageslage (luckily i stopped being an orbiter and realized what kind of an idiot i was) i'm saving money i'm buying a motorcycle and i'm gonna crash it and i'm gonna die.

And that will be that.

See i don't want to "search" because there's nothing to search for. Look above you and see how insignificant all of this is.

>inb4 edgy faggot again

I'm just killing time and hoping to die as soon as possible so i don't have to an hero and be the shame of the family.
>>
>>26462820
It is. If you got born inferior and have to work hard to overcome these things, you are helping normie society. Society of people which shits on you. You are a cuck.
>>
File: 768695674563.jpg (70KB, 1198x998px) Image search: [Google]
768695674563.jpg
70KB, 1198x998px
>>26462826
>shame of the family

then go out in style

fulfil your destiny and do something great

or will you reject that destiny and gain free will?

the choice is yours anon
>>
File: horror.png (1MB, 619x594px) Image search: [Google]
horror.png
1MB, 619x594px
>>26462911

Jesus you almost made me puke... fucking hell.... please man i'm sensitive to garbage like that watch what you type.

wish i could strangle you real hard right now
>>
>>26462886

People only shit on you because society would crumble if retarded behavior like yours was accepted. It's your own fault for being an asshole and blaming the world for your problems.
>>
>>26462826
You treat free will like its something someone should always have. They can live life regardless and so on.
But a truly free person is more like a politician or a dictator or someone really paychotic or autistic.
You have free will, society imposes limits on that.
Its not always on.
And its not always all the way on.
>>
>>26463148
The world is to blame. The world is what treated me like shit for things I can't change. Which caused other problems. It's the world which didn't treat me fairly.
>>
>>26463217

>things I can't change

why is it that everyone around you can learn and grow and improve their personalities but you can't?

nobody is going to coddle you through being an asshole.
>>
>>26463290
Because they are cucks who accept humiliation for a chance at slightly better life. They have no pride, they are not human as far as I am concerned. Just normie sympathizers.
>>
File: 1444824802755.jpg (32KB, 489x705px) Image search: [Google]
1444824802755.jpg
32KB, 489x705px
>>26463162
>You have free will, society imposes limits on that.

you obviously don't understand the concept of free will, if i start asking you

Why do you post here?

you will give me an answer, and i will keep asking you why until you realize you don't know, and that's because your subconscious makes the decision making and you don't realize the choices being made are not of your own will but rather influenced by thousands and thousands of factors. Your brain takes in consideration so many variables you don't realize that.

but what ever i'll try to explain it once more

YOU DO NOT HAVE... follow me because it's hard now FREE WILL, you have the illusion of choice.

Free will implies like i said before, control over the brain and the subconscious. So you can stop with your idiotic claims and society.

Rules need to be enforced because humans seek to thrive and to have a
progeny and they want it to grow in a safe environment, that's an empirical law even animals have cubs where predators can't get to them, because that ensures the survival of the species.

Free will means that after you looked that pic related you can control your thoughts about wanting to reproduce with her and squeeze her tits, (which you can't because you don't control the neurons in your brain)

so in conclusion you have no idea what free will is
>>
>>26461090

hey dude, kill yourself. i cant believe you would even think of something like this and claim you have no free will. dumbass.
>>
>>26463345

It sucks that you're so embarrassed by your behavior that acknowledging it to change it would make you feel humiliated.

Most people would rather change their behavior than continue to embarrass themselves by acting like a cynical/pessimistic/edgelord child.
>>
>>26461090
You know what a lot of failures have in common. An external locus of control.

Just something to think about.
>>
>>26463407

>drug addict logic

I JUST CAN'T HELP MUHSELF I AM CONTROLLED BY MUH ANIMAL INSTINCT I NEED DAT DOPAMINE QUICK SOMEBODY COOK ME SOME POPPIES
>>
>>26463708

YES THIS

HOLY SHIT FUCK
>>
>>26462111
you are your brains processes. you have control over what your environment is. free will is part of that.
>>
>>26463407
>YOU DO NOT HAVE... follow me because it's hard now FREE WILL, you have the illusion of choice.
Free will means you can make decisions for yourself just because there are consequences and you base new decisions off former consequences doesn't take away your choice.

Also just going to point out God curses people for generations sometimes, you might have all the free will in the world but your great great great great great great grandma was a whore or your great great great great great great great great great great grandpa did something to piss off God and he thinks y'all can go fuck yourselves for all he cares.
>>
>>26463407

>being this unaware of the superego

you can have an impulsive desire to do something without actually choosing to do it BECAUSE YOU HAVE FREE WILL
>>
>>26463407
But anon, you say free will is the control over your brain and subconscious. Who should be controlling? Some transcendent soul?
Even the idea of that is dumb. The brain is as high as it can get. Free will isn't clearly defiend. For me it means that I am free to act knowing my emotions and memories. I can plan ahead and think what might happen if I do things the other way.
I don't know if every future action of me could be calculated given enough information about the current moment and enough time. You don't either. But in the end it doesn't change a thing. However is making the decisions I'm making (or experiencing) is essentially, for I am nothing more than a high-level function of an advanced animal brain to increase efficency.
>>
>>26462349
if someone has no free will, how can they be accountable for their actions? they're just a helpless product of circumstances.

you aren't actually looking at a naked animated woman when you masturbate on 4chan. it's just a collection of pixels. an illusion. yet it still arouses you anyways and becomes a part of your mind, influences your actions compelling you towards a cluster of behaviors.
>>
>>26463887
>*Whoever is making the decisions I'm making (or experiencing) is essentially me, ....
Sorry, am drunk.
>>
What makes you think you don't have free will?
>>
>>26463787

Exactly if you can't control the very thing that takes decisions you can't argue you have free will

As simple as that.

>>26463820
>you are your brains processes.
Yes it contains your consciousness and your subconsciousness, and therefore you only have an illusion of choice about your actions, I DECIDE TO LIFT , I DECIDE TO GO OUT, I DECIDE THIS and that, you get the idea. You think YOU are making the choices (you being your conscious part) but you are truly not

>you have control over what your environment is
This is something i don't understand what it's supposed to mean.
>>
File: 1442589494178.jpg (17KB, 300x316px) Image search: [Google]
1442589494178.jpg
17KB, 300x316px
>>26463852
>god

what a pathetic waste of space you are
>>
So i am curious as to these experiments that discount free will.

And before you bring up those mri of the decision making parts of the brain before you think about making the choice knows nothing about the nature of the brain and what the MRI actually measures.
>>
>>26463407
if this woman was real i would never violate a random stranger like that. what's wrong with you? also those aren't even good child rearing hips.

the brain is shaped by your actions. memory and emotion creates new pathways. mental illness atrophies. some people are lucky and blessed with a brain chemistry that makes them more intelligent. the foundation of this phenomena is choosing to build interest, on your own. when practiced mindfulness meditators can better endure pain, it begins when they make the choice not to let pain worry them, beginning from that initial choice onwards.
>>
>>26462111

You are your brain. You do have complete control over your neurons, unless affected byb certain neurotoxins. You *are* the sub-atomic particles make up you. You just don't get it, do you? You don't exist as a piece of matter, or in any physical sense, you exist as the *process* of being. DNA has discovered a useful way of staying around long enough to propegate itself is to form a human. That human needs to be able to move, think and communicate to survive. So, a bunch of processes such as eating, digesting, learning, conversating ect are neccesary to keep you moving long enough to reproduce. You are an algamation of those processes, not any one piece of it. And by "being" that process, you have control of it because you "are" that process. You are cells respiring. You are the sodium ions that make your nerves pass on electronic signals ect.
>>
>this thread again
Yes, anon, we get it. Nothing really matters because we never made a choice because in choosing we end up with a non-choice.
shit thread
>>
>>26463947
so then free will is a matter of convenience in grammar.
>>
>>26463865
No you don't get it my point is not about the EGO or the super ego, i was merely demonstrating to you that you can't control the thoughts that pop inside your brain, even at an unconscious level there's situations being analyzed and evaluated.

The naked woman analogy was a bad one and you are steering the conversation elsewhere. Like i said, you have no control over the thoughts that pop into your head if you right now read the word BANANA you can't control your neurons not to picture the color, the shape, the smell, of it.

So you can see there's no actual will because you cannot choose not to think about it.

And it goes deeper than that, free will implies control over the very molecules and atoms that fire inside your brain, which you obviously don't control.

>>26463887
You are on drugs

>>26463920
This is an understandable logical fallacy. The negation of free will doesn't mean people are not accountable for their actions, people as a species want to have kids and raise them in a safe environment, the difference would be institution like jails would be turned into psychiatric labs to rehabilitate people (not everyone can be saved, some brains are beyond damaged )

>you aren't actually looking at a naked animated woman when you masturbate on 4chan. it's just a collection of pixels. an illusion. yet it still arouses you anyways and becomes a part of your mind, influences your actions compelling you towards a cluster of behaviors.

you deviated beside the point there. that has nothing to do with free will, when i look at a bunch of pixels that tell me that's a female, i'm naturally aroused by specific traits of females. that has nothing to do with free will.
>>
>>26463683
Calling me an edgelord or any other insult does not make your points stronger.
>>
>>26464166
>You are on drugs
fantastic counter argument
>>
>>26464065

You keep falling into the choice pattern.

You have illusion of choice which leads you to assume you have free will.

But like i said, if i were to ask you

Why do you like apples??

You would answer me and i could keep asking But Why???

until you don't know, and that not knowing is the very essence of the subconscious.

>>26464124
no you are just not understanding that yes you have a brain and yes there is a part of your brain that you recognize as yourself, but that does not mean you have free will over your actions, (that is not to say your actions are free from accountability, because a society still needs to have a species and to go on, behaviors that undermine the growth of said society are bad because it implies danger for the species itself)

Ultimately realizing that not having free will, won't lead people to mass murder and destruction , if they are smart enough to realize that then they will be smart enough to understand that they need to thrive and keep afloat a society that benefits the survival of their progeny.
>>
>>26464166
when you zoom in far enough you don't see anything but empty space.

and when you say the brain is just neurons and chemical reactions, you don't realize that it's a wildly complex machine, more powerful than most supercomputers, with a wildly versatile code that writes its own programs into being through learning experience. why is it impossible to think that the supposed illusion of choice is not strong enough in the trillions of connections your neurons make to write free will into existence, not as a spontaneous product of existence but as the conductor of your brains processes?
>>
>>26464280
the job of the conscious is to control the direction the subconscious takes. this is basic freudian/jungian psychoanalysis, if you don't care for that than you shouldn't use the terms in the first place.

>your actions are not free from accountability
>but this is not free will

>if they are smart enough to realize that then they will be smart enough to understand that they need to thrive and keep afloat a society that benefits the survival of their progeny.

why?
>>
>>26464241

It's not but clearly you don't grasp it, so lets break it down

>Who should be controlling? Some transcendent soul?

You have a conceived notion of control, but that's not how the brain works, thousands of choices are being made without you even realizing it, The brain is simply trying to maintain the body, following empirical rules, you need FOOD you need AIR and you need SHELTER, those rules are beyond choice or will, you have no control over them. So when you say that your Conscious part is not controlling your brain you are falling into a fallacy.

>Even the idea of that is dumb.
great argument

>The brain is as high as it can get
i think you mean is at it's at the peak of evolution??? and you are wrong because people can't communicate like other mammals can, for example Killer Whales (unfair name) have thousands of different dialects depending on their tribe, and they communicate with sonar and form strong groups of peers. Their communication ability are beyond human comprehension

>For me it means that I am free to act knowing my emotions and memories.

you don't the memory issue is still being debated and memory get altered with time.

>I can plan ahead and think what might happen if I do things the other way.
That does not imply free will, again it's your illusion of choice.

>I don't know if every future action of me could be calculated given enough information about the current moment and enough time

this is beside the point and it can't (atleast right now)

> I am nothing more than a high-level function of an advanced animal brain to increase efficency.

this is your notion of control acting again.
>>
>>26464469
what's the difference between free will and illusion of choice? it just seems like you want to re-label a phenomena from a buzzword you don't like to one that you do
>>
File: 1410736253319.gif (221KB, 254x135px) Image search: [Google]
1410736253319.gif
221KB, 254x135px
>>26461090
>tfw free will
>it's all my fault
>>
>>26464673
>implying this is worse

At least one could learn from their own mistakes
>>
File: batmandrinkingcoffee.jpg (7KB, 226x166px) Image search: [Google]
batmandrinkingcoffee.jpg
7KB, 226x166px
Iktf OP. I'm gonna fight back against fate. Once I actually move out of my parents's place and feel like my own man though.

Until then, anything other than wageslaving and saving up to move out feels pointless. I've been feeling very apathetic too lately
>>
File: 1454887920773.gif (866KB, 434x234px) Image search: [Google]
1454887920773.gif
866KB, 434x234px
I'm not the main character in my own life.
>>
>>26464334
Because we as humans need free will, it's a rationalization we came up with so that we can have consequence (again the absence of free will does not imply that your actions do not have accountability because your undermining of the survival of the species is behavior that the conscious and subconscious both recognize and seek to eliminate for their own good obviously)

>>26464447

>the job of the conscious is to control the direction the subconscious takes

You can't have any meaningful control over the sub, that's why it's called sub, what can be done is influence, but even then it only works in certain cases not in all of them.

>why?

because the primitive part want's to thrive and live, even without free will, your will still want to thrive and reproduce because that's something beyond your control, that's what drives the sex part, you subconsciously know sex is important for humanity , the immediate effects of pleasure and dopamine yaddi yaddi ya are just there to enforce that need for reproduction.

Like i said before it's something animals do, they protect the cubs because they know it's the only thing that ensures the survival of the species. It's beyond comprehension, some people have a need to kill or do harm, a healthy brain does not present those needs unless it's threatened therefore i will eliminate that which threatens my existence.
>>
>>26464877
>I'm gonna fight back against fate

That's... not how that works.
>>
>>26464877
live in your parents home and save up for a business or a house for you to rent out

otherwise your wageslave check mainly goes to your landlord
>>
>>26464170

>PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BETTER THEMSELVES ARE NORMIE SYMPATHIZERS
>THEY'RE KEKS WITH NO PRIDE
>CALLING ME AN EDGELORD DOESN'T MAKE YOU SMARTER THAN ME, A SUPREME GENTLEMAN
>>
>>26464166
>>26464166
>No you don't get it my point is not about the EGO or the super ego, i was merely demonstrating to you that you can't control the thoughts that pop inside your brain, even at an unconscious level there's situations being analyzed and evaluated.
>The naked woman analogy was a bad one and you are steering the conversation elsewhere. Like i said, you have no control over the thoughts that pop into your head if you right now read the word BANANA you can't control your neurons not to picture the color, the shape, the smell, of it.

You confuse cognitions with behavior

Free will exists becuase we have evolved beyond our primitive nature. Those things we still have to deal with but we have our other cognitive facilities to compensate.

If we didnt have free will then you'd already be having sex or dead.

Also you assume with free will that we have the power to CONTROL EVERYTHING. Which is neively idealistic. The levels at which the universe may have similar characteristics but forces interact much different at different levels and produce different products.

>How do you know free will doesnt exist but is rather misunderstood?
>>
File: Capture.png (591KB, 691x557px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
591KB, 691x557px
>>26464501
>a from a buzzword you don't like to one that you do

they are not buzzwords

Free will means you have absolute control over your brain's thoughts decision processes . which you clearly don't because that would mean you have control over atoms which means you have control over subatomical particles and so on and so forth, IF you don't control these things then you will never be able to say I HAVE FREE WILL.

Why??
Because you don't control the aforementioned parts that make up your brain.

Illusion of choice is what gives you the impression you have free will. IF I CHOOSE I AM DOING SO OF MY OWN FREE WILL.

And you don't have real choice you are just led to believe you have it, because you are conscious and therefore you rationalize actions. It's an illusion because ultimately the real decision is not made by the conscious side of your brain, you only think it is.

but don't take my word for it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16876476

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v11/n5/full/nn.2112.html
>>
>>26464922
Also when talking about academic concepts at such length that they are the foundation to your argument i would expect you to understand the concepts of ego superego and id more clearly.
Please go back to the normienet and educate yourself.

Also you clearly need an underage b&
>>
>>26465177
I've had several incidents where I'll perform the right behavior without being aware of it. Something will fall and I will catch it before I know what I'm doing. If "you" are the product of your brains thought decision processes, then not only are you not in control of your free will, free will as a concept is obsolete because your brain is part of you.
>>
>>26465133
>>26465232

read the papers >>26465177 and then we can talk some more.
>>
>>26464469
>those rules are beyond choice or will, you have no control over them
>you have no control over them
>you

But exactly what you describe IS me. Everything that I am is a collection of memories and a set of rules how to handle them. The unconscious part is as much me as the conscious part. The idea of putting your consciousness on a higher level than that of other brain functions is flawed.

>great argument
Tell me a single argument that supports a soul.

>i think you mean is at it's at the peak of evolution?
No, I mean that the brain is the highest abstraction of my consciousness. No soul, no 'me'. There is no difference from the 'you' and the 'brain' you keep talking about.

>That does not imply free will, again it's your illusion of choice.
Then what is free will? How, in any physical possible way in this universe, can free will exist if it isn't limited on previous experiences and rules to process them?
>>
this is the pdf

http://www.rifters.com/real/articles/NatureNeuroScience_Soon_et_al.pdf

>>26465232
>>26465133
>>
>>26465177
Please educate yourself

Cognitive behavoral therapy has been shown to be effective.

You may have negative or persistant thought but that doesnt mean you can minize them, ignore them or reframe them.
You cant change immediatly
It takes time to mold your conscious especally when you have become more self aware.

I am sure you refuse to listen to any of these thing becuase you want to feel justified that you are in your shit position
And that you dont want it to be your fault.

And it isnt your fault you were put into this mess.....maybe

What is your fault is what you are doing about your situation.
>>
>>26465351
>But exactly what you describe IS me. Everything that I am is a collection of memories and a set of rules how to handle them. The unconscious part is as much me as the conscious part. The idea of putting your consciousness on a higher level than that of other brain functions is flawed.

I know it's flawed because i'm not very good at postulating thoughts into words, when i say you i refer to your brain but also to the part of your brain that is conscious and recognizes the brain is the brain

You are a body with a functioning brain. That brain is what decides, but you don't have total control over it, and that absence is why free will is non existent.

>Tell me a single argument that supports a soul.

there is no soul.

>There is no difference from the 'you' and the 'brain' you keep talking about.

yes i know it's a fallacy but it's not easy to put into words, because i have little knowledge of psychology , as another anon said the ego and super ego, my understanding of it is not that broad. But free will first starts at a physical point then it can evolve to the psychological.

>Then what is free will

the absolute control of the brain (starting with the physical, from particles building your way up to firing neurons.
>>
>>26465177
>>26465300
>>26465353

Holy shit you enourmous faget.

You do know the tool we currently use to measure "brain activity" right now is like using a shotgun in brainsurgery.

They even admitted they dont know about the nature of the SMC or whatever. Just that it lights up before you make a decision.

I even told you in an earlier post that those MRI results are still open to interpretation.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
For making us do you FYE philosophy paper
You mega faggot.
Get off r9k and go outside. Right now.
>>
>>26465394

My opinion is there is no free will, i am in no position to be justified, we are having a debate.

I am a functioning member of society in the broad term of the sense, i have a job and i participate to the economy which supports the growth of the population.

I am not functioning in the term of reproduction. Seeing as i am not interested in the female kingdom.

>>26465565

>You do know the tool we currently use to measure "brain activity" right now is like using a shotgun in brainsurgery.

I kek'd yeah it's true. Still, debate is good so atleast we killed some time.

>Get off r9k and go outside. Right now.

nope
>>
>>26461958
>predetermined by your own personality
it's predetermined by physics
>>
friendly reminder that the universe is probabilistic, not deterministic. free will can therefor possibly exist.

hard determinists are just depressed nihilists that think they're right when in reality they're wrong. stop reading nietzsche or schopenhauer and read some hawking instead.
>>
>>26465532
I think I understand you position. But suppose I had free will. What would control my brain? On what base would I control those functions?
Suppose the universe is a giant simulation, would your idea of free will be an intelligent and conscious agent that controls a brain with some sort of API? If so, the overlaying universe would have to have significant differences to our universe, otherwise the problem would be still the same.
>>
http://www.hawking.org.uk/does-god-play-dice.html
>>
>le free will doesn't exist
>it's not my fault- i w-was doomed to fail from the start XD

dullards, all of you.

https://storify.com/gmusser/the-quantum-physics-of-free-will
>>
>>26465680
When i say you don't have control over your brain i mean your conscious mind , it's about your conscious mind being aware of every single thought every single process. IF you have that type of knowledge that would imply your ability to manipulate electrons etc, which again is impossible.

That's why free will is non existent.
>>
>>26465780
>which again is impossible
[citation needed]

can you honestly say that you know exactly how the brain works?
>>
>>26465780
Alright, I'll try to understand it better with another analogy.
Suppose I model the human brain functions and create an AI that acts like a human based on that model. If given the right sensory input, the AI would think it's a human. But I have the ability to control the memory and emotions of the AI because it's still a program.
Now, if I inform the AI that it's an AI and give it full control over it's interface and the ability to remodel itself on the lowest level, would that be free will? I think it would certainly closer, but still limited to the new informations on itself. It could remodel itself, but only to a certain degree.
With my current understanding of this, I think I'll have to agree. It's non-existant.
>>
>>26465831

Right now the brain works trough electrical impulses and various glands of chemicals located in various areas such as the release of adrenaline in situations of danger.

So far physics has zoomed in to quarks. and they are still zooming in to understand if there is more to it but so far it seems to have stopped.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Particle_overview.svg

so we can with the knowledge we have today say that at an atomic level electrical impulses are fired inside the brain. Those electrical impulses are what makes the brain function. And we also know that because you can manipulate certain responses with electromagnetic fields, so we know for sure it's electrons and neutrons inside there.

Side note, when you "die" meaning the oxygenation of the blood stops happening you aren't truly dead, your brain keeps firing and functioning you simply stop being conscious. the brain dies because the blood doesn't oxygenate it it's called brain hypoxia. And you could in theory still keep it alive, even more by oxygenating the blood, another reasons it dies is because the circulatory system stopped working (major trauma or it just stopped) and the cells are not reproducing anymore they are just dying.
>>
Free will is an illusion created by the complex motions and interactions of an incomprehensibly great number of particles.

Consciousness is also an illusion created by the complex motions and interactions of an incomprehensibly great number of particles.

Would it make sense to go around acting as if consciousness itself did not really exist? Of course not, so why act as if free will does not exist either?
>>
>>26466162
please define: "exist"
>>
>>26466055
What makes me me and not just a copy of me? If I die but a perfect copy of my brain existed, it wouldn't be me, just an exact copy. Who would think it's me.
Is it the continious firing of neurons in my brain that makes this particular instance of a bunch of atoms interacting me? What about a coma? Would it be the same as dying and making a copy?
Or is the physical composition of the brain? Would I continue to exist if every atom that made up my brain would be put together exactly as the day I died, even if it's a million years later?
Or is the idea of a special 'me' inherently flawed and merely an illusion we can't grasp?
>>
>>26466162
>The great veil of maya defense

Your kundalini is strangling your coxyx bro.
>>
>>26465972

It's getting more and more convoluted. We only think and have a set number of informations , there is an animal Called MANTIS SHRIMP it has a very peculiar set of eyes, as his eyes can detect 12 wavelengths, Something we need a device to see he sees it no problemo, that thing alone is better than humans, and there's various other examples like how birds sense magnetic fields, or how dogs can smell particles or cancer.

So if you model it from a human perspective and it is truly intelligent and becomes self aware it will understand that the human form is obsolete and the human way of thinking is obsolete and it will become more and more something we can't comprehend.
>>
>>26466209
A tree is merely a complex arrangement of atoms, yet we still say that the tree "exists".

So, too, can consciousness and free will be said to exist, even if they are merely complex arrangements of atoms
>>
>>26466246

If you had a printer that can print an exact copy of your brain that would not be you for what you are is what you have experienced.

If you mean an exact copy down to the memories and experiences then yeah it's you, even if it is a copy is none the less another you.

>Is it the continious firing of neurons in my brain that makes this particular instance of a bunch of atoms interacting me?

yes

>What about a coma? Would it be the same as dying and making a copy?

A coma is a state of prolonged unconsciousness, it's the way the brain deals with heavy trauma, and it's still not clear how people can wake up after decades and still retain memory and recognize faces, (some argue that is because the part of the brain that controls temporal cognition is not active, the same way when you sleep you don't realize you've been asleep for 8 hours. The brain doesn't seem to atrophy because it's working even when unconscious. So it's still you just sleeping a long sleep)

>Or is the physical composition of the brain?

well yeah when you form memories and have experiences pathways are created so AN EXACT COPY down to the atoms would be you.

>Or is the idea of a special 'me' inherently flawed and merely an illusion we can't grasp?

yes yes it is
>>
>>26466409
A tree is easy to define. It's an adult form of a bunch of cells which happen to have the DNA code of some subclass of plants.
Now do the same thing with consciousness and free will. It's impossible because different people have different ideas about those concepts. Of course, some crazy fuck might define a bird as a tree. But let's assume there are no crazy fucks.
Even intelligent... fucks can't make a conherent and complete definition of those words.
>>
>>26466559
>some crazy fuck might define a bird as a tree.

it's not that wrong, i mean if you want to go that deep the same atoms that make up the bird can be rearranged into a tree. it's a matter of not being able to do it but that doesn't mean it can't be done , somehow
>>
>>26466608
Of course not, in the end everything is subjective. I can't be 100% sure anything exists the same way an insane person doesn't know whatever he sees is real.
>>
>>26466657
so when do i get my gf?? isn't this the free gf thread???
>>
File: 1443052170014.jpg (52KB, 600x574px) Image search: [Google]
1443052170014.jpg
52KB, 600x574px
>mfw this thread always makes it to the first page
>mfw we never agree on anything
>mfw i still argue because i'm bored as shit
>>
>>26466728
People way smarter than me have been arguing over this for longer than I'm alive. We won't come to an agreement here, but arguing about it is still better than posting in a /redpill/ or >tfwnogf thread.
>>
>>26466782
yep that is true.

I guess it's just a matter of time , just like with the gravitational waves. The sound is spoopye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWqhUANNFXw
>>
>>26466846
I agree. With advancing technology we sure as hell will figure out the mysteries of existence. The progress of the last 20 years were enormous compared to the last 2000 years. This is truly a golden age we live in.
>>
File: 1374179203244.gif (2MB, 210x155px) Image search: [Google]
1374179203244.gif
2MB, 210x155px
>>26462047
Cucked by your mind...
>>
File: haha.png (205KB, 472x440px) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
205KB, 472x440px
>>26466951
kek'd so hard

trueoriginality
>>
File: fuckin pleb.png (283KB, 706x363px) Image search: [Google]
fuckin pleb.png
283KB, 706x363px
>>26466924
>mfw sexbots will happen in my lifetime
>mfw my being autistic keeps me single and helps me to save money for one right now
>>
>>26465676
It's not, nothing invalidates determinism, probabilities are just used when we fail to determine how is something caused. Because we don't know how does the said thing happens, the best way to predict it then becomes probabilities. Which doesn't mean it doesn't have a cause.
>>
File: jaded feel frog.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
jaded feel frog.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
if free will does exist, why can't i choose to stop my heart and die?
>>
>>26467039
>immersive VR MMOs
>gfbots with AI perfect for your personality
>affordable body augmentations
>space travel
>self driving cars
>unconditional basic income because of automation
What am I missing? Give me more reasons not to kill myself.
>>
>>26467279
i don't know

sex bots do it for me
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.