[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Navy/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

File: images.jpg (5KB, 142x90px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 142x90px
Any veteran sailors out there? Any current sailors? Future sailors?

How you doin'.
>>
File: 1444253129526.gif (164KB, 494x332px) Image search: [Google]
1444253129526.gif
164KB, 494x332px
>>26458219
Thinking of joining here.

What's your job there man?
>>
File: 1101540111_400.jpg (43KB, 400x527px) Image search: [Google]
1101540111_400.jpg
43KB, 400x527px
>>26458270
I was a nuke (pic related) but now I am an ITS. I cannot answer any questions related to actual life on a submarine, cruiser, destroyer, little boy, etc. but I can offer insight on rates, boot camp, training commands, and how to prepare for the bullshit you will experience on the daily.
>>
File: 1451474151078.jpg (79KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1451474151078.jpg
79KB, 1024x768px
>>26458332
What are the requirements to be a nuclear submarine crewman?

Besides having a high school diploma and passing boot camp obviously.
>>
>>26458219
Bump
Please do tell about your life Anon.
>>
>>26458419
Okay, I will try to break down a lot of shit.

>Sub-Volunteer or Surface
When you are in DEP (The process before shipping off to bootcamp and starting your naval career) they examine you medically and ask you a bunch of questions pertaining to your health. Not only are they looking to see that you are fit for the Navy, but that you are also fit for certain special programs, like the sub-force. Or specwar. Whatever. I signed my nuke contract March of last year. I had this form thrown out in front of me asking me if I wanted to volunteer for subs, and I signed it. If you are not a sub volunteer, you will most likely be put on a carrier.

>Requirements
Honestly, the requirements to get in the nuke program are not very high. The attrition rate is something like %50 when you look through the entire program. If you had gotten D's or below in certain math classes, you will have to get waivers explaining why you did poorly in those classes. You do not have to pass the depth perception test to be a nuke, but you do have to pass the color distinguishing test.
>>
>>26458419
>>26458583

Continuing on before, honestly the most important factor that makes someone get into the nuke program is the ASVAB score. I did not do to well during highschool (Average grades, one failed class, and I took like five AP courses) but I made it in because I had an ASVAB score of 95, which is based on a percentile. I have seen one person make it in with a seventy something, which is pretty good, but rare. That is sort of low for nuke.

All nukes go through the same training, regardless of whether or not you are surface or sub. The only difference in training between nukes are the three different rates: MM, EM, and ET. Machinist's Mate, Electrician's Mate (What I was), and Electronics Technician.

MM's have the shortest training period, still very long though overall. It is an extremely hard program, and many people successfully and not so successfully commit suicide while here. It is not a good command, they treat you like shit, and I happy that I am leaving. But if you are interested into entering a field of which you could potentially earn 120k a year and you believe you are smart enough/can handle immense levels of stress that could kill a lesser person, go for it.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (7KB, 240x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
7KB, 240x168px
>>26458453
this is all my life is and has been
>>
File: 1451703923041.jpg (100KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1451703923041.jpg
100KB, 600x800px
>>26458665
Thanks a lot, this is some really useful info.

Could you tell me a little more about the contents of the ASVAB though. What should I expect?
>>
I'm employed at a shipyard and I work pretty closely with the crew.

I feel bad for the robots who are enlisted since they get ragged on 24/7 by both the crew and civilian workforce. Seems like the force is split about 50/40/10 respectively between douchebags who never grew up after high school, all around decent guys, and total losers.

I have a lot of respect for the military. But if you're a robot and you think you're gonna join and get whipped into shape, it probably isn't gonna happen. You'll just become the butt of every single joke.
>>
>>26458665
I have slight red/green color blindness. I can still tell the difference between solid red and green colors but it takes some effort to make out the images on the color blindness tests.
Would you say that I still have a chance?
>>
File: 1454966476667.jpg (17KB, 420x470px) Image search: [Google]
1454966476667.jpg
17KB, 420x470px
>>26458784
Maybe. Hard to say. Maybe you will do well on it, maybe you won't. Maybe the people there will waive you through because nukes are worth millions and you are just to valuable to give up. The latter happens a lot. I cannot tell you how many times shipmates have told me that their recruiters overlooked failed drug tests/medical issues/tickets/medical conditions etc.

I think you should be fine.
>>
>>26458783
I have seen some success stories. But yeah. I knew a lot of robot-esque people at NNPTC, where the majority of autists and aspies go to in the Navy. It is incredible that they even succeed in that environment.
>>
>>26458858
Thanks Anon!
Non serious question but what's the food like on subs?
Also any memorable stories?
>>
>>26458332
bump
>drop the knowledge you can friendo
>>
>>26458332
Do they give each sea faring vessel a theme song?

If you could give your vessel a theme song what would it be?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.