[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fembot that's just been invited to take a bachelors

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: 1445878628754.jpg (83KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1445878628754.jpg
83KB, 1520x1080px
>fembot that's just been invited to take a bachelors in compsci at a highly prestigious university with extremely low acceptance rates

Are there any girls here involved in a STEM field, in particular computer science?

What has your experience been like?
>>
I didn't get accepted to my state uni
>>
Not a female but my oneiitis has a master's degree in biology. She's gotten a lot of harassment on campus by fratbro douchebags, not really in class though.
>>
>>26450089
well, it's more specific than "biology", but yeah
>>
>>26449587
>a highly prestigious university
Which?
>>
I'm in chemistry. It feels a little daunting being in such a severe gender minority. I also get shit for it on a regular basis.
>>
>>26450240
Keeps you strong, nigga.

>Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus
>A wound makes spirits swell and virtues flourish.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
>>
>>26450427
meanwhile in reality: bullying makes people dysfunctional
>>
The reason why women need to be "invited" into STEM fields is because women are, by nature, psychologically and mentally inferior to men.

There are very few women that can compete with men in fields like pure mathematics, electrical engineering or chemistry.

All the feminist professors know this. That's why they only extend invitations to female students to do computer science.

Out of all the STEM fields, compsci requires the least creativity, abstract thinking, technical knowledge, mental fortitude and is already swamped by countless slackers too simple to take a real engineering course.

Compsi doesn't go beyond coding (a skill so basic, it is outsourced like crazy), "discrete structures" (which, in the past, was called "discrete math", until it was changed when everyone realized the ridiculousness of calling it math), basic linear algebra and pre-calc, and maybe a bit of business.

I can see why feminists are focusing on compsci to flood with female undergraduates. The degree itself is useless outside of the purpose of making women look good.
>>
>>26449587
>fembot
Good joke
>>
>>26450240
>I also get shit for it on a regular basis.
I always see stuff like this mentioned but haven't seen this irl yet. Can you give an example?
>>
>>26450491
(broni friendzoni, 2016, p12, shit I pulled out of my ass, 2nd edition, /r9k/, 4chan)
>>
>>26450491
>Compsi doesn't go beyond coding
Maybe at whatever joke of a school you went to.

>>26450546
The girls in my CS classes always got tons of unwanted and awkward weeb attention.
>>
>>26450491
>Compsi doesn't go beyond coding

Minority grill here. Can you provide any sources that can teach me to code? I'd like to learn something useful while I'm jobless. What can I do so that I have something to "show" to employers if I ever become so bold?
>>
File: 1268712373723.png (271KB, 461x373px) Image search: [Google]
1268712373723.png
271KB, 461x373px
>>26449587
SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD SAGE THIS GAY THREAD
>>
>>26450606
Contribution to opensource projects might help with getting a job, or so I heard.
>>
File: 357537537536.jpg (51KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
357537537536.jpg
51KB, 400x579px
>>26450606

you can start by reading le meme wizard book and going from their
>>
>>26450546
Not her, but in my experience:

Having minor fuckups blamed on your gender instead of personal ability like it would be for a man in the same situation
Having your body commented on at completely irrelevant and unprofessional moments
Being stalked/followed, having strangers shout at you about your body
Actually got drugged once, wasn't raped or anything but it was very clear who did it, and everyone's response was just "He's a nice guy. he wouldn't do that" despite having given me said drink and repeatedly saying to my friends he wanted to take me home in his van when I said I wasn't feeling right
Being made the butt of jokes in front of everybody for your gender, making it clear you're a woman and not an equal peer, and being told it's all jokes and you're a radical lesbian SJW just for complaining about it
Generally having your sexuality questioned because of trivial shit and not having a boyfriend (guys often get this too, still not acceptable)
>>
>>26450606
You'll find tons of free sources for that kind of thing on google. I can't recommend any of them over any of the others, but as long as you're getting your hands dirty and learning something, it shouldn't really matter which you pick.

As for what you'd have to show somebody, it's a bit trickier. Sure, you could contribute to open source projects, but that might not be a beginner thing. Get a decent grasp of the basics, try some sample challenges from the internet. You can put things on github and list your account on your resume for employers to look up if they so desire. If you apply for a job with programming they'll ask you a bunch of technical questions during the interview anyways.
>>
>>26450757
People assuming you only got the job to fill a diversity quota.
>>
>>26450757
Thanks. Can't say I've seen much of that, but there are so few girls in my classes that I barely even see them. Probably less than 5%.
>>
>>26450757
>half of those complaints are from getting attention
but you wouldnt say shit if chad did it, right?
>>
>>26450606
Plenty of online courses from places like Udacity and Coursera to learn programming from.
>>
Just do it.

Some guys will be like "WOW NERD GIRL" which ranges from obnoxious but not harmful to advantageous.

Other guys will be like "GROSS NERD GIRL" but those men just generally don't respect women.

And it's good for your personal brand to be in a field where you're unique. Being a woman makes you memorable to interviewers and a lot of them try to make more balanced hiring. My field has maybe less than 10% women and women never apply for our openings, so a competent female candidate is basically locked. Maybe at first men will think, "she got hired because she's a woman" but you can prove that wrong.

tl;dr being a woman in stem is cash
>>
>>26450923
>>26450657
>>26450796
Looking at Codeacademy currently, I'll keep other sites in mind. I didn't think there'd be so many free sources. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>26451031
Library Genesis also has most (?) of the well known books.
>>
>>26450491
>Compsi doesn't go beyond coding (a skill so basic, it is outsourced like crazy), "discrete structures" (which, in the past, was called "discrete math", until it was changed when everyone realized the ridiculousness of calling it math), basic linear algebra and pre-calc, and maybe a bit of business.

You aren't actually in any STEM field yourself, that's very obvious. Nobody could be in STEM and still be so ignorant.
>>
>>26451031
Udacity and Coursera are more closer to traditional classes. This is just a recent boom in online education that started about 4 years ago.
>>
>>26451228
Nice, thanks.

Question: What programming language should I be learning first? If anyone minds going on codeacademy to make a suggestion, I'm all ears.
>>
>>26451369
Learn C and then learn C++.
>>
>>26451326
you aren't actually in any STEM field yourself if you're still surprised by how ignorant STEM students can be
>>
>>26451369
I like C and C++ more, but it feels like a sea of java in the job market these days.
>>
>>26451460
java is trivial to pick up after C++ but learning C++ first won't make you want to kill yourself (as much)
>>
>>26451382
>>26451460
I'm still looking around for C/C++ courses, and you're right, Java seems to be the go-to.
>>
>>26451369
I started with C. It was fine, I guess. I heard Python is alright, too.
>>
>>26451487
The problem with learning java first is that you are very likely to pick up extremely toxic programming practices from the braindead java community.

This is an example of java

http://docs.spring.io/spring-framework/docs/2.5.x/api/org/springframework/aop/framework/AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean.html

If you go the C first route you will learn to be pragmatic and concise and then when you pick up C++ you will be exposed to the tools you need to write large and complicated programs and you will understand how these tools are implemented having already looked at C. I actually wish I had been taught this way at university. They started us off with java.
>>
>>26451515
>>26451571
Consider me convinced, though I bet it's really hard lol still looking around for a free, user-friendly course atm
>>
>>26451645
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=kernighan+c
>>
>>26451689
K&R is a user manual for FORTRAN and Pascal programmers.
>>
>>26451645
You should probably take a look at some CS degree course listings later - to see what people learn there, besides coding.
>>
>>26450905
"Chads" are the kind of guys who do 90% of the rapey shit on campus. It's not friendly attention, it has a clear ulterior motive and often comes with the threat of aggression at if you ignore or reject somebody. I don't want a relationship with anybody at this point in my life and I've made that pretty clear. Just because you're starved for attention doesn't mean all forms of it are positive you desperate fuck.
>>
>>26451785
I probably shouldn't recommend stuff... is there something like the C++ list of books for C?
>>
>>26451689
Received. Trying to get it open. I found a different book in the mean time if I can't get to it. Wish me luck friendos.
>>
>>26451790
Great idea :D this is exciting
>>
>>26450828
Because they're sexist and don't believe a woman can perform at a man's level, duh. It's not even a job, it's college. Affirmative action isn't mandatory unless you do business with the federal government anyway, most programs are voluntary and apply when there are two roughly equal applicants and an existing disparity among employees. Hiring a less qualified woman over a more qualified man is still illegal.
>>
This thread is confusing the fuck out of me.
OP, can I ask you a question?
>>
>>26451854
The file format is on the right. Find the pdf, or if you want to use an eink device, epub or mobi.
>>
File: 1432841575850.jpg (72KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
1432841575850.jpg
72KB, 400x579px
>>26451645
>>26451790
I would recommend >>26450701 if you want a general taste of various topics in computer science. It not something to read if all you care about is learning practical programming to get a job, but if you want a deeper understanding of computers. It basically starts by teaching you simple concepts like how a program is evaluated and then builds on top of it, sometimes even invalidating prior concepts and introducing new ones and explaining why the previous one did not work.
>>
>>26451907
Oh. Duh.

What do you think of this statement?

"Finally, don't forget that I have Learn Python The Hard Way which you should read if you can't code yet. LCTHW will NOT be for beginners, but for people who have at least read LPTHW or know one other programming language."
>>
>>26449587
congrats
i am totally a piece of shit by comparison
i got all the robot flaws
no gifts

>>26450089
they harass uggo chicks too now?
I thought htey just laughed at/ignored betas and did hot chicks.

>>26450491
...... no they're not. god .... this is ridiculous.

>>26451326
comp sci is stem. so is IT. you're splitting hairs....
>>
>>26451847
I dunno, I've heard 21st Century C is good but I haven't read. Personally, I went to C from C++ and learned it through practice and documentation, so I'm not the right person to ask either.
>>
>>26451029
So what you're saying is, being a woman will make it easier to get hired, but it won't be the case that you were hired because you're a woman. I mean, yes my understanding is that women are disproportionately hired into STEM positions because of all the white knights, but that's nothing to be proud of.
>>
>>26451920
Ah see...all I saw was "le meme wizard" and I thought he was messing around. But yeah, something like that would have to come later.
>>
>>26450546
As an example, just this last week I was in the lab and they knowingly locked me inside and left (they said "Bye!" and were laughing on the other side of the door as I tried to get out). I was stuck in there till the next morning when one of the professors came by opening the labs. I would have called the school to ask for help but they have signal blocking in the building.
>>
>>26449587
How does it feel knowing you got accepted solely because you have a vagina?
>>
>>26451790
This is what I meant: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/
It seems they have video of the lectures on there (at least the ones I checked).
>>
File: 1441904861342.jpg (481KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1441904861342.jpg
481KB, 1920x1080px
>>26451940
Learn C the hard way isn't going to explain basic programming concepts.

>>26451990
I've actually bought the book and read through it. It was actually pretty enjoyable if your goals is to understand more. The book covers how to implement higher level features as a way to help understand how they work. It even goes into writing an interpreter and compiler for the programming language the book is written in.
>>
>>26451877
No, no you can't.
>>
What the fuck good is a CS degree in the kitchen?
Are you programming a cooking bot?
>>
>>26452058
Think I'm going to just start with Python since it's available on courseacademy, then get into the C materials anons have suggested. Super tired now though, thanks friends and g'night
>>
I hope you're good at math, OP.
>>
>>26452152
Good luck.

>>26452196
>I hope you're good at math, OP.
math meemee, please
>>
>>26452005
how does it feel knowing 99% of people (including you) will never truly contribute anything to science, that most people who do a thesis these days will be handed their doctorate for almost any bullshit because they paid for it and that most people when faced with the prospect of years of doing real science will very quickly give up and just coast along getting grants wherever they can or end up taking a teaching position?
>>
Garbage humblebrag thread from some cunt. Fuck off back to instashit you dumbfuck slore.

Is this seriously /r9k/ in 2016? Pathetic.
>>
>>26449587
OP here. I know you all thought I was talking about people born girls but I'm really talking about transexuals who are also girls.
>>
>>26452256
your butt is in absolute agony
>>
>>26452278

Hurr durr u mad xD, yeah I'm pretty fucking sad that a once good board has turned into some kind of shitty femicunt watering hole

Moot can suck my nigger dick in hell
>>
>>26452242
Or shill themselves out to some giant corporation.
The fact is, working in labs looking for scientific breakthroughs doesn't churn out much money, unless you find something that can be used to turn a profit.
>>
not today roasties
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>using the image of our prophet in a "fembot" thread
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.