[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did anyone going to college/University decide on their major?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1454962298108.gif (1MB, 303x307px) Image search: [Google]
1454962298108.gif
1MB, 303x307px
How did anyone going to college/University decide on their major?
>>
>>26430617
>what did you enjoy doing in highschool?
>what did you enjoy doing in your free time?
>>
File: 1363693510379.jpg (122KB, 580x700px) Image search: [Google]
1363693510379.jpg
122KB, 580x700px
>>26430632
Nothing, obviously.

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>26430656
You dont have that much of a choice anyway.

Anything that isnt STEM or at least buisness related is useless as fuck and youll end up with a McJob and enough debt to live in a trailer park for the next 50 years
>>
>>26430632
Seeking the divine wherever I could

Guess I can become a Catholic priest?
>>
>>26430656
awesome

are you really smart/hard working? do med
are you kinda smart? do STEM
are you a bit smart? do finance/business
are you dumb? do some junk commerce
are you nearly retarded? do arts
>>
>>26430632
Playing video games and being on the Internet for both.
>>
Just be yourself.
Be original like this comment.
>>
File: 1426742483722.jpg (34KB, 599x548px) Image search: [Google]
1426742483722.jpg
34KB, 599x548px
By living in a country with free education and you have to go where you get in since everyone else tries to get in too.

I mean it is not like I ain't very interested about bio fucking chemistry. Not at all.
>>
>>26430725
I'd rather save my money and get a real education instead of trading gallons of my blood in exchange for access to a super secret accredited trade organization
>>
>>26430632
It seems that for a majority of people, these two questions just click and somehow they manage to find something they enjoy that can be translated into an applicable career. I really don't understand a lot of the things people find interesting. I know people who are majoring in subjects ranging from Geology to Hospitality Management and I just cannot grasp how they find that interesting.

As for me, I am still uncertain in my sophomore year of college. I was originally going for some type of Business major as I felt that it was easy and could be applied to many things in the job market. Just taking a few courses such as the introductory Accounting and Economics classes showed me how disinterested I was in Business as a whole. Right now I am a Computer Science major but I have no background in programming (which struck the adviser as slightly odd). I am doing it only because I feel like with gaming being my only real hobby besides watching television and surfing the web, I can do something with that in terms of gaming. I also have a fantasy where I build the next big app, sell it to a corporation for a few billion and never work again. With the amount of work ethic I have, that will remain a fantasy.

I am doubting my ability to exceed in Computer Science already as I am struggling with my online Math 127 class which is a prerequisite for the major, so it can be seen as the basics before you even delve into anything serious. Basically, I am just full of anxiety. With my major switch from Business to CS, I also have to retake science classes because for some reason CS will accept Geology but not Geography (which is what I took). I also still have to take COM 101 which I thought I could skip as a CS major. I fucking hate my life.
>>
>>26430814
sorry your country does not have free / subsidized higher education, maybe you should get involved in a trade?

>>26430815
It doesn't sound like you're cut out for compsci, but have you considered the related bcom fields? information systems etc? they'll set you up for a good middle management job in an It department.

IT is an amazing, well paid and diverse field to get into, just because you're not going to be the next rock star developer doesn't mean you can't make a good living.
>>
>>26430900
No, I've never considered it. There is really nothing out there that interests me. I've sat down with an academic adviser in the past and we went through all the available majors to see what I was interested in. By the end of it, the only things I didn't cross off were Business (Finance) and Computer Science, but as you can see, that's not going too well. As much as I hated high school, I would go back to it in a heartbeat. Going to class for about three hours a day with no real homework and spending the rest of my day playing videogames was the best during junior and senior year. Now I work ~20 hours a week, go to school from 8:30-3:45 two days a week plus a 2-3 hour lab on Mondays, and I always have a fuckton of homework and anxiety/stress.
>>
>>26430617
in highschool mostly i loved learning/studying science. then i went to university and took general science courses. from there, i found out about more specific fields in science which led me to choose my major.
but it's not that easy for me though, i needed to think about the jobs/career that i would have after graduating and if i would be willing to do it for the rest of my life.
>>
File: 28301 (1).jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
28301 (1).jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>>26430617
Based on my interests. I want to become a research scientist
>>
>>26431000
nice trips

yeah anon, unfortunately real life is hard. the vast majority of people work jobs they have no interest in, and those who don't, have a work ethic and drive that you'll never be able to meet.

i know people will say do what you find interesting/fun and follow your dreams etc, but that isn't realistic anymore.

do a degree you find easy, but lots of other people find hard.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.