[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my struggle with reading

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1453181200064.png (93KB, 480x430px) Image search: [Google]
1453181200064.png
93KB, 480x430px
t whenever i read a book i always get this impression: the author could have made their point in like only a few pages and it would be just as insightful.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
>>
Yup

Reading is stupid
>>
>>26425405
sometimes it helps to have the context of the story
read "the stranger"
>>
>>26425405

nigger that's exactly how i write all my stories i get to the point straight away

i guess no one would pay 20 dallahs for 20 pages tho
>>
>>26425405
I must have started 1000 books and finished 50.

There's nothing wrong with most of them, I just put them down and never pick them up again.

Makes me feel dumb tbhfam
>>
>>26425405

No you're just autistic and impatient, I can tell by your inability to type legible too. This is what happens when you get used to getting instant gratification from entertainment on screens.
>>
>>26425405
I don't know. There are some authors that can fiddle with words pretty well.

Don't ever believe the "reading is good!" meme. The fags that tell you that are fucking idiots with shit taste in books.
>>
>>26425405
Stories about the journey, not the destination
>>
>>26425405

I like reading. I don't understand the books that get acclaim however. If you go on /lit/ for instance they love books like Infinite Jest, Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, but when I try to read these things it just feels like a bunch of incoherent nonsense. It's like the harder a book is to parse, the more acclaim it gets. Maybe I'm just a pleb but it seems like a gross use of language in my opinion.
>>
No. Art takes time. Read better books.
>>
File: 1444943468859.png (36KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
1444943468859.png
36KB, 420x294px
buncha faggy philistines in here
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (260KB, 385x640px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
260KB, 385x640px
You're either unintelligent (the most likely case from the way you type) or you're reading shit litearture. Read pic related. Saint-Exupery never just "gets to the point", but rather paints the most beautiful autobiographical narrative you will ever read. You see the world through his eyes as you read this book, and if you are not uplifted, spiritually moved, or energized by reading this book---then something is wrong with you.

This book will change your life. Read it.
>>
A novel in six words:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn

There you go OP, the most famous example of a short "novel". Hope you enjoy it.
>>
File: Newest Cover.jpg (687KB, 1525x2511px) Image search: [Google]
Newest Cover.jpg
687KB, 1525x2511px
>>26425405

It should be on all torrent sites

Audiobook for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RAty_wqANo&index=2&list=PLkYQNnrWrpad7FF5B1NXR3BsjfaWrnjWy
>>
>>26425554
I was going to say exactly this. Though conciseness is important, too.
>>
>>26425405
I thought I was the only one to think this. I can understand fiction, where it's meant for pure entertainment, but if you're trying to get a point across just fucking say it. Books are usually very inefficient.
>>
>>26425405
I don't think you'd arrive at, more or less, the same conclusion as the author would've liked if you skip on the details.

Books, especially fiction, isn't just for getting insights from. I think it's wrong for you to expect that an artistic medium being entirely utilitarian in its purpose. If you wanted insights straight away, you should've picked up essays instead.
>>
>>26425405
College textbooks are bad about this; It's like 90% padding and 10% useful information. For a novel, though, all those details help build a better picture of the world.
>>
>>26425405
the thing is that this is the case with most authors
some guys have interesting prose styles but they are the exception and not the rule
most of them can just fuck off
>>
>>26425450
i get it. he is numb and a stranger to all things that happen.
>>
>>26427494
Clearly you don't get it if that's your "summary"
>>
>>26428191
Not him but The Stranger is not especially complex. Plus, it's only somewhere around 120 pages long
>>
File: 1382694911661.jpg (27KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
1382694911661.jpg
27KB, 500x377px
>>26428918
Not either of them and I agree with you, but the point of it was not about him being dumb and the rest. It's just a simple existentialist work that's well executed.

I think that's why the guy even mentioned it. It has a clear point and it's short.
>>
>>26425405
>the author could have made their point in like only a few pages
Then it wouldn't be called art, faggot.

You read books knowing it's artsy.
>>
>>26425405
don't read fiction it's a waste of time
>>
>>26425596
No, i agree with you. Those lit nerds feel smart that they "get" it. But they dont really understand, they just read some critique
>>
>>26425405
it happens. people sell books, not ideas. if you're lucky you might find some conscientious authors who name-drop interesting authors, musicians, philosophers, etc...
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.