[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wagekeks i'm working a retail job i don't hate but

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1243143.png (411KB, 795x538px) Image search: [Google]
1243143.png
411KB, 795x538px
wagekeks i'm working a retail job i don't hate but the hours are horribly inconsistent because management is so disorganized so i'm looking for new work. where do you work, how much do you hate it, and would you recommend it?
>>
I fix phones at a shop, love it, I can tell fuck faces to go fuck themselves, fix computers and TVs as well. It's easy shit, any fucktard with a double ought screwdriver and a pentalobe screw driver can fix a phone. If you aren't a fucktard and learn to think for yourself and to research problems, you won't have any trouble. I'm the oldest of my coworkers at 22, so I am more than willing to do the dirty work of dealing with negative customer interaction, though it rarely comes up thanks to a policy of always being honest and open with folks. I make great money, I'm about to have enough to put a deposit down on a newer, bigger apartment than the studio I'm in now, and I've also gotten a ring for my girlfriend, with intention that she'll become my fiancee.
>>
I work as a prep cook at a brewery. It's ok, I guess. I don't have to get up very early and I usually get to leave early. I don't particularly enjoy the work, it's very easy but gets very mind-numbing and boring, plus the stress of fulfilling orders when the lunch and dinner rush happens. It's definitely not a career, but it sure as fuck beats retail. If i were you i'd become a server, they make tons compared to some fast food job or retail, without anyone telling them what to do. it's literally just taking down orders, inputting them into the machine, taking the food to the people, and then taking the dirty plates back to the dishwasher.
>>
If that's all you can get, it's probably better to live on benefits.
>>
>>26408020
Do you live in a big city?
I'm thinking of doing this too and there's no real competition in my area but the population is pretty low. How many customers do you get?
>>
Depends on where you live. Where do you live OP?
>>
>>26408135
I'm still in school, so hopefully I won't be doing this forever.

>>26408156
USA AZ, to be specific
>>
>>26407188
Are you that one faggot who gets shit on by his manager?
>>
>>26408151
Yeah, it's decent sized, population of 2.4 million over the entire metro area. We have lots of competition, 3 other shops within a mile radius, but we do the best work, so we are thriving.

It's currently just finishing the slow season, so it's picking up. In slow season, there was a day with no customers. On a busy day, we do 1500 in sales, usually the majority are iPhone repairs, say 1000. Of those repairs, we charge ~150 for a screen, part is like 90 bucks, so we get 60 dollars on labor. So 600 dollars profit. One week of 1000 dollar days pays our rent, next week pays for parts, week after that pays utilities and paychecks, and last week in a month is profit and is saved and possibly reinvested as new tools, nicer tools, or new ways to repair things, for example we have been eyeing a Fluke multimeter.

On a good day, we get 10 devices for repair, with 10 more people getting estimates. We don't charge for diagnostics, which helps get people in the door, and honesty goes a long way, as does a high standard for quality. If it doesn't look OEM, there had better be a really good explanation why. It's part of why we have contracts with several school districts/private schools in the area, fixing their iPads. They are always a steady source of revenue, kids fuck shit up all the time. It's also important to diversify, you can't just fix phones. We fix TVs, computers both software and hardware side, and assorted electronics. Standouts include an electric kiddie train, a car radio backlight, and assembling a FM radio transmitter.
>>
>>26408151
>>26408533
Forgot to mention, we get people coming here from rural areas to the north and west of here by 50 to 100 miles, just because of reputation. If you do good work and are honest, the business advertises itself, so you don't need to pay for advertising. It also helps that we are right behind a carrier store.
>>
>>26408020
fuck off normieshit

also, b8

but incase it's not; fuck off
>>
>>26408650
If being successful at something I taught myself is normie shit, I guess I've become one. Just answering OP's question. I was in retail too and hated it.
>>
I'm a cook at a decent pizza place that isn't immediately recognizable as part of a chain despite it lowkey being an LLC of one. It's not too bad unless I have to work the oven, having 20 pizzas all cooking at once that I have to somehow remember when they went in and when they come out with no timer or anything is mind-numbing. It sends my fucking anxiety into overdrive not to mention the fact that when I have to reach into the back of the oven I can feel my skin being singed. Otherwise making the food items, appetizers ,doing the dishes, and doing the assorted cleaning isn't so bad. I make $7.25 an hour though so I'm going to have to apply for something else as soon as I can pass a drug screening.

All-in-all I'm finally getting comfortable with most of it and I like my co-workers but the pay is way too low and working the oven alone makes me want to kill myself.
>>
>>26407188
Night security, easyest fucken job on the planet. You need to be relatively in shape and pass background and drug tests. Posting from my post right now
>>
>>26408935
Elk get back to work. If not Elk, Pazz go back to work.
>>
how do you guys socialize? or do you? If I couldn't manage to make friends or get a girlfriend in college, will I be absolutely fucked when I have to go out into the real world?

Also, what kind of a job can someone with a B.A. in English and above average writing skills get? preferably one that allows me to stay at home and sit on my ass.
>>
>>26407188
Hospital admin.
Incredibility interesting & the payrate is good.
No failed normies/robots, everyone is normal as fuck however most are nice.
It can be very stressful.
Overall I love it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone here.
>>
>>26408958
>Be friendly and half way competent
>Chat to coworkers during work but know when to stop and when not to interrupt their work.
>Go out to social events and drink until you get a good buzz.
>>
>>26408958
Sounds like you were fucked before you ever even went to college.

Writing jobs only make money if you have the connections (read: people skills) to land a good gig or you've got the inhuman luck and dedication to successfully become a novelist or some shit.

You're also not going to suddenly be able to deal with people in the real world if you haven't been able to deal with people thus far.

You could try 'writing for the internet' but if that was a viable option there wouldn't be wageslaves on r9k. There needs to be some level of actual skill, talent, or being a crafty son of a bitch to escape the machine.
>>
>>26409076

I am going to choose not to believe you, because otherwise I would just break down and cry. I have to believe I can do something with the skills I have acquired so far.
>>
>>26409142
Your skills aren't a valued commodity. You might be able to find some shit tier editing or data entry job but I hope you didn't expect to see your name getting published on anything with just a bachelor of arts.

If you start working really hard to get into business or law, your writing skills are suddenly more valuable to society and therefore worth an actual career with a company.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.