[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you grow out of your "edgy" phase and start

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 18

File: God is always there.jpg (160KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
God is always there.jpg
160KB, 570x570px
When did you grow out of your "edgy" phase and start believing in God again?

I was an "atheist" from age 12-15.
>>
File: 1445462990430.jpg (8KB, 196x250px) Image search: [Google]
1445462990430.jpg
8KB, 196x250px
>>26342004
Buddha will show you the way anon
>>
I'm 29 and still agnostic. I went to church for a bit in high school, realized it wasn't for me, and stopped going. I'm not euphoric above it, mind
>>
>>26342083
>agnostic
God this fucking idiotic meme needs to die
>>
>>26342004
I stopped believing at 7 around the same time I stopped believing Santa was real. I started believing life was shit and I'll never have anything nice happen to me. Now it's not really that I don't believe in god, I just don't care.
>>
>>26342254
It's the religion of lazy people because it means they don't have to commit to any ideology
>>
>tfw deistic
I have pushed through the veil to find myself in a world of pure edge.
>>
>>26342004
Life is too short to dedicate yourself to somebody who's never made himself known to me. I'm one of a trillion creations, surely me speaking a few English words in my head and reading a book in said language will not affect if I enter heaven or not. My actions should speak for me as I try to help whoever the best I can and have not ended another's life.
>>
>>26342004
Believing in God or not believing in God is about as important as choosing what you'd like on a pizza.

That said, once God talked to me. I thought I was gonna die and he said he wasn't gonna kill me. What a bro, hope we meet again.
>>
>>26342004
>believe in something
Normie detected
>>
>>26342316
What's the ideology for a hard working intellectual then?
>>
>>26342004
>I was an "atheist" from age 12-15.
Pretty similar. I guess I just stop caring if God actually existed when I was 16. (Very open-minded) Catholic now.
>>
>>26342375
You can figure that out yourself. "Agnostics" are too lazy to get engaged in a discussion where they have to defend their beliefs.
>>
>>26342004
>2016
>Still believing on a moral deity
How can people be so pathetic?
I understand believing on a higher force engineering the universe, but believing on a moral all seeing monster is plain up stupid
>>
File: amanita-muscaria-00071.jpg (225KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amanita-muscaria-00071.jpg
225KB, 640x480px
>>26342004
It's a nice story and all, but "Jesus" was just a regular man that was a part of a fertility cult that took mind altering substances such as Amanita muscaria

Humans have been (ab)using mind altering drugs for tens of thousands of years, if not hundreds of thousands.
>>
I'v been an atheist literally all my life, I don't think that will change any time soon.
>>
I'm 22 and still atheist. I simply see it as wishful thinking because to me the only justifcation is that "maybe something will happen that will prove me right."

>>26342401
I think it's more of a stance to take. You think you're smart by demanding somebody pick a side but won't accept somebody saying that they don't know but would believe if they had substantial proof
>>
>>26342004
I'm too lazy to believe in god, all that work going to church, praying before meals and shit, meh, not worth it, I don't actively believe or disbelieve in any religion, I don't spend any of my time thinking about or caring about it.
>>
>>26342428
There's no evidenceof Jesus outside of the Bible.
>>
>>26342375
Hard work is an ideology itself
>>
>>26342433
The atheism vs theim fight, nobody is going to win at least not during a discussion. What you see as a proof that God doesn't exist, I see as a proof is God's existence; but we pick a side and commit to it, most agnostics aren't thorn between believing in God or denying his existence, they simply give up and don't want to be right or wrong. Don't come at me with the "you think you're smart", you're going against my character not my argument.
>>
>christfags
Not even once famalam, shit is mental cancer
>>
File: 1453237981885.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1453237981885.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>26342375
Agnostic theism fampersand
>>
He is an avatar of god. Vote for him or you will go to hell.
>>
>>26342499
While youre not exactly wrong thats precisely how religion tackles every mystery. It bends the train of thought to say "his nonexistence is just proof that he is testing us" while an atheist would just stop at "his nonexistence proves there's nothing there."
I don't see the problem with agnostics saying "I can't say for sure but if god came to me then I would believe." A religious person would reply that "god is always with you" or some similar mystical nonsense.

You're practically asking "does god exist?" And when somebody says "I don't know" you reply "LOL you're lazy and not an intellectual because you haven't tried hard enough to find out!"
>>
File: 1409968788638.jpg (142KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1409968788638.jpg
142KB, 500x667px
>>26342004
>>26342254
>>26342316
>>26342401
>religion
>believing in God is not enough for them they need to make up fairytales about him and claim themselves superior to other religions and beliefs by having the best fairytale
>wanting to embarrass yourself this much
>>
File: 362693762.jpg (21KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
362693762.jpg
21KB, 460x288px
>>26342004
Expecting salvation from dead is a muslim tradition anon.
>>
>>26342004
>When did you grow out of your "edgy" phase and start believing in God again?

What's edgy about not believing in Bronze Age Jewish mythology?
>>
>>26342401
>You can figure that out yourself. "Agnostics" are too lazy to get engaged in a discussion where they have to defend their beliefs.

There's nothing to defend. Can you prove to me that any deity exists? No. Can you prove to me that any deity does not exist? No.
>>
>>26342447
The most ironic part is that religions fags are so retarded that even in the bible god didn't want them worshiping him they way they do now
Catholicism is the most hypocritical religion, they worship a fucking idol. God said not to in the bible. Retards down desu

at least other religions like Buddhist and Muslims or Shinto can get their religions straight.
>>
>>26342596
>atheist
>he thinks man is the highest authority
>ergo, the realm of the mind is the finest form of creation
>thinks a contest of human creation is embarrassing
And yet you appreciate illustration, what's the big difference you cocksucking jabroni?
I don't believe in god, but I believe in the greatness the concept can bring to the hearts and mind of man.
Look at the fucking basilica.
>>
>>26342608
Nothing, this religion shilling cunt has been spamming these threads for a while
>>
>>26342004
what if I am in an edgy phase where I believe god is a malicious prick?
>>
>>26342631
My problem with agnosticism is that it literally is atheism, but you retards always go "Nuh uh!" if someone points that out. If you don't know if any deity exists, you don't believe in any deity. Why can't you fuckers accept that that puts you in the exact same camp as atheists?
>>
>>26342648
>a great fairytale is great because it resulted in a big beautiful building
>>
>>26342648
>telling me what I believe and how I believe it
Last time I checked I didn't disclose that to you. Or is god speaking to you again and telling you my views on life?

I don't even need to read your posts because Atheists aren't some hivemind religious group that identifies with each other. At least try to think for yourself once in a while.
>>
>>26342661
Except it isn't because atheists are by definition strictly opposed to the idea.
You're probably getting confused in that most people who call themselves atheist are likely actually agnostic
>>
>>26342661
Agnostics believe in god.
Atheists don't or believe there is no god.
Are you seriously that retarded?
>>
>>26342578
You either believe and commit to it or you don't. If you doubt God's existence you don't believe in him and there's no point in believing if you need God to pat you in the back and tell you "I'm right here son" that's not the way faith works.

>>26342631
Defending doesn't mean proving, son.
>>
>>26342687
See now you're just using incorrect semantics to justify your identity.
>>
>>26342698
How can you claim to believe in something which you don't know or care about? There's a complete absence of faith, which is kind of the focal point of religion.
>>
>>26342661
>My problem with agnosticism is that it literally is atheism, but you retards always go "Nuh uh!" if someone points that out. If you don't know if any deity exists, you don't believe in any deity. Why can't you fuckers accept that that puts you in the exact same camp as atheists.

I neither believe nor disbelieve in any deity. It's not the same as saying "God doesn't exist" - I would disagree with that statement as much as I would disagree with the statement that "God does exist".
>>
>>26342698

Agnostics actually say you can't know for definite whether God exists or not.
>>
M8. Holding Americanized Christian beliefs IS the edgy phase
>>
>>26342455
There is in roman documents and literature
>>
>>26342699
>Defending doesn't mean proving, son.

I don't have to prove the stance that there is neither sufficient evidence for nor against the existence of deities. It's just a blunt fact.
>>
>>26342662
and the story is great in general, revelations and song of Solomon in particular are gorgeously written.
God is a massive human achievement, a conceptual powerhouse and unwavering muse.
I love mankind, I love art, I love storytelling- so even though I'm atheistic I love god.
>>
File: atheist-banner.jpg (32KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
atheist-banner.jpg
32KB, 500x342px
>parents raised me as a hardcore religious person from birth
>learned to read on bible scripture
>taught to pray before bed every night
>still not religious

You have to be a special kind of retard to believe in that stuff.
>>
>>26342698
>Agnostics believe in god.

Agnostics neither believe nor disbelieve in any deity.
>>
>>26342718
>>26342735
You don't need "faith" or a viewpoint to say something exists.
>>
>>26342745
Defending literally means to speak in favor of. If you believe in God, you defend your views and if you don't you do too. Stop trying to take the argument some place else, my point is that you have to commit to an ideology.
>>
>>26342699
So youre saying god only accepts those who have been in the club for the longest time
>>
>>26342698
>calling people retarded
>having facts wrong
Are you trying to embarrass yourself?
>>
>>26342767
>If you believe in God, you defend your views and if you don't you do too.

Do you need to defend your non-belief in Santa Claus? Or fairies? The burden of proof is on the person making the positive statement.
>>
>>26342631
Agnosticism doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Firstly, you can't prove a negative so you're asking atheists to do something that is literally impossible. Second, theists were the ones initially making the claim of a God's existence, so the burden of proof is on them.

We have evidence and several instances of men creating gods, but we don't have any evidence of gods creating men or gods creating anything, for that matter.

On the matter of agnosticism, no one knows if a god exists. No one knows if they're going to wake up in the morning or if the sun is suddenly going to die out. But, we base our beliefs and actions on the knowledge we've gained about how the natural world works and the predictability of things based on patterns.

You don't know if your mother loves you, but you have evidence from your interactions with her to form a belief in the matter.
>>
>>26342753
I was raised with Jehova's Witnesses, I can't tell you how mindnumbing that shit is. They literally think everyone other than them is going to hell, even their own non-JW family members.

Religion is retardation on a pseudo intellectual level.

Religion has brought more death over the years than anything else, and religionfags will say those people who were misguided are going to hell.

It's just a pissparty, better to not get involved and stunt your life with things that won't ever be in your life. I only appreciate religion for the beautiful art and monuments it has created.
>>
I guess 13-15
>>
>>26342784
I'll never embarrass myself as much as fairytale circlejerking. At least someone can prove to me what Agnosticism is.
>>
>>26342812
It's mind control
>>
>>26342812
>I was raised with Jehovah's Witnesses

Same. It's a horrible cult that has fucked up my life, my emotional well-being, and my mind. Probably the reason I'm on /r9k/.
>>
I was a "debate me" edgelord who reviled religion from 13 to 17, now I'm 24 and don't give a shit anymore.
>>
I never believed in anything because I wasn't raised in an environment that promoted stupidity.
>>
age 0-17
>atheist
>peaceful
>minded my own business
>didn't harm anyone

age 17-27
>christian
>raped a few kids
>shoot a few people for not believing what I do
>shit was cash

age 27-current
>muslim
>aloha snackbar'd a few infidels
>heads rolled
>raped a few kids again
>shit was even more cash

idk what to try next FA/\/\, any suggestions?
>>
>>26342772
>Jesus said unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed. Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.
>>
>HURR HURR I'M AGNOSTIC

No you're an idiot. When asked "Do you belief in God?" you can't say "I don't know". Are you honestly going to tell someone that you don't know if you belief God exists or not? It's a yes or no question. You are theist or atheist.
>>
>>26342797
Sure, if it's so, then why do atheist obsess over proving that God doesn't exist? There are literally tons of books, videos, essays written on that matter, by atheists.
>>
File: 666 pepe.jpg (15KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
666 pepe.jpg
15KB, 320x320px
>tfw you worship the only one worth worshipping
>>
>>26342744
So why are there accredited historians who doubt his existence?

Proof of these unbiased sources?
>>
>>26342004
I was an atheist from 2007-2014. After an increasingly bad run in life I had to reign in my degeneracy, and it was only a matter of time before I had to start growing up from fedoratheism and gain some self-awareness. It was that which ultimately lead me on a path whereby a higher power (god) was no longer a deniable presence. I'm glad I did because things have slowly but surely began to improve although i'm yet to rejoin the lapsed faith of my childhood.
>>
>>26342876
>mm I like le atheists because they don't go into a room full of people armed with bombs and scream "logic" "reason"
>I'm so logical and peaceful I don't care about anyone's beliefs that's why I go on le Christian and Muslim YouTube videos saying how stupid they are
>>
>>26342812
same here. my mom was the "outcast" because she wanted to get away from it, therefore removing me from it.
family basically ex-communicated us after that.
it was ingrained in me to not have sex before marriage.
it's deeper than that, really. i can't even do bad things, my conscience beats me up everytime. i have this really strong conviction not to do bad things to others, i can only guess that it was my upbringing.

i bet shitty people live with tons of guilt, i wonder what it's like to live with guilt. probably makes you fat.
>>
>>26342879
Please bless me jesus i need to be better than these filthy atheists who don't believe in you!
>>26342894
>I don't know, it's possible but I doubt it.
>yes or no question
>>
gods not real lol. no edge required.
>>
I was raised as a Muslim and I'm never going back to that shit again. I'm not "edgy" fir not believing in mythology which aims to dictate my morals and life
>>
>>26342944
Stupidest way to end an argument.
>>
>>26342917
Titus Flavius Iosephus wrote about the execution of Jesus' brother, and literally mentioned him as the brother of the famous "Jesus Christ"

He's also mentioned in various documents from Suetonius, Pliny and Tacitus
>>
Agnostic Theist/Deist

MASTER RACE
>>
>>26342979
>pick 1 or 2. 3 is unacceptable
Terrible way to argue
>>
When did people start spamming /r9k/ with 10-year-old- recycled copypastas from /b/?
>>
Raised a Buddhist.
Literally an idol of Buddha in my living room where my father prays in the morning

Strangely, aside from the annual church visit we weren't very religious.
>>
>>26342894
Saying that you know for a fact whether or not a divine entity exists is stupid, ignorant, and arrogant. I'm an agnostic because, while I doubt the existence of a god, the moment I see undeniable empirical evidence I will fall onto my knees and become a believer. But not until then.
>>
>>26342767
> my point is that you have to commit to an ideology

uhm...no? kthxbye
>>
>>26342944

The question is "Do you believe in God(s)?" not "Do you believe God(s) exist?"

If you asked me "Do you like cake?" and I said "lol idk, it's possible but I doubt it" I'd call me fucking retarded.
>>
>>26342004
>whether god is real or not is irrelevant
>what american degenerates consider edgy is super relevant
Ok then
>>
>>26343002
The fact that it's a valid answer doesn't change that you're lazy for picking the "i don't know" answer.
>>
>>26343030
>god is cake
>>
>>26343026

It's not saying that you KNOW god exists, it's saying that you BELIEVE god exists. Either you do or you don't believe.
>>
>>26343030
>If you asked me "Do you like cake?" and I said "lol idk, it's possible but I doubt it" I'd call me fucking retarded.
It would be a perfectly logic reply if you never had cake before.
>>
>>26343030

If you have never tasted nor seen cake, the answer "I don't know" is perfectly acceptable. Same goes for a God.
>>
>>26342987
You can Google all of those and they'll all be discredited quite readily by actual historians.

Also, here's an actual historian on the historicity of Jesus.
https://youtu.be/WUYRoYl7i6U
>>
>>26342901
>Sure, if it's so, then why do atheist obsess over proving that God doesn't exist? There are literally tons of books, videos, essays written on that matter, by atheists.

No idea. I'm agnostic.
>>
>>26343027
Another stupid way to end an argument.
>>
>>26343037
>he doesn't like the answer
Y-youre just lazy
>>
>>26343052
>>26343042
You could randomly generate a bunch of claims and people like this would think they're all 50/50 likely to be true
>>
>>26343062
>Richard Carrier
LOL
>>
>>26342894
Stop being stupid, you know full well that's not what it means.

It's not about believing, it's about if you think there is a god/gods.

"Do you think there is a God"
"I don't think we can be sure either way"

It's super simple stuff.
>>
>>26342894
>No you're an idiot. When asked "Do you belief in God?" you can't say "I don't know". Are you honestly going to tell someone that you don't know if you belief God exists or not? It's a yes or no question. You are theist or atheist.

"I don't know" is the only reasonable response to being asked whether any deity exists.
>>
This is a sad thread. Full of typically angry and bitter Atheists.

I hope things get better for you guys one day.
>>
>>26343071
I'll tell you why then, because the burden of proof is in both sides.
>>
ITT: Religiousfags want to force agnostics to take a side, but overlook the fact that just because you say somebody has to do something, they are not obliged to actually do it.
>>
>>26343076
Did you not read the rest of the things that I said or are you trying to make me look stupid because you don't agree with me?
>>
>>26342972
>gods not real lol.
and we will take the advice of an underage why?
>>
>>26343085

When the question is "Does a deity exist" sure I accept that. But when the question is "Do you belief in a deity?" "I don't know" doesn't cut it.
>>
>>26343088
>in america this is not just a meme
Now that's some sad shit right there
>>
>>26343099
Nobody is trying to force anybody, why does your mind make up this kind of excuses just to justify the fact that you haven't won the argument?

>hurr hurr I'm free to believe what I want, mean religious people are trying to force me!
>>
>>26342894
This statement is illogical because God is uncertain either way. Christianity is based of faith, meaning the people don't need proof they just believe. Atheists don't have faith, many believe in the big bang and think of us a cosmic coincidence. The amount of evidence is greater for the big bang then God himself, but it is still uncertain and requires faith. So now both sides believe in something that is mabye wrong, but both have faith in it.
What do you do if you don't believe in neither? This is when people who either don't care, or don't know come in. Existence is for ourselves in the end, God doesn't impact the mind, its unnecessary now for our survival. Christianity is a cult, we are supposed to believe in invisible people and make them happy by not raping people and singing songs. That sounds like bullshit, but it doesnt smell as bad.
So now, people who don't know if God exists or dont exists, these people exist. It is buffoonery to say people like this don't exist. Agnosticism is being an optimistic athiest, it means harboring the chane that God might exist but for now the evidence is proving other wise but life itself is so amazing and incredible, you just don't know.
>>
Who else /worshipyog-sothoth,shub-niggurath,andgreatdreamingctgulhu/ here? Glory to the Old Ones! Cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iae! Iae!
>>
>>26343062
>posts a beta nu-male for his argument
le lulz all round
>>
>>26343052
Not the guy you're replying to but it's not really acceptable.

If you know the components of cake and the flavor profiles of those components you can form some sort of opinion on if you'd like cake or not. But analogy with cake and god isn't entirely apt.

It's more akin to knowing if someone you're close to loves you or not. You'll never know for sure but you can infer from their actions how they feel. Theists assign characteristics and personality traits to their god. They claim their god interacts or at least can interact with the us and the natural world. The moment you give someone a description of something they can form an opinion on it. Based on what most theists, not just Abrahamic theists but all theists, their gods have feelings, emotions and beliefs of their own. If the way we perceive reality doesn't align with the description of their god, then how could you rationally believe?
>>
1. Define God.
2. Prove in some way that God exists
3. Whatever you do, refrain from :
"Man, there's gotta be something out there, you know, a higher power bigger than us."

Face it, people here *believe* in god just to spite people who don't.
While having the audacity to call non-believers edgy, no less.

If you want to believe, go ahead, but don't pretend what you believe is the truth.
I will allow as much, both you and myself.
>>
13-14 mostly.

I was angry because my puppy die and I didn't want to accept the fault, so I blamed god and become atheist. After a while I realized that was stupid and accepted that it was my fault.
Now, I'm interested in taxidermy, but I'm too poor learn.

I'm not christian or agnostic, mind you, I know deities exist. I just don't know who to worship.
>>
>>26343081
Excellent rebuttal. What's it like being an actual historian?
>>
>>26343040
Believing in something without tangible proof is pretty dumb, but should proof present itself I'll start.
>>
>>26343108
>When the question is "Does a deity exist" sure I accept that. But when the question is "Do you belief in a deity?" "I don't know" doesn't cut it.

My answer to "do you believe in a deity?" is no, but at the same time my answer to "Do you believe that deities don't exist?" is also no. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
>>
Religiousfags, leave, the concept of a personal God is retarded.
>>
>>26343130

Uh, yes. If you are saying I have to pick either believing or not believing even though I disagree with the whole concept of (not) believing, that's essentially trying to force sb.

I don't think religious people are mean and I absolutely hate how atheists behave e.g. in the US. But if I choose to not engage in the concept of (not) believing, that is my own decision and not your call to make.
>>
>>26343141
Excellent employment of the ad hominem tactic.
>>
>>26343114
Not sure what you mean but i'm not American.

In fact the media here has always led me to believe Americans are mostly spiritual people.
>>
>>26343157

So you're an atheist because you don't believe in god then.
>>
>>26343172
I never said that you had to pick a side, I said not picking one makes you lazy.
>>
>1800+216
>being a sheep

Kek, if god exists he's a the worst really, look at how he doomed everyone who browses this board.
>but muh free will
You keep believing that, maybe you should learn more about the human brain, go read Sam Harris.
>>
>>26343177
I doubt it's existence, but I'm not saying I'm 100% certain or that I /know/ it doesn't exist. Anyone in here who believes 100% in their faith or lack-thereof is retarded.
>>
They do it to rebel against their surroundings, and the surroundings of a young person can be very non-religious nowadays.

EDGY
D
G
Y
>>
>>26343135
>The amount of evidence is greater for the big bang then God himself
when did the idea that the big bang and our universe is god in action get dismissed?
Religion aside if not a higher power then what is the non-believers view on the big bang?
>>
>>26343177

You just don't want to get it, do you?

He doesn't believe in a god. He also doesn't believe in the claim that there is no god. Which makes him neither theist nor atheist. Idiot.
>>
File: photo53.jpg (173KB, 720x582px) Image search: [Google]
photo53.jpg
173KB, 720x582px
>0-16: atheist
>16-22: psychonaut/new age nonsense
>22+ 99% sure I've become a Hindu by accident
>>
>>26343143
>you rationally believe?
belief is inherently not rational
>>
>>26342894
>Thinking the world is black and white
>despite it being the current year
Get it together senpai
Agnisticism is literally living our negative freedom of religion, the freedom to abstain from any and all religious discussion because there's absolutely no point. Why not focus on secular objectives to make the world a better place? Also there can be theist agnostics and atheist agnostics, it's about accepting that there's no definite answer but you can Interpret arguments an both sides ans way you want
>>
>>26343175
Yes, americans actually believe in the "sad atheists" meme, while not realizing that they're the only western nation that's still jihadistan -tier religious.
>>
>>26343188

And why? There are tons of excellent scientific arguments for not picking a side because the concept of (not) believing is not scientific. How does taking part in this discourse and stating my opinion regarding both theists and atheist make me lazy? You still lack the answer to that, all you say is that it makes me lazy. But you don't have any arguments behind this subjective claim.
>>
File: 1446497153137.jpg (73KB, 852x960px) Image search: [Google]
1446497153137.jpg
73KB, 852x960px
>>26342004
I became agnostic
Does that count?
>>
>>26343143
Im a theist but my concept of god doesnt include feelings or emotions. Certainly I hold an individualistic belief of my own, but is it not our duty as men to objectively form our own conclusions based on the evidence available to us?
>>
>>26343234
Forget it. Who cares if somebody thinks you're lazy? That has nothing to do with the argument its just an adhominem
>>
>>26343205
Im not a space man, so I cant really tell you. Look it up on the googs.
>>
>>26343256

I know, I just wanted to point out that even his argument of claiming I am lazy doesn't add up.
>>
>>26343234
Because believing in God involves Faith, saying that you would believe if you had proof defeats the purpose of religion, you might as well don't believe at all and commit to that. I already said this but you don't want to understand.
>>
>>26343150
You are so dense you will be ashamed of yourself in a few years. Don't be. The path of the righteous is one we must walk alone. God won't punish you for disbelief.
>>
>>26343277
Kid, grow up, noone cares if you are religious or not.
>>
>>26343217
You're retarded.

You believe the ground is going to be there every time you take a step. You believe that your car is going to stop when you press the brakes. You believe that when you eat the food isn't going to start pouring out of your armpits.

These are rational beliefs. You have empirical and testable evidence on which to base these beliefs.

Most people don't believe the sun is going to magically turn into jello one day or that all the water on the planet is gonna turn into tacos because don't have anything hinting that any of that is even slightly probable.

You hold tons of beliefs.
>>
>>26343274

And you don't understand, despite several people here repeating the same differentiation over and over again, that "not believing in a god" does not equal "not believing". Not believing in a god equals "I believe there is no god" whereas not believing equals "I do not engage in the concept of believing, should it be that there is a god or that there is no god"
>>
>>26343152
>I'm not christian or agnostic, mind you, I know deities exist. I just don't know who to worship.

God doesn't punish the blind or the meek.
The presence of the higher power will guide you into the light when the time is right.
>>
>>26342004
What do teachers being quiet during tests have to do with god?
>>
>Look at me, look at me, I'm religious.

Honestly if you are that kind of religious person on 4chan of all places, you are doing it for attention.

Just admit it.
>>
>>26343317
What about job lol
>inb4 he wasn't punishing him he was testing him
>>
>>26343318

The idea is that God is "testing" us.

Of course, that makes no sense, because God supposedly knows everything, meaning he has no need to run any kind of "test"--he already knows what the result will be.
>>
>>26342004
i was a christian until i became an adult, cheq m8 8/8 b8
>>
>>26343318

Dunno, but you'll get a C- for questioning the concept.

-GOD
>>
>>26343330

There's been a recent influx of religion shills.
>>
>>26343233
America doesn't have that many jihadis. The statistics say that their muslim population is a small minority. There are far more terrorist attacks in Europe.
>>
>>26343249
Sure but it's irrational to believe in a god without any prior examples of a god other than man made gods.

I don't know how the universe to be but asserting that a god or any other such magical nonsense did it is dumb.
>>
Did try out church for a bit last year, I like listening to the talks and then learning how to be a better person, but I just can't believe in all the magic stuff t.b.h
>>
>>26342004
the only god i believe in is the based god
>>
>>26343299
I'm not religious, but I have a firm belief in god.

Just saying don't punish yourself when you finally see the light.
>>
>>26343354

That's an analogy, dumbshit. He means that the christians are as radical as muslim jihadis.
>>
>>26343333
>Nice quads.
I don't follow Abrahamic scripture so unsure of job. BTW disbelief in religious practices don't justify disbelief in god. God won't blame you for questioning his presence though.
>>
>>26343389
Go read physics, chemistry and mathematics to truly find the light.
OH, wait your lazy mind can't handle that. It's so much easier to just have a *firm belief in god*.

Trash is what you are, no different than the normalfags you probably consider so different from yourself.

Trash picking the easy way.
>>
>>26343383
Lel, church doesn't teach how to be a good person.
>>
>>26343337
Who has supposed that god knows everything?

You are falling for the idea that religion represents god. Christians aren't the only believers.
>>
I wasn't lied to as a child so I never believed in god, santa claus, easter bunny etc.

No idea if that's entirely a good thing tho
>>
All of the worlds most impoverished and utterly fucked by life people on the planet are also the most devout believers so I really don't see what the big deal is. If there is a god out there he doesn't seem to give much of a shit
>>
>>26343365
>other than man made gods.
man didn't create the planet or the universe.
>>
>>26343462
Any school of thought that claims god isn't a perfect being is pretty fucking pointless. Why should I give a shit about him if he's no better than any jackass here on earth. That's like believing your parents have inherent value or wisdom just for being your parents
>>
>>26343480
I never said man did...? Didn't even imply it.
>>
>>26343403
>He means that the christians are as radical as muslim jihadis.
Which is nonsense. Not that i'd expect any more from a atheist.
>>
>>26342894
>Hurr im better than you because im 100% sure a sky fairy daddy exists even if i have never seen one, how dare you not believe in made up things

I find it funny how your god is supposed to teach you to be meek, but the fact is all you enlightened by holy spirit wankers just project your desires into a jewish mythology book (which could have been a different mythology depending on your location) and convince yourselves that your interpretation of it is the righteous one so you can feel superior. Creating imaginary friends is something little children do, which makes the op post even funnier, even if he is baiting. You can parrot your le dib menorah memes now
>>
>>26343518
No he's inferring it. You implied it
>>
I want to believe in god but I can't seem to do it.

How do I into religion?
>>
>>26342004
never really was out of it.

Atheism is fucking degeneracy. it supports the death of european culture which is obviously based around christian traditions.

On top of that, this worthless dogshit ties together with communism and cultural marxism.
It tries to scorn you as well for trying to lead a spiritual life or even desiring it which is an awful, unhealthy mindset.
there are several studies on top of that, which show that religious people are happier in general than fedoras. exactly as it should be.

proud to be a catholic because fuck idiots who try to act like science can ever replace religion (totally not a different pair of shoes right?) which is the most retarded shit I've ever heard in my fucking life.
>>
>>26343520

When it comes to fundamentalism, I think the analogy is not that far fetched. Actions like terrorism however, is a completely different topic.
>>
>>26342316
Dude, being an atheist just mean you lack religious beliefs. It doesn't mean anything else. Atheists could believe in gremlins for all I care.
>>
>>26343590

European culture is actually based around overcoming christian belief as the only source of guidance for everyday life. I agree with you though that it is pretty stupid to despise christian ideas while at the same time everybody goes like "hurr durr, but the muslims are so great"
>>
I can't believe in God. I think it's logically impossible, and if I'm wrong on that then there's certainly not any evidence there for me to be open to the idea. I mean, you shouldn't need evidence of something NOT existing. You might as well be open to the idea of any ridiculous thing you make up. Like as obnoxious as the flying spaghetti monster thing is, it's a very good point.

I still identify as a moral person though and a Christian in the Jeffersonian sense.
>>
>>26343434
Not sure why you are so upset, but i wont sit in judgement. In fact I hope you are alright. My god doesn't judge or punish disbelievers so its not my place to either.

I do enjoy science and mathematics though. As did Isaac Newton before me. He also believed in god. If you can't see a higher power then there is undoubtably good reasoning that is no concern of mine. Just don't beat yourself up if you should come to discover his presence one day.
>>
>>26343559
Where exactly did I imply that man created the universe?? That sounds equally as retarded as a god doing it.
>>
I don't have my personal opinion on God or not, because I don't subscribe to that. It's that simple. I have no beliefs about atheism or theism, period.
>>
>>26343590
> it supports the death of european culture which is obviously based around christian traditions.

lmao come on now nigga pick up a book
happier by being in denial about issues by saying gods plan lol isn't a good thing
>>
>>26343495
>Any school of thought that claims god isn't a perfect being is pretty fucking pointless. Why should I give a shit about him if he's no better than any jackass here on earth.

Some days I almost wish I could turn back the clock and enjoy this kind of mindless self indulgence once more.
>>
>>26343682
Enlighten me

Original comment
>>
>>26343590
>Atheism is fucking degeneracy. it supports the death of european culture which is obviously based around christian traditions.

*cringe*
And yeah, obviously every atheist believes islam dindu nuffin and basically has the same exact mentality. People should really drop this me-vs-you attitude, because it isn't good for anyone. I'm going to spare commenting on the relation between religion and science since that would take too much time, kek.
>>
>>26343664
Your pathetic attempts to type in ebonics is why atheists have a reputation for being losers.
>>
If God existed robots wouldn't
>>
Religion is part of the human identity. We are the only creature to ever engage in that, excluding neanderthals, and (I like to believe) elephants, who take interest in the bones of their dead.

Anyway, the problem is that modern religions are utterly braindead, that's just the reality we live in.

You have to define your own religious beliefs/ metaphysical beliefs/ illusions that keep you going for ex. It's all good as long as you know that the things you believe are not necessarily true, and likely untrue, maybe completely illusory.

It takes discipline to believe in spite of your own knowledge.
And that discipline is much, much higher than blind faith without doubt.

Discipline.
atheist btw
>>
>>26343715
>relation between religion and science
they are overwhelming interwoven.
>>
>>26343763

/thread

r9k solves the question of God's existence.
>>
>>26343725
pathetic attempts to type in ebonics
how is it an attempt, how is it even ebonics. Like if I removed the word nigga from it you'd have no cause to say that. Pathetic attempt, and they say atheists are fedora tippers. I'm fucking black you jackass. Does that qualify me now? How do I cross from mere pathetic attempts to actually typing in ebonics?
>>
>>26343763
What if robots are part of gods path for further human enlightenment?
He can't lift you up if you never slipped to begin with.
>>
>>26342316
>ideologies
>any year
ayy
>>
>>26343807
>getting butthurt about your lacking capacity to type coherently
>>
>>26343216
>when you commit yourself to mankind, you are being violent to all the other forms of life.
>>
>>26343607
Oh okay dude, so someone who believes in God but doesn't have a religion is an atheist right? WRONG
>>
>>26343807
replacing the consonant cluster "ck" with "cc" usually does the tricc :D
>>
My family was devoutly religious, so I didn't have much of a choice. My parents made church attendance compulsory, and would literally beat me if I said I didn't believe in God. Around the time I left home, I was free to be myself and question all the nonsense my parents had pushed on me. I was still uncomfortable with atheism, but frankly, the only "faith" I had in my religion at that point was based solely on the fear of eternal damnation.

Having later met a few atheists, the idea started to grow on me. Here were these normal, well-adjusted people who just happened to be atheists, which was completely unlike the negative stereotypes that my parents and fellow churchgoers kept pushing. So, gradually, I allowed myself to question my faith and distance myself from my parents' belief system. It took several years for me to set aside all my fears about hell, but all of that eventually diminished in my late 20s, once I became more exposed to the world and realized how the logic just doesn't add up:

- There are a lot of mutually-exclusive belief systems in the world, and their followers seem just as certain about their faith as anyone else is about theirs. Who's to say any one belief system is the right one?
- If I were born in any other part of the world, I would probably be raised with a completely different set of beliefs. Is religious faith not simply the result of cultural indoctrination?
- God can't be benevolent if he's willing to condemn people to eternal suffering for transgressions committed in such a short and otherwise meaningless lifetime. That would be an act of outrageously disproportionate retribution. So even if God exists, how could I possibly convince myself that my relationship with God is any different from a hostage throwing themselves at the mercy of a gunman?
>>
>>26343788
No, not really. Religion is a side effect of people learning how to get ideas, based mostly on their imagination, since they weren't able to properly analyse the world around them without knowing certain laws. Science is about being able to figure how things actually work. You would agree religion has been an obstacle for science numerous times (popular example is how heliocentrism was claimed a heresy) unless you are one of those people that think the descriptions in bible are just metaphors. I don't see how religion is helpful for anything in modern times, now that we know much more about the world.
>>
well from 10 to 13 i was the look at me guys i'm atheist and edgy guy

then i just didn't care about it, i still think there is no god but honestly i don't give a shit
>>
>>26343189
>Meme Harris

Kek, okay buddy. Get back to me when you turn 18.
>>
>>26342800
Alright, let's play the burden of proof game.

Prove we exist, since you base the assumption that God doesn't exist based on our experiences.
>>
>>26343933
Thats a pretty sad comment and I hope you aren't hung up on things and don't blame your parents for their personal faults or resent god for allowing them.

God does not sit in judgement and should not be feared, eternal damnation is merely a human concept. God welcomes questioning and will not punish you for engaging in disbelief.

>- There are a lot of mutually-exclusive belief systems in the world, and their followers seem just as certain about their faith as anyone else is about theirs. Who's to say any one belief system is the right one?
Its up to you to decide for yourself what your beliefs are and to remain entirely impartial to the belief/disbelief of others.

>- If I were born in any other part of the world, I would probably be raised with a completely different set of beliefs. Is religious faith not simply the result of cultural indoctrination?
It certainly wasn't the case for me as I was raised in a secular household and now hold a firm belief in god, although i'm not religious.

>- God can't be benevolent if he's willing to condemn people to eternal suffering for transgressions committed in such a short and otherwise meaningless lifetime. That would be an act of outrageously disproportionate retribution. So even if God exists, how could I possibly convince myself that my relationship with God is any different from a hostage throwing themselves at the mercy of a gunman?
God remains impartial to the minutiae of human existence.
>>
File: deadkike.png (1MB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
deadkike.png
1MB, 800x1000px
>>26342004
never, religion is a load of bullshit, keep your fairy tale hogwash to yourself pham
>>
>>26344109
That's not the way burden of proof works, you idiot. You don't force a claim onto someone and then tell them to defend it.
>>
>>26344222
When did he mention religion? OP asked what age you began to believe in god. There is a big difference between believing in god and being religious.
>>
>>26344241
Not him, but why do atheists demand the burden of proof when it comes to god when they can't even definitively prove their own existence?
>>
>>26344252
you have to be a super retard to believe on these kike stories
>>
>>26344280
What kike stories?

I believe in god but I don't follow any religion.

Why is god and religion synonymous to you?
>>
File: 1420444290087.png (272KB, 984x728px) Image search: [Google]
1420444290087.png
272KB, 984x728px
Friendly reminder, my family.
>>
>>26344268
Because theists are the ones making the claim of a God's existence. Also, you can't definitively prove something that can be entirely subjective. The meaning of "existence" can change depending on who you ask, so can't definitively prove something like that. At best, you can prove there's a shared reality. If I stab you, you're gonna act like someone who just got stabbed.
>>
File: 1375148149279.jpg (45KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1375148149279.jpg
45KB, 600x480px
>205 replies

>the robot won't fuck off
>>
>>26344350
What do Abrahamic religions have to do with the belief in god?

Just because they are the most prominent doesn't mean they represent all believers because they don't represent me.
>>
>>26344364
>If I stab you, you're gonna act like someone who just got stabbed.
What are your expectations of a stabbed man?
>>
>>26344419
>What do [...] religions
>have to do with god
Jeez I fucking wonder
>>
>>26342004
Well, but still I hated most of my Teachers because they are dickheads. Checkmate OP.
>>
>>26344448
I don't know. Depends on the context.
>>
>>26344471
Wow, you still haven't killed yourself? This is so disheartening.
>>
>>26344471
Beyond being a popular representation of god, a superficiality.

What deeper significance do religions hold that means only their beliefs represent all believers of a higher power?

It seems to me that that mischaracterization is a trait only atheists hold dear.

Personally the religions of others doesn't hold any sway in my disbelief in religion and sincere belief in god, or any sway on my perceptions of the beliefs of others.

Not judging atheists, im just genuinely curious why they hold that believing in god is synonymous with being religious?
>>
>>26344268

You don't get to go around shoving your beliefs in other people's faces, then demand negative proof when they don't comply with you. That's not only inherently wrong, it's being a jackass.

>Hey Anon, you should believe in God or you're going to burn in hell!
>Sorry, man. You're entitled to believe whatever you want, but I haven't seen anything substantial enough to suggest that God exists.
>Oh, yeah?! Well can you prove that God *doesn't* exist? Haha! Checkmate, gaytheist!

Yeah, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>26344565
As a fellow believer I must ask you to refrain from engaging in insulting and provocative language toward the non-believer.

God has willed that anon's desire to question his belief and it's not our place to sit in judgement.
>>
>>26344601

I'm an atheist and I know that you don't have to follow a religion to believe in god. The thing is that most people who do believe in god are religious in some form. This should be pretty obvious. The idea of god is entangled in the idea of organised religion. In particular, your idea of there being one singular god is heavily associated with judeo-christian belief.
>>
>>26344701
>>Hey Anon, you should believe in God or you're going to burn in hell!
>>Sorry, man. You're entitled to believe whatever you want, but I haven't seen anything substantial enough to suggest that God exists.
>>Oh, yeah?! Well can you prove that God *doesn't* exist? Haha! Checkmate, gaytheist!

I never said any of those things, indeed i've never forced my beliefs onto anyone.
However if you don't have an answer for my question then your grasping at straws is understandable, although not entirely reasonable. Also there is really no need to attempt to be insulting. Be reassured that I won't judge you on your poorly placed anger aimed toward me anyway.
>>
>>26342004
I never had that phase. Never stopped believing.
>>
THIS IS NOW A KEK THREAD
>>
>>26344831
>your idea of there being one singular god is heavily associated with judeo-christian belief.
Not sure why you are attempting to dictate my beliefs to me, although honestly i've come to expect that from atheists.

>The thing is that most people who do believe in god are religious in some form.
The belief/disbelief of others shouldn't hold sway on your belief system or else it is you are failing to remain objective.

>The idea of god is entangled in the idea of organised religion.
That's only true for the masses who lack alternative resources for information. Many educated westerners live a secular lifestyle but still hold a firm belief in god, myself being one such instance. It is my opinion that you are operating on a mischaracterization, probably perpetuated by the media.
>>
>>26344992
Laughing at the inability of others to understand a complex concept such as a belief/disbelief in a higher power is cruel and not something you should take pleasure from.
>>
>>26344998

Looks like you're just trying to pick a fight or whatever. I get that you don't like being lumped in with religious people, but you did ask me why atheists lump you in with religious people, and I gave you your answer. I even told you that it's not something I necessarily do. And by the way, I'm not dictating your beliefs to you. You dictacted them yourself by talking about your belief in 'god' not 'gods'. It's a pretty safe bet that you're a monotheist.
>>
>>26345227
>Looks like you're just trying to pick a fight or whatever.
I apologize if it appears that way, it's certainly not my intention to fight although it's a divisive topic and passions may flare, but I attempt merely to engage discussion.

>I get that you don't like being lumped in with religious people, but you did ask me why atheists lump you in with religious people, and I gave you your answer.
Fair point, although for future reference it is a mischaracterization and one I would hope people will be willing to reconsider, especially when it's unfairly perpetuated in the media.

>I even told you that it's not something I necessarily do. And by the way, I'm not dictating your beliefs to you.
Fair point. Nor is it my intention to dictate my beliefs onto you or others.

>You dictacted them yourself by talking about your belief in 'god' not 'gods'.
Perhaps I could have been more in-depth while describing my views. To me "god" is merely a label to define a higher power. That higher power is a metaphysical concept not bound to any one such devotion or religious practice.

>It's a pretty safe bet that you're a monotheist.
Please don't underestimate other peoples capacity for belief, to me god is literally everything in existence. Regardless of what we as individuals perceive as good and bad it's my view that the entire universe operates in a gray area.
Heaven and hell are merely human concepts and my god isn't a judgmental or benevolent overlord.
>>
>>26344241
What I'm trying to convey is that our existence is completely subjective. What we base our logic off of is nothing. Our standards for how the world works is complete guess work.

You take too many liberties As to what you believe is objective. That's fine though as 99 percent of the population is with you; you'll never be questioned. You will always be right based out our arbitrary assumptions.

I challenge you to try to disprove logic. It's completely possible based on no logical fallacies, yet it lies beyond the limits of most minds as it requires you to completely reject any previous beliefs you've been indoctrinated to believe.
>>
>>26342316
>because it means they don't have to commit to any ideology
>protip: 90-something-% of the so-called committed ones are full of shit
Presuming you tip to the Dawkins' rhythm, chances are, you are too.

Accepting the notion that your consciousness (= what you are) is an illusion to supposedly elevate your euphoria is pants-on-head retarded, and not even the supreme gentleman could pull genuinely it off.
>>
>>26344364
Everything is subjective bro. You just ignore it for simplicity's sake.
>>
>>26344701
You're not addressing the original intent of the question which was to challenge the notion of objectivity which you falsely base your assumptions on.
>>
>>26342901
Some people just want to make the world a better place.
>>
>>26342004
never totally stopped believing in god since it helped me when i was younger and the friend of my mother punched me and my mother
>>
>>26342004
There's no teacher outside the school boy
>>
>>26345972
>writes the unemployable neet
>>
I never had the balls to be edgy
>>
>>26346014
Now that's a burn.
>>
>>26342940
I identify with everything you've said. Honestly I've never really seen Jehovah's Witnesses in the wild but whenever anyone mentions them on here a bunch of people say their family was also in the cult. I think there's a correlation between social isolation (couldn't celebrate birthdays/holidays ever) and insanely strict moral upbringing that leads us here.
>>
>>26343277
pretty sure you're the most dense here
>>
ITT: retards confuse agnostic beliefs with deistic beliefs and then argue about it
>>
>>26342455
what is the dead sea scrolls
>>
>>26343477
I think is because some people need to cling to something when the shit is always hitting the fan m8>>26343480
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (317KB, 1280x954px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
317KB, 1280x954px
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was only one.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

"You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?"

The Lord replied, "My precious child, I love you, and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."
>>
>>26346806
>shit happens in life
>overcome it through pure will or just dumb luck
>"EET WAS DUH LAWD BOI :)"

>shit happens in life
>don't make it by
>"DUH LAWD IS TEECHIN U A LESSON :)"

>shit happens in life
>die
>"EET WUZ HIS TAIME 2 MEET DUH LAWD :)"

it's literally a peasant mindset, you have to be fucking retarded to take this shit seriously, it's straight up the religion of "when something bad happens its your fault, but when something good happens its because of god"
>>
>>26342894
>you don't know if you belief God exists or not?
>belief
Idiot
>>
File: 1453178262528.jpg (93KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1453178262528.jpg
93KB, 620x670px
>>26342698
>Agnostics believe in god.
I can't believe that you're actually this fucking retarded
>>
File: images-13.jpg (7KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
images-13.jpg
7KB, 197x256px
>tfw Irish
>tfw have gone to mass once a week minimum for about 98 percent of the weeks I have been alive
>tfw it comforts me and priest's sermons often give me perspective
>>
File: Where would you rather live.png (55KB, 1368x612px) Image search: [Google]
Where would you rather live.png
55KB, 1368x612px
Just a reminder that everybody here would prefer to live in the "edgier" nations.
>>
>>26342375
Catholicism.
>>
Car was stolen today. Told myself it is in God's hands now.

Car is found with nothing wrong with it or damage. Even got to go to work today. Gas is a little gone, suggesting a small time joy ride. Still I believe in the mysterious of the divide.

God works in mysterious ways.
Thread posts: 246
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.