[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will learning a language make me an interesting person? Will

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1437858960888.jpg (1MB, 4558x4542px) Image search: [Google]
1437858960888.jpg
1MB, 4558x4542px
Will learning a language make me an interesting person? Will it help me make friends?

I'm thinking of learning Mandarin.
>>
>>26293850
Only if you put it to use and actually do something with it instead of using it as some social qualifier.
>>
Only if you're good looking.
>>
nope.

Unless you pick a language with less than 50 million native speakers or some shit. (Polish, Uzbek, Zulu.. get creative man)
>>
>>26293948
You might get a job as a translator or some shit for major languages, they have some practical benefits if you fail at making friends
>>
>>26293850
It couldn't hurt, but there are no guarantees in life. It's more a matter of whether or not you'll be willing to put in the effort it would require. Vague ambitions aren't enough to keep you in, you need to like the language enough that learning it is self-rewarding.
>>
>he can only speak one language
Kek typical American
>>
>>26294086
I don't know man, I just want normies to be impressed with me and become my friends. I know this is not a good motivation and will lead to me failing to learn Mandarin but I'm at a dead end.

I use to be pretty good at French at school years ago, I could pick it up again pretty fast but I don't give a shit about France.

China is a rising power, so maybe if I learn their language I can be like the head-slave and supervisor when China conquers the world and enslaves us all.
>>
>>26294240
Being impressed and being your friend are different things. To impress, accomplish laudable things (like learning a language). Making friends is more a personality thing. To be genuine, it's reciprocal. Sort of a mutual leaning-on. If you just want people to hang out with sometimes, that's more on shared interests than personal connection.

Mandarin is a decent choice. Might I suggest, instead, a pickup artist course? You don't have to use the knowledge it for anything sleazy, but it might help your confidence with other people.
>>
>>26294240
I speak three languages, (Eng, Ger, Rus) and I can tell you NOT to start with Chinese if you have no prior experience. Also China won't enslave us. Start with a european language first.
T. Person whose main board is /int/
>>
>>26294540
Yeah this. Took chinese in college and I got fucking rekt pretty hard. If you put in a lot of effort into it it might be impressive but learning that shit requires way too much effort, and I'm talking about at least 8 hrs of listening to tones per week and shit.
>>
>>26294504
I'm working on trying to be genuine, but the problem with that is that I'm genuinely a boring person who's only interest is anime. Whenever I try to get into conversation with everyone at work, they're all sharing stories about their lives and funny experiences they've had - I have nothing, no life experiences, nothing at all. And I just say the most cringe worthy, lame things just to pretend I'm taking part in their conversations.

I'll try to look up on some PUA videos on youtube to try to learn a bit about social interactions, thanks for the suggestion anon.

>>26294540
I don't know, I don't really find the West all that interesting, probably because I've lived here all my life and know nearly everyting there is to know about our history, georaphy, customs etc..

Eastern languages such such as Mandarin can give me some more insight into their culture, history etc which would be totally new for me and interesting.
>>
Learn mandarin?
What, you want to speak with citrus fruits?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.