[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wish social media and smartphones never existed.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

File: win-xp.jpg (37KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
win-xp.jpg
37KB, 650x300px
I wish social media and smartphones never existed.
>>
I would like to know why.
>>
Its just technology Anon, they're machines, they're not alive. Don't waste your wishes.
>>
File: 1430283889193.png (11KB, 363x349px) Image search: [Google]
1430283889193.png
11KB, 363x349px
>tfw facebook started getting popular when I was in grade 6
>didn't join because I didn't like to be social 24/7
>no friends by grade 8

F U C K SOCIAL MEDIA

I was a happy kid until this shit took over. Also, not underaged, i'm 19.
>>
What's the problem with smartphones?(if not used for facebook,etc)
>>
>>26212670

Using them for Facebook is fine. Using them for 4chan is fucking wrong and I wish all the normies they enable would just FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OF FUUUCKCKC OFFFFFFFFFF
>>
I wish phones didn't have cameras on them.

Like, if something embarrassing happens to me in public or i get my ass kicked in a fight normies will pull out their phones and film me.

That is my worst fear.
>>
i love my smartphone. i can shitpost on 4chan and emulate classic vidya anywhere i go.

social media, on the other hand, can take a shit and die.
>>
>>26212725
You actually get out of your bed and go on the computer? Fucking normie.
>>
File: 1434898572866.jpg (128KB, 358x350px) Image search: [Google]
1434898572866.jpg
128KB, 358x350px
>>26212628
>There are adults on this board who had Facebook in sixth grade
JUST
>>
>>26213482
you dinosaurs are fucking lucky you got to grow up like a normal kid without any social media intrusion.

jealous m8.
>>
I used to meet cool girls with geeky hobbies on Livejournal and IRC. Dated a couple of them too.

Nowadays though you have sites like Instragram where you build a shrine to yourself. Geek girls have been turned into Stacies since all they have to do is post a picture of themselves in an Evangelion shirt or something and hundreds of desperate nerds feed them attention. Social media ruins everything.

Smartphones need to go too. I know people who used to be into tabletop games and outdoor hobbies but now they're just staring at screens 24/7.

I wish all technology after 1998 would just magically stop working.
>>
>>26213517
Maybe in the next solar storm your wish will become true...
>>
>>26212628
>Facebook wasn't a thing until I was 19.

Sucks being old but I'm happy I could see 90s and early 2000s Internet.
>>
>>26213274
>doesnt realise that 4chan is social media

Posted this on my phone btw
>>
>>26213517

And there's no planning anymore. It's perfectly acceptable to essentially announce that you're going to wait for a better offer. Women especially love to quadruple-book themselves and/or flake since it makes them feel popular and wanted.

I used to have to meet friends at landmarks at certain times because we didn't have cell phones. You can bet people actually fucking showed up on time since you couldn't keep everyone waiting by texting "omw".
>>
>>26213517
You're a fucking idiot for wishing that
Think of everything created between now and then and not just "waaaah facebook and smart phones"
Hell this place was created after 98
>>
I kinda miss mid-00's Facebook since you had to have a college email address to join. It felt more fun and exclusive. No old relatives around.
>>
>>26213593
i personally like to think of it as "antisocial media"
>>
>>26213517
>I wish all technology after 1998 would just magically stop working.

This. Fuck cell phones, social media, and web 2.0 in general. Interactivity killed the internet.
>>
>>26213193

Yeah, it was definitely better when cameras were brought along for special occasions.

I just don't think most people can be trusted to use them responsibly, whether they're perverts taking creepshots or narcissists taking the 30th selfie of the day.
>>
>>26213730
honestly I just wish the internet would go away. No social media, all my sweet tech still there. Guess I'd have to actually leave my house to do shopping but that'd probably be better for me anyway. And I would have no place like this to wallow in misery.
>>
>People hate social media and smartphones

Why? The internet was garbage before those things got invented. The reason it was "nerds only" was because there was nothing to do and it wasn't fun.
>>
>>26212558
Social media and smartphones didn't cause your pain, OP. All they did was make plain the nature of the normie. "Best" case scenario in a world without them is that you would have lived like you did in middle/high school: thinking you had friends when in reality you were an outcast.
>>
The internet bent over the Middle Class and fucked it in the ass.

Sure, some IT jobs were created, but think about how many secretary jobs were eliminated. Nowadays there might be one secretary for a whole department thanks to e-mail and automation. How many stores were destroyed by Amazon and other online retailers?
>>
I think we can all agree that the internet was a mistake.

At least it had a pretty good run for a while.
>>
>>26212558
I like being able to access the internet 24/7 though

I'm an addict and I cant even hide it[/spoierl]
>>
When I was a teenager, people picked on me for spending all day in front of a computer.

Now, people pick on me for not having my head buried in a "smart"phone 24/7.

It's pretty funny how a couple decades causes everything to come around
>>
>>26214047

Same deal with video games. Playing vidya all day used to make you a loser. Now, god help you if you haven't played the latest Halo or Call of Duty turd.
>>
>Remember kids, never post your real information online!
>>
>>26213970
Pretty much this. Social media made visible the people who are clearly nothing like you.

The only reason I went into social media was because it contained game apps that friends who played similar games outside Facebook [when Facebook overrode the dwindling population of smaller games on game sites] advised me to go there. Unfortunately, I got a good eye of these people and temporarily (thank god) reciprocated that behaviour. It was only until my game on Facebook, too, went out of service that I stopped going there.

From a very young age I knew I wasn't like most people. I was fortunate in that regard because most people don't figure it out and they need things like Facebook to realize it.
>>
>>26214094

lel. Back in the 90's teachers made it seem like a rape squad would immediately arrive at your house if you revealed what city you lived in or what your first name was.

Nowadays, there really are tons of psychos trying to figure who you are.
>>
>>26214047

Agreed so hard.

But I think most of those people understand that what they're doing is wrong, at least on a basic level. And what is it with everyone who have their heads buried in their phones yet act like they're above it? I see those posts on facebook all the time, like the one with the little old lady watching the parade or the couples without their smartphones. People are "baka"ing in the comments from their smartphones.

I pray for the day that the always connected lifestyle goes out of fashion so I can have my genuine sit-down forum experience again uninterrupted by these casuals. It seems impossible but soon every poor will be connected without exception, and everyone who grew up with smartphones will be old. Then maybe the cool kids won't want to be like their lame grandparents and will stop documenting their keggers and baby bumps.
>>
>>26212558
I don't mind smartphones, but I loathe social media. It's narcissism ad nauseum. Also, I don't like people have 24 hour access to me. Privacy doesn't really exist anymore.

Facebook is the fucking worst. Instanormie isn't so bad. Twitter is just an endless stream of verbal diarrhea.
>>
>>26212558
Post yfw you realize 4chan is social media
>>
>>26214253
This place is a social cesspool.
>>
>>26214253
It is now, but it wasn't always.
>>
>>26213920
There were plenty things to do you fucking normie. Plenty of dumb useless shit, but entertaining no less, like flash sites and games. Nothing mattered except creative content made by tons of users who were exploring this new and exciting world, it was separated from reality.
Then social media came, and the internet instead of being something apart from reality, it became a tool for it. Something extra so normies could communicate more, attention whoring came and shit like upvotes and selfies took place everywhere. It was a comfy place before the normies took over and used the internet as a social tool.
I bet anything that doesn't involve social interaction is considered nothing to you, filthy normie.
>>
>>26213603

weird how no one mentioned this. I'm guilty of doing this as well. also people getting mad at you for not responding to their texts/calls in 5 minutes. I have so many friends who get angry over shit like this (again, I'm guilty of this too). before all this texting/social media everyone just hung out when they hung out. there was no need to be in touch 24/7, and I still don't see the point of being in touch 24/7.
>>
File: 1454259073737.jpg (470KB, 900x2002px) Image search: [Google]
1454259073737.jpg
470KB, 900x2002px
>>26213730
Would you classify the modern web as Web 2.0? For me, I'd argue we're past that in a new age where the majority of the content is being centralized onto a few main websites and the shift is towards mobile devices instead of desktop browsing. This takes place in the form of social media and mobile apps. I guess you could call it Web 3.0.

For me Web 3.0 is the real problem and the internet of the 2000s, Web 2.0, was still good.
>>
File: 1444144719531.jpg (25KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1444144719531.jpg
25KB, 396x385px
>people itt saying 4chan is social media
protip: "social media" doesn't just mean anything that involves people communicating
>>
>>26214253
We're not attention whoring, aren't we? We don't even know each other, we're screaming into an interactive void. It's not social media. The only social media aspect of 4chan is /soc/ and we all know that's the normiest part of the site.
>>
>>26214358
Social media is about humbly/subtly bragging and comparing your social life/status to others under the guise of "connecting to your friends closer than ever". 4chan is about discussion and not ego boosts. This is an imageboard and not a social network.
>>
>>26214354
>For me Web 3.0 is the real problem and the internet of the 2000s, Web 2.0, was still good.

Everything after 2006 (maybe the first half of 2007 if you really want to stretch it) has been garbage.
>>
I graduated from college w/o ever sending an email. I owned my first computer at 23. My first cell phone at 24.

Yeah, there are some slight procedural changes, but they don't mean much.

The biggest change is media has been decentralized. (politics and marketing)

It's not that big of deal really. Dynamics are dynamics.
>>
>>26214429
The problem is people making tons of money off the internet
>>
>>26214082
Vidya used to be an experience you could truly share with friends, just you and your bros playing in the same room but the online culture has changed that its almost an inconvenience to play in the same room
>>
>>26214354
Web 2.0 was the beginning of the end, IMO. 2007 was the nail in the coffin. Anything where people still used tables for formatting and included <marquee> and tiled backgrounds is kosher.
>>
>>26214496
web 2.0n wasn't even real. c'mon.
>>
>>26214576
Round borders, transparency, and a bunch of shit that took forever to load on 56k. I remember it, don't tell me it wasn't real.
>>
shit I wish I could back to 2016 when I was a 12 year old kid just learning how to use flash to make that shitty low frame rate animation of some dude getting shot and uploading that movie to newgrounds, only to see it get blammed (kudos if you know what getting blammed/saved means)
>>
>>26214358
you're right, but there's also an exchange of content on here, however bad it may be

>Social media is defined as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content."
>the creation and exchange of user-generated content.

fucking memes man. that said, i dig >>26213668's term for it
>>
File: back-to-the-future-delorean.jpg (402KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
back-to-the-future-delorean.jpg
402KB, 1920x1080px
>>26214652
>2016
Back to the Current Year
>>
>>26214730

shid, you fugger :DDD I meant 2006!!
>>
File: 1445132415998.gif (218KB, 584x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445132415998.gif
218KB, 584x720px
>>26214253
Is not

unless you are a tripfaggot.
>>
>>26214675
Nigga if everyone is anon it's not social. Use yr brain.
>>
Where do you guys stand on these early stage cancer websites? I'll start.

>DeviantArt, FanFic

This cancer somehow metastasized together to form a new and previously unseen supercancer known as Tumblr.

>Hardforum, Genmay, etc

These forums are still good but slightly embarrassing in that the userbases are 40 year old dudes role playing early-2000 internet and they don't even know it because the only other thing they use the internet for is Microsoft Flight Simulator and the occasional autocad updates.

>Livejournal/Deadjournal/Vampirejournal(lol)

The mother of all cancers. This is where it all began boys.

>Neopets

This cancer was eventually fatal. It did end up teaching many kids about html and social engineering and information security though. These sites originally kept all the mentally ill contained and when the host died the symptoms began appearing at Twitter, Tumbler, et al.
>>
smart phones aren't really the only problem

the real problem is cameras in phones.
>>
>>26214675

>what is BBS
>what is IRC
>what is Usenet

You poor little newborn baby. Consider THE one thing people used the early Internet for outside of document sharing: communicating with one another under assumed names. What else do you think there even was? Writing erotic fiction to score big points on perverted mailing groups is also an exchange of content.
>>
>>26214845
>blah blAh...neckbeard
>>
>>26214902
Nigga I'm 40, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Neckbeard nonsense tbqh
>>
>>26214845
Personally the only one I ever used was neopets. What you said about html and others is true. Not to mention a club for furries.
>>
>>26213517
this is me. a shutin loser who became friends with 7/10 geeky girls with no selfconfidence. shame im a fat cunt and never took advantage. oh but did i mention they turned into normies.
>>
File: (You).png (17KB, 1513x200px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
17KB, 1513x200px
>>26214675
4chan is only similar to traditionally-defined "social media" in that both groups of users are looking for some form of validation.
the huge, critical difference is that we're looking for validation anonymously, so that it's more special when we get it.
pic related :)
>>
>>26215055
>a long winded way of saying 'not similar'

Thanks anon
>>
>>26215119
i'd make shorter posts, but there's this robot, you see
>>
>>26215168

Not posting at all is worth trying
>>
>>26215308
i tried that for a long time and it was pretty unsatisfying
>>
File: image.jpg (802KB, 2208x2484px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
802KB, 2208x2484px
>>26213668
HOLY SHIT UR SO EDGY AND SMERT M8
NO ONE EVER COMMUNICATES WITH EACHOTHER ON SOCIAL MEDIA. WE ISOLATE EACHOTHER BY *SHARING*
>>
>>26213517
>I wish technology after 1998 would just stop working
>being this narcissistic
Say goodbye to your precise GPS and google maps, and google earth, and advanced smart phones. Say goodbye to more that half a gig of ram, say goodbye to low harddrive storage space, say goodbye to half life 2
Say goodbye to economic stability
Say goodbye to numerous medical advances, like making AIDS livable, better cancer treatment, and precise robotic surgery.
Say goodbye to the modern internet in general.
>>
File: dong ding.jpg (63KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
dong ding.jpg
63KB, 495x700px
>>26212558
>delete your social media account
>throw your smartphone in the ocean

wow look at that it's like magi now they don't exist in your world anymore

>>26212628
>tfw facebook started getting popular when you were 22 years old

>>26213668
>>26215504
SMART PHONES? THEN HOW COME THE PEOPLE WHO USE THEM ARE SUCH DUMMIES? LOL (That's internet-lingo for Lots of Laughs)
>>
What if someone just stood in the middle of Wall Street and yelled 'Cut'?
>>
File: train.jpg (66KB, 800x551px) Image search: [Google]
train.jpg
66KB, 800x551px
>>26212558
>yeah bro people before the normie internet were just so much more open and social
>>
File: dca.png (139KB, 349x415px) Image search: [Google]
dca.png
139KB, 349x415px
>>26215504
IS THERE ANYHTING FUNNER THAN IRONIC SHIITPOSTING!?!?!?!1
>>
Smart phones are fine but shit like facebook needs to die and stay dead.
>>
>>26215781
You didn't whip out a newspaper at the bar, or at the family dining table, or causally talking to a friend. You read the paper in the morning at breakfast or during your commute, and the articles were informative and useful for later social interaction during the day.

Source: I'm a fairly oldfag (40)
>>
>>26215904
I'm 30 and you and I both know that back then we had the same hysteria about kids and their anti-social gadgets except back then it was about Walkmans and Game Boys.

Plus if you wanted to ignore someone you would just ignore them.
>>
>>26215904
40 too.

PUHleeze. shit's the same.
>>
>>26216011
There's a major, major difference between Walkman's/Game Boys and cell phones; availability and utility.

Gadgets in the past were gadgets, they were useful only in certain contexts and nobody would be continually glued to a GameBoy unless they were autists or retards. Now, the norm is to be constantly engaged in digital stimulation, a permanent dopamine drip in the form of social media, time wasting games, and unlimited internet access from almost anywhere in the world. It's really the ultimate form of control for the younger people and has become far more life essential and invasive than any gadget from my childhood ever was.
>>
>>26212558
Just go lo-bro

low tec

I gave up all that shit in 2010 and ids kewl
>still using RaZr flip phone
>erased all social media pfofiles

It will make you feel more free than anything
>>
File: 1449332897667.jpg (46KB, 317x379px) Image search: [Google]
1449332897667.jpg
46KB, 317x379px
>>26212558
I wish I never existed
>>
>>26212593https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tatbX4flVXk

I don't understand, what do you want?

You're jus a machine!
>>
>>26214652
Super duper flash tutorial. Remember that? The ultimate showdown? Madness interactive?

Omg I want to go back in time
>>
>>26216192
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tatbX4flVXk

wojak
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.