[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /inarticulate/? >try to explain that I don't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: le edgy pic.jpg (110KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
le edgy pic.jpg
110KB, 500x331px
Who here /inarticulate/?

>try to explain that I don't mind immigrants but I understand people's paranoia
>end up making myself out to be a giant racist

>understand English perfectly
>try to write a short story
>reads like a complete douche or a 4 year old child
>>
>>26185700
I'm in the same boat as you are, robot. Though being an English major helps with keeping my spaghetti in my pocket.
>>
>>26185700
>I'm fine with immigrants but some people are just racist I guess.

If you want to remain neutral while recognizing that there is a viewpoint which others hold and which goes against your target audience's viewpoint, you must not show that you understand any of it's logic. Merely assert your median viewpoint and assert that contrary views exist. "I'm x but some people are y."

If you display knowledge of the logic of a viewpoint, you essentially display that you agree with that viewpoint. (If you're speaking to idiots who are unable to examine a contrary viewpoint) If you display knowledge of why you understand paranoia concerning refugees (who are harmless angels to some people) then you display that you are paranoid about refugess, and therefore a dirty god damn racist.
>>
I feel like a legit retard on here sometimes.

Even though English isn't that hard for me my brain sometimes makes it so fucking hard to post on here, I'm pretty sure I'm getting dumber by the day.
>>
>>26185700
Same here tbqh familia. I forget words all the time and my writing come off as mechanic and stiff. I guess it's because how rarely I communicate. thesaurus.com is a godsend though.
>>
The problem isn't you, it's the fact that leftists shut down and cry racism whenever anyone disagrees with them.
>>
>>26185700
>tfw the 4chan posting style + NEETdom has ruined your ability to form coherent sentences or present anything in an informative fashion

sentence fragments and insults are the primary form of communication here so writing anything longer than a paragraph comes off as disjointed mess
>>
I speak in riddles like an autist, and when I try to be clear I end up rambling about garbage. Anything other than yes or no is hard. I don't even care.
>>
>>26185821
>If you display knowledge of the logic of a viewpoint, you essentially display that you agree with that viewpoint. (If you're speaking to idiots who are unable to examine a contrary viewpoint)
That's fucking stoopid. With 99% of the things I have an opinion on, I at least understand where the opposing side is coming from. Now I have to add all that to my shit-I-can't-say list? God damnit.
>>
File: file.png (126KB, 284x253px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
126KB, 284x253px
>>26185700
I lack communication skills in general. I feel like there's a huge disconnect between who I am on the inside and the guy I am on the outside who just goes along with the present situation. There's times where I feel like screaming and not a single word comes out of my mouth. I just want to be alone so no one can influence the outside me.
>>
File: hopper.png (59KB, 200x206px) Image search: [Google]
hopper.png
59KB, 200x206px
Man being inarticulate is the worst.
The worst part is that I am able to type my opinions fairly effectively but due to autism unable to communicate on ANY level with people in the real world.

>At work (work in a factory, got this job through nepotism)
>On break
>sitting on the side of the table
>take out a pot of peanuts
>I usually bring in a pot of peanuts with some seasoning then season the peanuts in the dining area
>someone looks at me
>'hey anon why don't you have a bar of chocolate or something?'
>want to explain that I have the peanuts due to their high protein and fat content making for better use in such a physical environment
>want to do it in a way which incorporates physical movement and metaphors
>decide to say 'because the bear who eats the salmon can evade the poachers for longer than he whom eats from the picnic basket of marshmallows'
>accidentally start stuttering
>wiggle my hand to represent a salmon
>'Bears eat salmond'
>not a typo, I pronounced the d
>person looks at me
>'errr... they sure do buddy'
>goes back to eating his meal

Jesus I JUST WANT TO EXPLAIN MYSELF
>>
>>26186023
that's how I feel but couldn't explain it, does that make me even dumber
>>
>>26186167
Instead of believing you can't say it, I recommend you choose to believe that it is a waste of time to explain contrary viewpoints to people who are uninterested or actively hostile to said viewpoints. Why bother?

>>26186168
"Self-awareness" is NOT awareness of yourself. Self-awareness is the awareness that OTHERS are aware of YOU, and that there are certain social rules which others expect you to follow.

Your post reminds me a lot of my own feelings about being alone. It's convenient to avoid putting in the effort to follow social convention. If I were to abstain from social conventions in social settings, I am aware that others would perceive me as an ass. If I abstain from social conventions by myself, then I am aware that there is no one to perceive me as anything at all, and I am therefore saved some stress by being alone.
>>
>>26186246
>The worst part is that I am able to type my opinions fairly effectively but due to autism unable to communicate on ANY level with people in the real world.
This desu famiglia. Back in school my teachers always praised my writing, but I just can't speak at all
>>
Sometimes i give up on sentences halfway through them.
Its annoying as fuck becuase i been told that i have a posh accent and i know big words, but cant seem to sound like anything other than a fuckin idiot.
Tbh the only reason people think im smart is because i can use big words, i dont even know if i am smart.
>>
>>26186246

You have to learn to enunciate.

Look up public speaking tips. If you learn this, you'll notice that some of the best public speakers utilize the same fundamental techniques. Chances are you want to say everything in one smooth phrase, but don't worry about talking slowly, pausing, and putting emphasis on words. Speaking is kind of like playing an instrument. You have to practice.

But be careful with your peanuts, some people are deathly allergic.
>>
>>26186366
kek, iktf. it's almost like remembering what you started the sentence with is too much effort
>>
File: 1417567629457.png (98KB, 314x335px) Image search: [Google]
1417567629457.png
98KB, 314x335px
>>26186431
>practice speaking with deliberation so i dont mumble
>notice it starts working, people understand me
>then one person makes it clear that you are talking slowly and autistically

back to mumbling
>>
>>26186023
I get this sometimes. Large concepts are easier to explain by analogy than by the actual underlying mechanics. For instance, it is very convenient to compare electric current to water flowing in a pipe, and resistors to small sections of pipe which limit the flow.

Keeping in mind the full mechanics of an idea or theory is very difficult. Remembering an analogy is easy.

>>26186168
>>26186332 again
>I just want to be alone so no one can influence the outside me.
Is this equivalent to "I just want to be alone so that no other peoples' opinions of me will require me to act differently than I would wish to act without their opinions of me"?

Remember that opinions are not real in the sense a broken arm or a 200 foot fall are real. If you are aware that someone thinks you're weird, that's not as bad as the awareness that your left thigh has just been blown to bits

Opinions are really very feeble things, and most of our objection to them comes from our belief in their power
>>
>>26186439
Yeh i usually just shrug and sigh when words get too hard.
>>
>>26186246
This is so simple as to make me feel rude for pointing it out, but if you want to explain "I have the peanuts due to their high protein and fat content making for better use in such a physical environment" you can just tell him "I have the peanuts due to their high protein and fat content making for better use in such a physical environment" or, even better, "I eat these for their high protein and fat content."

There's no need to get grandiose about peanuts, especially if speaking at length is difficult for you. Or if you are harboring secret doubts that they might not understand such a lengthy analogy, WHILE you are trying to tell it to them.
>>
>>26186431
OK
I posted that story,
These are two vocaroos

This is me saying 'but be careful with your peanuts' in my normal voice
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1nL6o3xgTyS

This is me trying to enunciate
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XxNlKXc6aj

Do you think people will understand that better?
>>
>>26186168
I feel this on the deepest of levels
>>
>>26186332
>>26186487
I never said anything about self-awareness or opinions. When I'm around people, I feel like I have no control over my actions and I just agree with whatever they're saying/doing. It's like I'm watching my body do whatever the other person wants it to do. I've basically been robbed a couple times because of this. The only defense I have is to not be around people. It's honestly painful for me to be around others and I have no idea what to do.
>>
why is speaking so difficult
I have NEVER had a thought I felt I verbalised correctly.
>>
>>26186168
This basically. On the inside I intuitively understand everything I say to myself. But once I have to use words for other people, it's like I lose 90% of my intelligence. I'm of average intelligence in my own head, imagine what I sound like when I try explaining shit to other people.
>>
File: giggol.gif (978KB, 154x154px) Image search: [Google]
giggol.gif
978KB, 154x154px
>>26186246
>>wiggle my hand to represent a salmon
>>'Bears eat salmond'
Jesus Christ what the fuck.
>>
>>26186689
Okay you got me faggot.
>>
File: 1453999052906.jpg (35KB, 428x439px) Image search: [Google]
1453999052906.jpg
35KB, 428x439px
I have schizophrenia so I have a lot of trouble with language. I phrase things really awkwardly and go off on tangents without meaning to. Also, during conversations with me there are lots of moments of silent pauses. Like, I can't think of anything to say. So to fill in that empty space, I just say the first thing that comes to mind. It's always some strange topic that just jumped in my head. Then they ask, "What made you think of that?" and I don't know how to answer.
>>
>>26186848
I suppose we have separate problems then. I've been reading a lot about consciousness and theory of mind recently, so some of my conclusions may be irrelevant to your situation.

What I was getting at is that our brain not only calculates our own interests and desire, it calculates the interests and desires of other people, as well.

Let's say you are faced with a social situation in which others are making demands of you, and you yourself feel some disagreement about these demands. Your brain recognizes two things: One, that another wants something from you, and Two, that you want something from you. Your brain must now make a choice with these two facts as input.

If, as you seem to suggest, you brain ALWAYS puts demands of others above your own, then your brain will go with whatever decision satisfies the others' demand, and ignore your own.

Sounds really fucking shitty.

>basically been robbed a couple of times because of this
Good god.
>>
>>26188192
When they ask "what made you think of that?" you should go on an autistic rant about free will.

>Why did you choose to ask me that question?
>Did you first decide that you ought to decide whether or not to ask me that question?
>On what basis did you choose the specific shapes that your mouth made to speak that sentence?
>Why is your posture the way it is right now? Did you come up with that off the top of your head?

The answer is always "Dunno, I just did it."

Or, in your case, you can tell them that schizophrenics are much more "fast and loose" with ideas, quickly building together trains of thought with seemingly completely unrelated beginnings and endings.
>>
>>26188192
Man you sound just like me. I actually rehearse conversations and spend a lot of time writing and speaking to myself aloud to try and make myself more coherent. Once I get to that plateau of actually imparting the information and thoughts that I want to in a precise manner I don't feel as stressed out or ridiculous, but things can throw me and suddenly I'm back to being completely unable to string sentences together that aren't a stock-standard response which is vaguer than a politicians response.
>>
File: 1453935988211.png (45KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1453935988211.png
45KB, 750x750px
>>26188478
I don't really like to trick people. I try to tell them it's because of my illness, but they don't understand and they think there's some hidden meaning that I'm hiding from them. Lots of people think schizophrenia is only hallucinations and delusions, when there's all these other symptoms that get ignored. The disorganized behavior is the most disabling, I think. More than the psychotic symptoms. Because it makes me forget to eat or change my clothes or take a shower.

>>26188527
I talk to myself a lot. I imagine that there are two or three people watching over whatever I am doing, and they have conversations or fights with each other. I don't use it for practice though, in fact it probably makes less sense than my regular conversations with other people. Sometimes they start talking about something really ridiculous, and I have to stop because I'm laughing too hard.
>>
>>26188790
>trick people
But isn't that true? From what I've read schizophrenics over-link ideas and thoughts. So something like word salad, even though it's full-on gibberish, could in some very abstract and drawn out way be somehow comprehensible?
>>
>>26188897
Yeah, that's all true, I wasn't talking about that. I meant going on an autistic rant about free will. That feels like trickery. I don't say word salads, but I do think them sometimes. I don't think they can be made comprehensible. I can't find any logic in them, and I'm the one thinking them. It kinda feels like ideas are being planted in your brain by some invisible person. So you start thinking half a sentence about this idea, then half about that idea, then a few words about another idea, and so on. I can't ever see any rational connection in these thoughts.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.