[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who can't understand people who're

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (21KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 640x360px
Am I the only one who can't understand people who're overly moral? Like people who randomly find a million dollars in a duffle bag and then turn it into the police. What's the point, right?
>>
I would think it's a trick or a prank.
>>
If I found a million dollars I would assume I was set up.

I once found a few hundred in a money clip at work and imagined going to prison once they looked at the cameras and saw me taking it, is that what would've happened?

I turned it to the front desk to protect myself
>>
>>26177244
That might be someone's entire life's savings. Someone had all of their money with them and then lost it. They are now completely ruined, their family is ruined etc.

Alternatively, it's illega drug money and using it might get you arrested.

If society just did whatever it wanted, we would collapse, money doesn't bring happiness and won't make you any happier, but knowing that you did the right thing and rose above your petty instinct of "ME ME ME" grants you a sense of fulfillment and character.

I wound a backpack once that had a 10000 euro in it once, I turned it into the police and they found the guy it belonged to like almost immediately. He gave me 100 euro and thanked me profusely and said that he literally emptied his entire bank account and forgot his backpack by accident, if not for me, he'd be homeless.

You can always get a job and get money. But we as a society need to look out for each other, because if we don't, we're no better than a bunch of niggers in Africa.
>>
>>26177244
They're might be scared, stupid or both.

There's a reasonable risk that if you take the money you might end up in jail or dead.

If you know you can't handle the risks or the jailtime, you give the money back.

On top of that, some people truly believe this is just the right thing to do.
They might feel like they could be the victim.
It might be the pensions of a dozen people or money for a hospital etc.

And some of them just want the praise.
They don't care about the money as much as they care for the praise and emotional attachment with others.

But very few people would give in 1 million.
10k? Maybe. 1 million? dunno.
>>
>>26177265
Yeah, but what if you knew it was real? Let's say the person who finds the million dollars in the hypothetical is also a professional money inspector?
Anyway, that's besides the point I'm trying to figure out why some people need to be upstanding citizens to the max.
>>26177288
Alright, let's change the hypothetical completely. Let's say someone saw you key someone else's car and you threatened to call the cops, but he offered you $10,000 to forget about what you saw. If you choose not to take the money and call the cops, why? Why would anyone do that?
>>26177311
Fulfillment of character, hmmmm. So that's it? It gives you some "I better than though" ego boost? You're a better man than me I guess.
>>
>>26177378
>Fulfillment of character, hmmmm. So that's it? It gives you some "I better than though" ego boost? You're a better man than me I guess.

No, did you not read my post?

You have to learn to feel empathy for people and imagine yourself in their shoes. And if you're going to say "But they don't do it for me!" then you're a fucking retarded faggot.

Imagine how much better society would be if we all had empathy for each other and we looked out for each other, because at the end of the day we're all people. If something happened to, wouldn't you want people to help you? Well then you need to do so yourself. Treat others how you want to be treated. A society in which we're all brothers can't harm us, because we all look out for each other, we all help each other and stuff won't have as big of an effect on us.
>>
you need to be 18 to be here
>>
>>26177244
Honestly, I'm so desperate for a dollar right now, if I found a bag or a clip of money, I'd fucking snatch it and run. JUST fucking run until I made sure no one was following me.
Then I'd live a more satisfying life.

If only.
>>
>>26177378
>professional money inspector
Nigga what
>>
>>26177436
> And if you're going to say "But they don't do it for me!" then you're a fucking retarded faggot.
Not him, but why? They wouldn't do it.
>>
>>26177514
So be the example that you want other people to be like. Just because someone else is a gigantic faggot, doesn't mean you should be one as well. Not because of other people, because YOU don't want to be a faggot and you'll be in a better state of mind because of it.
>>
In Australia, there was a case recently where a couple bought a couch from an Op shop. I don't know what you call them over there, thrift store? The couch had something like 10 grand stuffed in it. They kept the money, and got arrested for it. Apparently they got tracked down because they used plastic. Moral of the story is fuck yeah, I would keep the money, as long as I could get away with it.
>>
>>26177506
English is not my first language.

However, many people make money inspecting notes circulating in the economy. They work for banks.
>>
>>26177527
>Not because of other people, because YOU don't want to be a faggot and you'll be in a better state of mind because of it.
That doesn't work though. That better state of mind is a great example of irrational altruism. You feel better because you think being selfless is going to earn you good-boy points. It's weakness.
>>
>>26177244
Declare yourself a spiritual desert.
>>
>>26177553
You keep missing the point. We don't sacrifice for the better of others, we sacrifice for the benefit of ourselves.
>>
>>26177620
There is no benefit in sacrificing yourself. The good feeling you have is just something the society has taught you to have. To make sure that you won't hesitate to sacrifice yourself.
>>
>>26177620
If it's for the benefit of yourself, than why not just skip all of the 'what goes around comes around' mantra and pocket the money?
>>
>>26177553
No it's not. A selfless act isn't done for "good boy points" you retarded faggot, you do it because you WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO BE BETTER and because you know that YOU CAN. Everyone should have the belief that there is someone much worse off than them and they want to help this person as a fellow human being.

The world will be a much better place because of it. Obviously you might not change the world, you probably won't, most faggots will remain greedy, faggots, but you can have a provincial, impactful change of a small community, even if it's just a couple of people and help those persons to live better lives and to create a ripple affect as an example of what a person could be.

If everyone just kept asking themselves "What's in it for me" we'd still be in the stone age, because there's a higher level of self-devotion to things. Not because you want "good boy points" and not because it feels good, because you can and you should, because we live short lives and we don't reach a lot of people, but within our circles, our towns, our communities, our groups we can have at least a minimalistic affect on the mentality of the average person and their well-being. At the end of the day, your life is measured by what you left behind.

Yeah sure, you can steal a bunch of money, you can be an asshole to people, you can only care about yourself, but what have you left behind? A bunch of angry people, regrets and overall no positive influence on anybody. But if you make a positive change and the positive change that you made ripples off into more positive changes, then even if you don't accomplish anything in your life, you can at least die knowing that you did your best as person and you didn't let other people's greed, society's "standards" and other people bitterness ruin you. Living around people who help each other is a great feeling and even if you don't experience it, you can at least try and be the person that you want other people to be like.
>>
>>26177640
>>26177647
Read the section in Plato's Republic on justice
>>
>>26177648
>you do it because you WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO BE BETTER
Why should I want that? I'm not even trying to be edgy. So far I thought that only reason there was is that if you don't, others will shun you and hate you. I never really imagined there could be an actual reason.

Why should I care about all the things you've said? Why should I care about what have I left behind? I don't believe in reincarnation, soul or any of that. What happens after I die is of no concern to me.

I get that I sound edgy. And I mean it's fine to say that people should be good because otherwise the society will hate them. And that they are basically doing it out of fear. But don't pretend there is any actual reason.
>>
You, being a degenerate, wouldn't understand the value of having principals, and so any effort would be wasted on you, I'm afraid.
>>
File: large.jpg (97KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
97KB, 500x333px
It may sound silly, but I do good things just because it's what I would want the others to do to me. Obviously I'm not a saint who sacrifices himself for other people's sake, but if I have the chance to do something good then why not
>>
>>26177244
But imo that's literally THE point of life lol. Either you're religious and it's obvious why you do good things. Or, you're atheist and you think everyone having a good life is obviously inherently better than one person having a good life at the expense of others.
>>
>>26177244
A million in a dufflebag is definitely not something I want to keep.
I'd take a couple thousand out and turn in the rest.
There's not really a way to turn an illicit million in cash into a financial asset.
A safer bet is grabbing a couple grand, as much as I can feasibly carry and use without attracting attention and turning the rest in.
After a certain time, if nobody picks it up, the finder can claim it as their own.
Since something like that is near certainly illegal, nobody is going to try getting it back from the police.
Plus, in the worst case I still get a percentage of the value as reward for finding it. A completely legal and clean 50 grand is still p neat and better than a million you can't take to a bank.
>>
It's been proven that giving makes you happier then taking
>>
>>26177244
>What's the point, right?

There is a point where you accept morality on a personal level, when you do the right thing not because you care about how other people perceive you or because you're worried about being punished or receiving some reward for "doing the right thing" but you live a moral life because you truly believe and understand that being a good person will give you far greater happiness and satisfaction than anything you might gain momentarily from immoral action.

At this point you start to feel a genuine pity for people who would lie and cheat and steal in pursuit of happiness because you know how false and fleeting that happiness is when compared to the true happiness of living a moral life.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.