[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone play the violin or cello? Anyone want to start? I want

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

Anyone play the violin or cello?
Anyone want to start?

I want to buy a cello soon, but the price tag for a decent one, along with a teacher is pretty high. I thought about self teaching as well.
>>
most places will have a scheme in place to rent an instrument. I played for six years using and instrument rented from the council. Look into music schemes and courses as well.

As for teaching it's very hard to get good with self teaching unless you're already very musical because it's difficult to identify why and how you're making mistakes to start with.
>>
>>26107667
I've learned enough music theory to play, but I just havent picked anything up yet. I dont like to rent, i'll just save forb one.

do you still dabble?
>>
I played the cello for about 10 years.
Way harder than bass or guitar.
Even if you give it up, a cello makes a great decoration.
>>
>>26107855
I'm doing my diploma at the moment and the Elgar cello concerto is on the syllabus so it's pretty much perfect motivation. Lots of fun to learn and I get a cool piece of paper.
>>
I played violin throughout middle and highschool, but once I got out, I was too cheap to just buy a decent violin (and plus I live in an apartment and didn't want to piss off my neighbors by playing every day), so I stopped playing and fell out of practice.

I really would like to get back into it one of these days, though. Violin is a really fucking fun, versatile instrument. There's so much movement to it, you can be really expressive. I always really enjoyed playing fast old fiddle tunes, you really get going with those.
>>
>>26108089
Start as soon as possible. Never put your life on hold for others around you. Think about how much you think of other people. Same shit with them.
>>
Double bass player here, I play cello when I'm asked to
>>
>>26108158
Double bass is comfy too.
>>
>>26108142
Well, these days, I wouldn't even starting again from the angle of making my neighbors mad. All of my nice old quiet neighbors moved out, and I'm surrounded by rude, loud assholes these days.

Admittedly, though, I guess another thing that stopped me from practicing was my mom (who I still live with). I generally practiced at school, but one day I took my violin home to practice a very difficult song. Naturally, just practicing, I sounded poorly. Well, my mom sure let me know how terrible I sounded, giving me shit and laughing at me the rest of the day. Even though I was considered one of the best violinists in my class, that shit did fuck with my self confidence regarding playing/practicing. You're right, though. It's not a talent I should let go to waste.
>>
>>26108404
>giving me shit and laughing at me the rest of the day. Even though I was considered one of the best violinists in my class, that shit did fuck with my self confidence regarding playing/practicing. You're right, though. It's not a talent I should let go to waste.
That fucking feel, thats why I stopped playoing violin in the first place
>>
>>26108218
It really is, I love playing
>>
File: 1397104781716.png (252KB, 335x335px) Image search: [Google]
1397104781716.png
252KB, 335x335px
>>26108430
I don't even know if she really believed it, either, I think she just didn't like the noise and didn't want me practicing at home anymore. Still, it was really fucked. Every time I started trying to play, she would just come in and laugh directly at me. She was/is generally not that much of a cunt, either, so it made me think at the time she was being really genuine in hating me playing. I remember her stupid fucking face chuckling at me to this day. The few times I've brought up the possibility of picking back up the violin these days, she gives me the same stupid face and reminds me of how bad I was. Which isn't true at all. God, now that I'm starting to think about it all again, I'm getting really pissed off.
>>
>>26108536
Fucking do it and shove sibelius down her throat
>>
>>26107606
I like the cello a lot, but I really want to play bach. Bach made a lot more pieces for solo violin than he did for solo cello, and I dont even like the cello suites that much.
>>
>>26108615
There are Bach arrangements for literally every instrument
>>
>>26108694
So i can play this on the cello?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G2ciZjQtpU
>>
>>26108563
God, I don't even know where I'd start these days. I'm so out of practice (which also means if I did start pick up and playing, she would just bully me even harder). I'm sure I've lost my ear, too. I wonder how much a non-shit starter violin goes for these days?
>>
>>26108735
lol I acutally found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoosNDH56hQ
>>
>>26108773
Just save 200 bucks and just practice every day for an hour or two. Buy a practice mute if you have to. Lock your door. Just focus on this and make sure you feel like no one is around and start from the beginning, scales.
>>
>>26108789
Even if it didn't previously exist you could still plug the original violin part into a notation program, put it in bass clef, and bring it down an octave or so
>>
>>26108806
>Buy a practice mute if you have to.
How well do those work? I've always considered getting one. Is the sound quality still decent, and how quiet do they make the violin?
>>
>>26108862
I have one, and to be honest, your next door neighbors wont hear you. It'll feel loud to you obviously because youre close, but they work pretty damn well. Cut about 60% of the volume
>>
>>26108847
What program? There are so many pieces I want to play, holy shit.
>>
If anyone wants a coach(?) for music and the like I'm pretty decent at explaining things and play a wide variety of instruments, if you want any help with any music stuff I can help over Skype or steam, Skype preferably.
>>
>>26108887
Ah, well, thanks for the info, m8. I guess I'll look into it. I really should start back up again, it would be such a shame to let it all go to waste just because people are cunts. I've just become really self conscious about how I'd sound since it's been so long.

Sorry about your missed quads, by the way.
>>
>>26108930
I'm
>>26108954
Drop your Skype and I can give you some leads and tips when I get home, if you don't mind
>>
>>26108962
Yeah dude. The sooner you start again, the better. Don't be that guy who regrets it later in life and starts up again after a 20year hiatus
>>
>>26107606
I actually do play cello, I have about 6 years of experience from school. If you leave a throwaway contact, I can give you some tips and stuff
>>
>>26109021
Yeah, is e-mail ok?
>>
>>26109044
Sure, I might respond later tonight because I have to do grocery shopping though
>>
>>26109066
Hey no worries, anything helps.

[email protected]
>>
>>26108954
Here, sorry I forgot I have an email too, tfwnodomgf@gmail. Feel free to hit me up regardless of what instrument you wanna learn
>>
>>26108962
Anon, you'll look back after a few years of starting to play again and really appreciate it. Don't waste your gift.
>>
>>26107606
I so fucking want to.
But I gave up before even tried.
>>
>>26109330
Why? It's so fulfilling
>>
>>26109330
Is it money?
Transportation?
Neighbors?
Just a lot to handle?

Some people walk, and some people run, but the people who stand still never stood a chance.
>>
>>26109437
Good way of putting it
>>
>>26108536
It's fine to sound bad while practicing. You're not giving a performance, after all.
>>
I've played cello for about 12 years now.

You should either buy a used one or rent if you are just starting. They can get pricey and if you aren't dedicated to learning you don't want a $1500+ instrument laying around collecting dust.

Highly recommend as an instrument though. It's up there with piano in "pussy slayer" tier.
>>
>Want to learn violen as a child
>Father tells me violen is gay and keeps pushing string guitar
>The only music he plays is shitty rockabilly or the same wilberries album
>too old to learn violen now properly probably
just
>>
>>26108536
holy fuck this made me angry. Did she expect you to play like perlman straight away? Your mother is the stupidest cunt, next time you see her anon, tell her to go fuck herself and that she is a horrible parent and should feel ashamed of herself. Its most likely because she wishes she could play but sucks so fucking much she bashes you, her son. Holy fuck.
>>
File: 1414783199196.jpg (74KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1414783199196.jpg
74KB, 900x900px
>>26111419
>Its most likely because she wishes she could play but sucks so fucking much she bashes you, her son.
You know, I think this is honestly it, sort of. She just got home not too long ago, and I told her I was going to start playing again. I didn't really bring up the way she had treated me in the past, but I sort of made it a point to mention that she had never really heard me play in my prime (I don't think she ever actually went to one of my concerts or music evaluations), and she only ever heard me practicing.

Rather than react negatively like I expected her too, she started talking about how she was always horrible at music and didn't enjoy playing instruments, but her parents (namely her father, who was extremely strict and mean to her) forced her into it and tried to force her to play for years and years, all kinds of different instruments. I almost wonder if that has something to do with the horrible way she acted back then. I brought it up afterwards, and she said she never intended for me to take it all so harshly (she admittedly can have a pretty mean, direct, bizarre sense of humor) and apologized.

I'm still upset at the way she treated me, but I guess it maybe makes a bit more sense now.
>>
does anyone know how I can find a half decent left handed violin/cello/double bass?
>>
>>26112670
You don't need a left handed version, they're basically symmetrical instruments anyways.
It really doesn't make much of a difference even if you play right handed as a leftie
>>
File: 1410662094856.gif (2MB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
1410662094856.gif
2MB, 250x220px
>>26107606
I play violin.

>I thought about self teaching as well.
pic related
>>
Violin here. Expect to be a squeaky shit for a while. Get a book and learn how to pluck the notes first.
>>
>>26112670
You're supposed to play it right handed no matter what your dominant hand is. Either way, fingering (huehuehue) is done with the left hand, and that's the hardest part.
>>
>>26114092
Self teaching violin is probably doable if you have played an instrument for a while and have a good ear, but it's always going to be far less effective than a good teacher.
>>
Ive had a violin for two years and still dont know how to play it. I want to take clases but im assuming theyre going to want me to read sheet music, which i dont know how to do and dont have any interest in knowing
>>
>>26114747
>read sheet music, which i dont know how to do and dont have any interest in knowing
It takes like a week to learn, the only hard part is if you're going to play guitar or bass as you can play the same note in too many places.
>>
>>26114747
>want to play music
>dont want to read sheet music
sure. just take the easy way out and kill yourself :))
>>
>>26115094
>>want to play music
>>dont want to read sheet music
>sure. just take the easy way out and kill yourself :))
just take the easy way out and strum 4 chords on an acoustic
>>
>>26115094
Ive been playing guitar for 6 years and i play 8 other instruments
>>
>>26115886
What else do you play?
>>
>>26115886
>you must be a natural faggot then
>>
>>26115886
why don't you want to learn to read sheet music?
>>
>tfw pianofag
>>
>>26111348
Its never too late, thats a fucking myth. Its too late to be a fucking world renown concert violinist, but you could play at around 90% of their level if you practice for 15 years
>>
>>26117621
Piano fags are cool too.
Comfy I guess.
I just like strings more
>inb4 piano is a string
yeah, kinda but you know what I mean
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.