[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What finally pulled you out of depression? I sure can't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: 1453011392677s.jpg (11KB, 250x168px) Image search: [Google]
1453011392677s.jpg
11KB, 250x168px
What finally pulled you out of depression? I sure can't get out of it.
>>
File: ma3.jpg (14KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
ma3.jpg
14KB, 360x270px
>>25982302
I don't think many people here have 'overcome' depression
if that's even possible
>>
>>25982335
Probably should have said for those of you who got out
>>
File: dont.jpg (174KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
dont.jpg
174KB, 500x392px
>>25982302
>yfw one of the threads underneath this one is about suicide.
>>
>>25982302
For me, it was a matter of time between me and the event that caused my initial depression, and developing coping mechanisms for my life and events afterwards. The coping mechanisms helped me deal with other, unrelated things that may have otherwise begun a cycle.

However, I really can't stress enough that depression isn't always the same. My depression was clear-cut caused by something, so I could deal with it.

Do you know why you're depressed? Is it something specific? Or are you an unfortunate person who has issues with brain function/chemistry? If you don't know, go see someone.

While always important to have coping mechanisms, they won't always cut it, especially if you have issues with dopamine balance (one of the causes of clinical depression).

>tl;dr if there's a reason, try to get over it, and if your brain is sick, go to a shrink and find ways to treat it, cause trying to beat clinical depression on your own is difficult at best

Hope I helped.
>>
>>25982302

Dreams. Actual sleeping experiences, not "goals" or "hopes". I don't care about those. The only journal I ever kept was a dream journal. That's where all the action happened. "Real life" was just me sitting in front of screens or buried in books.
>>
>>25982302
Just decided that I needed to man up one day, nothing more to it.
>>
>>25982302
What is depression but a frame of mind? Can you really not change your frame of mind? How have you not killed yourself?
>>
>>25982469
Actual good advice here.

Not even depressed, but keeping a dream journal has made me inmensely happy and always puts me in a good mood. Especially now that I can remember 2-3 dreams per night, with at least one of those with perfrct clarity.

Next up I'm training for them dank lucid dreams.
>>
>>25982335
>depression
>real

Pick one retard
>>
>>25982302
I'm probably still depressed but I've had a really nice manic mood swing for the past 3 days! Hope that helps!
>>
I wish there could actually be a discussion about depression here but these threads always quickly devolve into a debate whether depression is real or not.
>>
>>25982302
>seeing a psychiatrist for 7 mo
>Taking meds for 9 mo
>following kpop as a hobby

Off meds now and feel pretty normal for a couple months now
>>
>>25982302
Cut off relationships that were toxic and tied me down, strengthened relationships that made me want to improve myself
>>
>>25982545
You can't imagine depression until you're in it, and once you're in it you're stuck in it forever. We can't discuss how to escape depression any more than we can discuss how to escape a black hole. Once you're in it, you're fucked.

So there's two types of people in this thread, depressed robots, and normies who think depression doesn't exist. The people who have escaped depression are dead.
>>
File: depression_s1_mayo.jpg (36KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
depression_s1_mayo.jpg
36KB, 493x335px
>>25982516
I love the depression isn't real meme

you wouldn't happen to know what a 'hippocampus' is would you?
>>
I wrote a song. It's really catchy and it says "I don't give a fuck, who gives a fuck". Every time something negative happened I sung to myself "I don't give a fuck, who gives a fuck" in my mind and then stopped caring. Eventually instead of being sad I was just neutral. It took several months but nowadays I just don't care about things instead of depressing myself. I'm still a miserable excuse of a person but at least I don't give a shit.
>>
>>25982302
The only thing that can do it is yourself. That being said I only manage to pull out of it for a couple months at a time before spiraling back into it.
>>
>>25982605

It's a school in Africa on the banks of the Nile.
>>
Any of you guys on SSRIs? I'm trying lexapro right now and I don't feel much different. I guess a bit happier but I'm quickly losing that. Also, how many did you guys try till you found one that worked?
>>
>>25982804
Tried 2, they both made me a walking zombie with no emotion. Also extremely impulsive.
Shit desu
>>
Getting a dog and going to the gym
>>
I started faking it and making it
>>
>>25982302
Jus keep telling yourself nothing matters in the end and emotions are for the weak, then you won't feel anything anymore... Wait how to get out?
>>
File: 1427169956230.jpg (31KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1427169956230.jpg
31KB, 800x640px
I'm not out of the woods, yet, but I changed a lot by going back to school, using mushrooms once, and getting out of my comfort zone by going on a road trip to visit a friend in another state.

It's not much, but it's... something, I guess. At the very least, I'm no longer going weeks at a time without bathing or brushing my teeth, like I used to.

Beyond that, it helps to have a sort of end goal. I've always wanted to travel: I've always wanted to just kind of "escape". At some point in my life, I want to hike the Appalachian Trail. I want to visit Europe. I don't want to stay in Iowa for the rest of my life. I'm doing what I can to see that happen.

Sorry. I don't know what else to say. I've made progress, but that's not really saying much. I'm still fucked up by society's standards. I still have nothing to offer. I'm still not good enough.

I'm still not enough.
>>
brain surgery
>>
>>25982804
I was on that last year. All it did was lessen suicidal thoughts.
>>
File: tumblr_nxky79R9Xz1sflxizo1_500.png (5KB, 488x383px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxky79R9Xz1sflxizo1_500.png
5KB, 488x383px
probably drugs or just feeling an external presence aka god but mostly turning up
>>
>>25982302
I was so miserable I had nothing left to lose. I quit my job, stopped getting blackout drunk every night, sold all my shit, stayed with my parents a little while, knocked over an online diploma, then booked flights to go do volunteer work in south east Asia.

Suicide = stopping doing all the Shit you were doing

I just achieved the same result without making my family cry.

And if it doesn't work out there's always suicide.

If you truly have nothing to lose, change everything. Hitch hike to the other side of the continent and become a farmer or a ski instructor or a mortician or something. Anything.
>>
Just kill yourself. Humans are nothing but parasites anyway.
>>
File: enuff.jpg (4KB, 252x161px) Image search: [Google]
enuff.jpg
4KB, 252x161px
>>25982503
>tfw you haven't had a dream in 5 years

WHY DONT I DREAM ANYMORE.
>>
Fucking around with lots of over-the-counter supplements. Not because they always work or work very well, but they do make a difference, and since they make a difference, it's clear the problem is chemical.

So I can just say "the chemicals in my brain are screwy at the moment" when I'm feeling down.

It's also fun to try various combinations of them like a scientist.

5HTP
Pregnenolone
Saint John's Wort
Piracetam
Tyrosine
Adrafinil
DMAE
Velvet Bean (L-DOPA)
etc
>>
>>25983458
you are dreaming, you just don't remember it
>>
>>25983458
Probs caffeine too close to bedtime.

To get to REM sleep your blood needs to be clean of stimulants.
>>
>falling for the depression meme
fucking retards, just kill yourselves if you're so damn sad.
>>
>>25983458
No coffee, no alcohol, no weed.

Eat more bananas and chicken. 2 hours before bed for maximum efficiency.

If you wanna go all out take a 100-mg Vitamin B6 pill one hour before bedtime

When you do start dreaming keep a dream journal. The single most effective way to remember future dreams.
>>
I ended my depression by sorting my fucking life out. Got a real job, got a gf.

2,5 years after suicide depression I own a new car, a house, happy life with awesome gf and successful in a sport I kinda always knew I was good at.

In simpler terms - start doing shit and stop feeling sorry for yourself
>>
Don't worry, eventually you will 've depressed for so long that you will stop caring about the things that are making you depressed. You will grow to eventually realize you don't really want those things and will see the pointless in everything. You'll just become an empty apathetic husk who periodically slips back into depression because everything is pointless to you and you care about nothing, but then you will get out of it when you realize that is pointless too.

If you ever become truly depressed, not normie or clinical "depression", you will never be able to go back to the person you once were. There's no getting over it and there is no maintaining consistent happieness. Real depression changes you and prevents you from ever having significant prolonged happiness again. Your world view is tainted, and you will always come to the realization that everything is meaningless and you will stop caring.
>>
>>25982597
And thirdly, the people who have learned to cope.
>>
I'm not quite sure I can't remember, it just stopped. I was on effexor xr 300mg and i was getting some messed side effects, brain zaps, couldn't sleep, didn't feel anything. I was just numb all the time, in a zombie-like state constantly. Which was good because it stopped me from killing myself somehow. I pushed away all my friends and family but didn't care. But the brain zaps were getting really annoying so I decided to ween myself off it and afterwards I can't remember how I felt? I'm still here so I couldn't have been too depressed. I have one friend that i rarely talk to but don't care, it's like it has changed me and my personality. Because i would be catching up with friends during the week and always busy on the weekend.
I have stage 3 adrenal fatigue from years of caffeine abuse, so i don't feel happy or sad now, just angry every now and then. I'm not depressed anymore but I don't really feel alive.
>>
>>25983864
But then again I did start smoking when I came off anti depressants & continue to abuse caffeine so maybe I'm self medicating?
>>
Start to hard workout with only dumbells every secound Day makes me feel good again after much years of depression
>>
>>25983677
Wait until she leaves you.
>>
>>25982302
Doing a dissociative drug fixes it for like a month or so.
>>
If you live in America you could try to see a psychoanalyst.
I think that practice is more prevailent over there, you might even find one still called a psychoanalyst, over here in Norway they have to dress it up and call themselves psychodynamic therapists or whatever.

Will probably be pretty expensive and take 3-5 years.

Will probably be pretty difficult as well, depending on how fucked up you are

Good luck OP
>>
>>25982302
Don't think you can overcome it. Managing is the best you can hope for.
>>
File: 1450120182033.jpg (238KB, 1018x882px) Image search: [Google]
1450120182033.jpg
238KB, 1018x882px
>>25982645
>>25982962
>>25983729
This has been my coping mechanism as of late. If I'm apathetic about everything then nothing will bother me

I should do more drugs too. I can't wait to move out
>>
>>25982503
What do I do if all I have is nightmares?
>>
>>25984939
Just think happy thoughts bra
>>
>>25983677
Been there, done that.

>life is shit but I have a gf so its not all bad in the long term

Then she leaves you
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.