[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that have influenced you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Hyperion-640x485.jpg (158KB, 640x485px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion-640x485.jpg
158KB, 640x485px
WHats a book/series that changed your life or view on the world /r9k/?

>Frank Herberts Dune series blew my mind and changed how i looked at society and the human race. Especially the difference of action between Paul Muad'dib and The God emperor

>Dan Simmons Hyperion, the books were fucking fantasticv, and still are, diddnt change my world view but man these books are good

>THe wizards first rule-Terry Goodkind, taught me that all people are stupid and with the right tools can be influenced to believe anything that you want. but also people can be broken from acting like sheep and have the ability to think for themselves.

whats yours /r9k/?
>>
File: A Personal Matter.jpg (25KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
A Personal Matter.jpg
25KB, 309x475px
Pic related convinced me to never ever get married or have kids. Stoner by John Williams was just reinforcement.
>>
The Once and Future King by T.H. White

I wouldn't say it changed my worldview, since the author was illustrating ideas that I already believed, but he articulated them better than I ever could.

Also Hyperion is a great book.
>>
>>25943021
The Elric of Melnibone saga and all the Eternal Champion multiverse from Michael Moorcock.
>>
I've seen Hyperion around here a lot, whats so great about it? I don't read often but I might download a copy.
>>
>>25943021
Ye, Dune and Hyperion are both fantastic in this regard. Books by Jack Vance can be great. And add it in Mistborn that will learn you how deception can rule.
>>
American Psycho
Not trying to be an edgelord but that book honestly changed the way I looked at people and I'm glad I read it, still trying to fill the hole it left after I finished it.
>>
>>25943087
ever read the fall of hyperion anon?im reading that after ive read Issac Asimovs Robot series and ive just finished Foundation
>>
File: 1442857296797.jpg (188KB, 1314x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1442857296797.jpg
188KB, 1314x1024px
>>25943021
>Sophie's world by Jostein Gaarder.
>Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
>The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek
>Parerga and Paralipomena by Arthur Schopenhauer

Pretty much all the books that made me into what i'm now: A depressive libertarian who likes philosophy and is majoring in economics.
>>
>>25943076
>Oe
Good taste

What are your top 5 books?
>>
>>25943623
Not that guy but Dan Simmons is one of my favourite authors and Hyperion is one of my favourite books however the Fall of Hyperion while it's good to have a continuation and is full of some interesting concepts I'd place it a couple of tiers below Hyperion.
So if you thought Hyperion was great you might find the fall ok, but if you thought Hyperion was ok you might not enjoy the fall
>>
>>25943021
>The Silmarillion

Made me hate reality, why can't i live in a glorious fantasy world with epic history and zero real world problems
>>
The man who mistook his wife for a hat and other case studies - by Oliver Sacks
That book ruined me, it's made me so paranoid about my brain and neurological damage. Just the idea that your brain can see and interpret something one way and yet everyone else sees it differently. The titular case study is where he's sat with a couple discussing the mans head injury and at the end of the meeting when they get up to leave the man starts pulling at his wifes head. And she's fine with it, like she's accepted that he does this. Because of his injury when he looks at his wife he literally see his hat
>>
>>25943021
the quran to be honest
>>
>>25943021
Hyperion was boring as fuck.
>>
>>25943021
>Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

made me realize that i am literally autistic
>>
File: 1439833746827.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1439833746827.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>25943021

>tfw read only hyperion and it was 10 years ago
>tfw op reminded me that mistake
>tfw downloading right now
>tfw will leave this thread so you fags can't spoil it
>>
>>25943021
>dune
totally what first came to mind
>hyperion
i haven't read it, but i hear good things of it, may do that soon
>the wizards first rule
havent heard of it, will check out if it's worth reading..

>>25944117
the silmarillion is definitely another book that came to mind.
in general i like most of what tolkien wrote (even those books that were edited by his son etc)

>>25946134
WHAT
i was just thinking this would probably also be in my top 5...
not for the same reasons (although awkwardly enough the girl that recommended it to me was my crush and she said i would probably relate with the protagonist..)

i've been reading the glass bead game and it was pretty cool.
the little prince always makes me feel, and it's fairly short.
alice's adventures in wonderland is quite fun to read (also fairly short).
I, Robot is awesome.
Also, the foundation (at least the one i've read was good)
and fuck you but i also liked Ender's Game and Ender's shadow.
>>
>>25944117
Because youre an idiot who would be killed
>>
>>25946119
>>Hyperion was boring as fuck.

Completely disagree. Hyperion's world-building is top tier.

Endymion was bad however.
>>
>>25946399
Wizards first rule is pretty good if you like generic fantasy. The series quickly turns to shit though
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.