[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suburbs

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

File: asdf24r2v.jpg (2MB, 1500x998px) Image search: [Google]
asdf24r2v.jpg
2MB, 1500x998px
Does a /suburban/ environment create robots? My family moved into a suburban area when I was an early teenager, and I quickly realized everyone had known each other since childhood and had their own cliques. They had their own culture, their own activities, and there were no alternatives. Combine that with having to drive to do anything and it was a recipe for isolation and loneliness for me.

I hypothesize that urban environments create less robots because there is more variety, more types of people, and more chances for interaction.

I'm still in the suburbs and haven't left. What the fuck is wrong with me? I turned into a robot.
>>
>>25823906

>big lawn
>can easily own dog
>safe nearly negro free neighborhood
>can night walk all without being hassled

sounds pretty comfy tbqh
>>
>>25824429
>>can night walk all without being hassled

Not true where I live, there aren't even sidewalks. Nightwalks are a one way ticket to getting slammed by a truck or picked up by the police.
>>
>>25823906
I grew up in a midwestern town.

High school class of 60 people. Everyone was friendly. No cliques or anything.

Everyone was from the same couple dozen or so familys. Everywhere you went people asked "Who was your dad?". Nobody held hands in the hallways, nobody in high school had sex.

My childhood was fucking amazing.
>>
>>25824516
That's rural
>>
>>25823906
>>25824429

>isolation and that "I can't go to the one shopping mall or skate park 20 minutes away without seeing that fucking guy I hate" of small-town life

>16 year old wannabe gangsters that throw beer bottles and put up shitty grafitti everywhere like from big cities.

>none of the benefits of big city life or small-towns
>>
>>25824537
Yea, my grandpa was a farmer but I grew up in the tiny town. Really fucking cozy town.
>>
>>25824429
>big lawn

not really desu, we have A lawn at least but there's no privacy there desu.

It especially sucks if your neighbors are nosy or needy or loud or anything.

>can easily own dog

sure.

>safe nearly negro free neighborhood

instead we have like 16-20 year old white kids who act Black and rob old ladies' iphones and write their shit tags all over everything like dogs pissing.
>>
>>25824516
What happened Anon? How did you end up on r9k?
>>
>>25823906
>live in the suburbs
>boring and nothing nearby
>live in the city
>depressing and surrounded by negroes
There's no escape. I wish I was european so bad.
>>
>>25824876
I'm not normal and I dislike people.

I feel that I'm more attractive and smarter than most people I meet.

Pretty normal robot desu.
>>
>>25823906
wtf is wrong with Americans
>>
Hate to be that TED talk guy, but look up "the ghastly tragedy of the suburbs"

What you say is very true. There's nothing to do except smoke weed and play video games.
>>
>>25824941
Everyone wants his personal hourse, but they don't want it to be in the middle of nowhere (even though it pretty much is) and don't want to put any effort into it so they buy ready made houses from real estate agents instead of building them themselves

The agents themselves don't bother trying, they just buy a massive plot of land, cut it in smaller plots and build copy/pasted houses on every plot
>>
I don't think environment plays a huge role. There are lots of robots in cities and in the country.
>>
>>25824907
>move to europe
>surrounded by sandniggers and north african "refugees"
I wish I was east asian so bad. I would give up and inch off my dick and four off my height to blend seamlessly into their nigger-free society.
>>
Daily reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ
>>
>>25825254
environment includes everything from your house to your country.
>>
File: 1422324571098.jpg (100KB, 881x719px) Image search: [Google]
1422324571098.jpg
100KB, 881x719px
>>25823906

>I hypothesize that urban environments create less robots because there is more variety, more types of people, and more chances for interaction.

kek

You feel even more lonely and isolated because of a higher concentration of normies you have to pass by. See: Taxi Driver.
>>
>>25825590
Taxi driver is fiction
>>
>>25825510
hahaha, JHK.

What a fucking idiot.

>muh "peak oil"
>muh technophobia
>muh horrible predictions that never come true

I read his blog every Monday purely for entertainment value. Funniest shit on the interwebz.
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 625x467px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 625x467px
>>25825445
>be east asian
>surrounded by virgin robots and effiminate socially inept losers

Yeah, you'd blend in just fine there pham.
>>
>>25825688
better that than having to smell foreigners who come from a culture 7000 years away from inventing deodorant
>>
>>25824941
>>25825047

Still infinitely better than building a building block with apartments. At least they're HOUSES.
>>
>>25823906
I live on a mountain in Wales surrounded by old people and sheep so those American suburbs look comfy as fuck to me
>>
>>25825618

Heavily based on reality.
>>
one of the worst parts of growing up a robot in the suburbs is when your friends and kids your age all move out to their own appartments downtown or at the nearest big city or go live on a farm or something, and the neighbourhood you grew up is now nothing but really old people and parents with kids
>>
>>25823906

Do Ameripoors really live like that?

Where are the gardens and fences and different house designs?

You guys are joking and this photo is of a prefab ghetto for welfare recipients, isn't it?
>>
>>25824971
>>25825510

That was beautiful

>>25826190
No joke, it's a rather average suburban "subdivision" as they are called here.
>>
>>25826231

But it's an entry level suburb for poor people, right?
>>
File: heroic pit bull.jpg (83KB, 662x625px) Image search: [Google]
heroic pit bull.jpg
83KB, 662x625px
>>25823906
Yes.

I actually studied this stuff a bit during late high school and early college, and basically, suburbs breed more "autismal" people and more delinquents of various sorts because of lack of interaction, lack of meaningful activities, and difficulty in getting to do stuff outside of your own home.

>>25824429
This is actually not true. Most suburbs have neighborhood watched or local security now, and sidewalks are rare in suburbs, making it dangerous since you might just get clipped by a car or have the cops called on you by a homeowner whose lawn you're using as a sidewalk.

I'm gonna re-recommend James Kunstler. He's a bit of a cunt in general, but makes a lot of good points.
>>
>>25826307
No it actually looks rather nice now that I think about it. It looks like a rendering, but if you look closely it looks like it has different house configurations. Anyway, that is standard here, all houses in a subdivision have to look the more or less the same, whether they are low or upper class.
>>
Honestly, I imagine hell to be similar to a typical suburban life that never ends. But that's just me.
>>
>>25825590
>>25826064
>I am a suburban babby still living at home. please take my word for it that Taxi Driver is actually a documentary
>>
>>25826190
That's actually higher class to live like that. Poors typically live in big tenement blocks that eventually start looking different over time as they change hands between owners and tenants.

Americans are all about branding and labels, and consider it the height of class to look EXACTLY like everyone else around you.
>>
>>25823906
>>25826365

>hey dude you want to come over? My house is the one with white walls and a grey roof, can't miss it.
>>
>>25826365
>it actually looks rather nice

It looks horrendous. A few minor differences doesn't really change the fact that looks like a soulless shit hole. Where's the privacy? Where are the fences and gardens? It's just all ghastly connected lawns.

I can't believe people actually buy these.
>>
>>25826190
Where the fuck are you from to talk like that?
>>
>>25826463
No of course it looks horrendous. By "nice" I meant higher class.
>>
>>25826458

Bullshit. Like I know that isn't inner city NYC tower blocks, but there's no way it's any more than a lower class suburb.
>>
I'M THE SON OF RAGE AND LOVE...

>mfw this wasn't original
>>
>>25826513
It's distinctly middle class.

Don't get confused, though, american pig -- "middle class" doesn't mean "rich", it means "average wealth".

suburbs filled with poors typically don't have HOAs and shit to prevent people from painting their houses dumb colors, using nonstandard siding or other facade materials, replacing their doors with whatever model is around, etc.
>>
>>25824463
Picked up by the police for what? Walk on lawns ffs. Don't make excuses for yourself to stay a robot
>>
>>25826646
>Picked up by the police for what?
Being outside after curfew.
>>
>>25826411

Nope living in a tiny city apartment in a busy area. Maybe you are your normie gang live the sitcom life.
>>
>>25826674
>be american
>get shot

Daily reminder.
>>
>>25826479

Why are you so angry and triggered by reasonable questions?

>>25826509

That's pretty depressing that you see it as higher class

>>25826618
>to prevent people from painting their houses dumb colors, using nonstandard siding or other facade materials, replacing their doors with whatever model is around

Why would anyone care? I mean, sure, don't paint your house bright pink or whatever, but are you seriously saying people care about door types or claddings? I don't give a shit about what my neighbours door looks like.
>>
>>25826674

You are joking, right? It's hard to tell sometimes.
>>
>>25826821
> Why are you so angry and triggered by reasonable questions?

Because I'm from Germany and it would indeed trigger me to have a fellow countrymen (or any European really) have ask such a question when most people here can't even afford a house at all - and the few ones that do live in Row-Houses very similar to OP's picture.
>>
>>25826876

What you mean to say is YOU can't afford a house.

There's clearly plenty of land for building houses with that sort of space in the US - I can only imagine they're quite far from anything resembling the city - I just don't understand why you'd want your house to look the same and leave it so exposed and open. I like my fences. I like my house not being exactly the same as my neighbours.
>>
>>25824429
Night walks in the suburbs are fucking boring there's not much to see and you'll just run into teenagers and cops
>>
>>25826354
>Kunstler

My Nigga
>>
You guys really aren't joking about the cops harassing you for walking around your own suburb, are you?

Holy fuck, what sort of fascist hell hole is American suburbia?
>>
Reading a book about this right now called Future Shock. About how the rate of change of society in increasing too fast for humans to handle. A great thought from the beginning of the book - If each of your ancestors lived 60 years (unlikely I know) and you counted back all your ancestors to 50,000 years ago, that's only 800 lifetimes. 800 separate people that led to you. And the first 600 of those people lived in caves.
>>
>>25827119
Its awful here, contributes to the lack of going outside for me. I just don't want to deal with police anymore because they're such totalitarian pricks.
>>
>>25827182

What sort of so-called "free" country allows the police to dictate your right to walk somewhere?
>>
>>25827007
Thats not what I'm saying at all you moron.

I asked where the fuck he is from because he clearly an European - that is very unlikely to ever own a house at all.
>>
>>25827213
>Freedom was a mistake

t. George Washington
>>
>>25827213
The ironic thing is many brainwashed Americans still mouth off about how free they are, yet overlook the NSA collecting all of our internet/phone conversations and the blatant police problem.

Be thankful you don't have to deal with our cops.
>>
>>25827222

It is exactly what you're saying. You're just too stupid to understand that just because you're a loser who can't afford a house it doesn't mean everyone else in your country is as much of a failure as you.

There's nothing whatsoever that makes it clear I'm from Europe. You're stupid. No wonder you can't afford a house.
>>
>>25827253

I suppose it's only freedom if you can afford it and everyone is expected to shut up and do as they're told.

>>25827265

The patriot act alone is proof there is no freedom in America.
>>
>>25826674
>curfew
L O L
underage b&
>>
What do you guys think of the suburbs of Atlanta
>>
>>25827349

You know they probably aren't underage and American suburbs restrict grown adults from being outside in their own suburbs.
>>
is suburbs just houses? there are far from the city?

if you wanted to buy some something from some store, you would have to drive all the way to the city?
>>
File: No Surrender.jpg (47KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
No Surrender.jpg
47KB, 480x360px
>>25824907
>I wish I was european so bad.
Yeah, but then you wouldn't have that comfy American sheltered lifestyle.

I laugh at what Americans call bullying desu

Where I'm from being a ginger kid meant getting pulled into an alleyway by random kids and having your stomach kicked over and over again like a football.
None of that online bullying shite.

I got my own back in the end though because grew up to hate pakis.
Called some Muslim bint a bin bag wearing paki when I was 17. Felt so smug when the bitch couldn't do anything to me because I'd gotten involved with a group of proper hard mates that hate pakis as well.
Fuckin tough though at first. Gives you hair on your chest, that's for sure.
>>
>>25826821
Reasonable people don't care, but the suburbs are stuffed with neurotic post-menopausal women looking for something to nitpick or bitch at. My neighbor had a beautiful garden in his front yard with tall sunflowers, one day he was ticketed by the police because the HOA said they were too tall for regulation. He tried to fight it and his shit neighbors would stop by during dinner and explain why his behavior "wasn't ok," and they kept threatening legal action which apparently was in their power. Guy ended up cutting down his sunflowers before the city did.

You can't make your house unique at all or pissy organizations will throw a hissy-fit. It's awful.
>>
>>25827645

That's completely fucking ridiculous. How do you actually let these people get away with it?
>>
>>25827779
basically they won't sell you the house if you don't agree to be in the homeowner's association and abide by whatever rules the busybodies there think up. Shit like "whites only" is illegal and unenforceable, but they can and do tell you what color you can paint your house and other shit like that.

This varies a lot btw. Some places are Nazi-strict, some places aren't. My parents live in an older area that has a homeowner's association, but it's pretty toothless. Every year the bitch that runs it drops a passive-aggressive note in their mailbox reminding them that they need to pay their HOA dues. Which my parents then throw in the garbage. all they can really do is tell them they can't participate in the neighborhood easter-egg hunt and shit.
>>
>>25828063

What legal right do they have to actually do this? It sounds like one of those manipulative as fuck faux-legal bullying things. How completely shit do you have to be to think it's OK to dictate what people do with their houses?
>>
>>25827645
Yea it's totally fucked. Our gay neighbors would passive agressively call the HOA on us and we'd get fined for our grass being too tall or our trash can being out. I wish this was the middle ages so I could crucify these two faced fucks on a skewer of rust, shit, and herpes.
>>
>>25827119
American cops are generally shit because so many are gung-ho meatheads with a knockoff military culture. Think burnout football players who would race cars or drink and drive in high school, who realize that being a cop they can do the same shit and get paid. They're encouraged to write as many minor tickets as possible and a lot are automatically hostile or condescending to the people they interact with.

I got stopped walking back from a friend's house once after I cut through a park (basically a few big fields, a drainage pond, and some trees). The cops saw me from across the street, turned on their lights and gunned it onto the grass. When they got out they shined their flashlights on me and yelled to stay where I was, then asked me who I was/what I was doing here at night. I was overly polite because I'm not stupid, told them it was my neighborhood, they wouldn't stop shining the flashlight in my eyes which was pretty uncomfortable. They asked me over and over if I was smoking weed (I had been smoking a cigarette), I told them no and showed them my pack. They kept saying my eyes were red (I checked later and they weren't) and insisted they knew what I was doing so I should stop lying before I made things worse. After enough polite insistence, pointing out that I didn't smell, offered to let them search me if they really thought it necessary, they wrote me a $140 trespassing ticket for being in the park after dark and drove off.

I lived in the UK for a few months and was genuinely surprised when the police were (for the most part) friendly. American cops are the worst. I'm lucky I don't live in a big city either, apparently they can be even worse
>>
>>25827138
I know it's not from the book, but I like the example of if you take someone from, say, 1300 and bring them forward to 1400, some things would be different, but they'd be able to integrate into society. But, if you take someone from 1800-1900 and put them in modern society, they'd have no clue what the fuck was going on in almost any aspect of society.
>>
>>25826142
this. my current situation. i feel so out of place, the parents with kids give me the dirtiest looks
>>
>>25827459
depends on the layout and area.

older suburbs are near cities, or often within cities' Greater Area and have nearby shopping malls and big-box stores like Wal Mart and whatever else within arm's reach since they'll have no real competition around them.

Newer suburbs tend to be built further and further away from cities and like OP's pic they're really just houses first, and anything else (from stores to libraries and community centers) later.
>>
File: 1439077891345.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1439077891345.gif
2MB, 240x180px
I think so. Every robot including myself that I've known has been from the suburbs.

Possible reasons from my own upbringing:
>nowhere to go to in range of foot or bike as child and adolescent
>just stay in and play vidya and/or fantasize
>extreme lack of culture, don't want to be sports normies so naturally fall into 'counterculture' goth/hotopic life
>only understand the world through theory;religious teachings and news, have preconceived notions of what the world is

I remember listening to my dad tell me about how he and his friends would play war in a forest, i was warned not to go into any forest because of trespassing
>>
File: Ovn42wl.jpg (522KB, 2324x3500px) Image search: [Google]
Ovn42wl.jpg
522KB, 2324x3500px
>>25824429

>Nightwalk in the suburbs

Why? There's nothing to see. Suburbs fucking blow
>>
File: fad.jpg (8KB, 222x216px) Image search: [Google]
fad.jpg
8KB, 222x216px
Careful. I moved into the city and have slowly started becoming a normie
>>
>>25828414

>it's illegal to be in a public park that your taxes paid for and Americans accept this without blinking and try to tell you how free they are

Holy fuck.
>>
>>25823906

Honestly, if this sort of cookie cutter housing is acceptable to you Americans and you see it as middle class, then it's no wonder so many of you are incredibly fucked up.

This looks like my idea of hell on earth.
>>
>>25829819
>>25830085

Nothing about this country makes much sense. I can understand why the rest of the world hates or fears us.
>>
>>25830120

Pretty sure most of us are generally apathetic towards you or bemused, not frightened or full of hatred.
>>
>>25829819
I'm not American and our parks have opening/closing hours as well.

They're stupid laws for the most part, I guess most of it is just for preventing teenagers from doing heroin in the sandbox at night but more often than not it's just silly.

Like this 60 year old dude that was fined over 400 loonies for riding his bike on the designated bike path past 11PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/440-dollar-ticket-quebec-bike-path-1.3217013
>>
>>25830268

That's insane. There's literally no reason for there to be laws like this beyond a fascist tier need to control citizens.

If that's what it's like to live in a free country, I'll pass.
>>
>>25828148
thing about Burgers is that they have an ironclad commitment to real estate as an investment. The recession scared pretty much all generations out of the stock market, but something like 90% of the nation still believes that a house is a safe and sure investment. As a result, you get people awfully concerned about what their property's worth, which means they don't want anyone on the entire street looking the least bit unkempt, since if the property value falls at all, they're fucked.
>>
>>25830652
>fascist

well okay it's not like they sent the old man to a forced labour camp, he was fined (a ridiculous amount) and then the municipality revoked it.
>>
>>25831409

Do they not understand what the recession was caused by?

If having differences between the houses is enough to lower property values, then all of the houses are effectively worthless.

>>25831549

Trying to prevent you from travelling through a public space for no other reason than it's a certain time of day is fascist.
>>
>Buy house
>Woohoo I have my own place now, no more throwing money away on rent and I can do whatever I want on MY property!
>Government: Pay property taxes or we take your house
>Homeowner's association: Welcome to the neighborhood! Here is a list of things you can and can't do on your own property. If you violate this list, you will be fined. This is all perfectly legal.
>Homeowner's association: Here are the 4 colors you are allowed to paint your house. You must repaint your house once every 5 years. Also, you have to have one of these three types of approved grass on your lawn. Keep it maintained or you get fined. Also also, make sure your fence is a shadowbox fence. That is the only approved style of fence in our neighborhood. This is all perfectly legal.
>Homeowner's association: Hey, sorry to bother you again, but I see you haven't paid your homeowner's association dues. You need to pay us to enforce these arbitrary rules put in place by whichever one of us is on a power trip right now.
>>
>>25831739
Where do you live?

guaranteed that your local parks have closing and opening hours that you just don't know about
>>
>>25831739
>Do they not understand what the recession was caused by?
half the country also thinks its a good investment to borrow $20k on a home-equity loan to remodel said house to be in line with the latest fashions, cause if you don't it won't keep it's value.
>>
>>25831901

There are no opening and closing hours at any of the parks near me. One large park has a visitors centre that obviously opens and closes, but beyond that there is nothing illegal about being there at any time.
>>
A lot of times the "this park closes at xxx" is just to give them a cover to show up and throw you out if you cause a disturbance at night. if you don't, many times they don't care when you're there.
>>
>>25831866

>land of the free...

>>25831911

Renovation can be a perfectly good idea if you're actually smart with the money and what you're aiming to change and update, but simply redecorating for the sake of it is retarded
>>
>>25831866

>Termites: Om nom nom your investment tastes good. Thanks for building your house out of a perishable material. We know you have no choice, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>25832165

>not simply setting up termite barriers and spraying annually.
>>
>>25832007
>refuses to answer where he lives

good one senpai
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.