[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is calculus hard? Gonna start taking calculus classes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: image.gif (2MB, 424x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 424x240px
Is calculus hard?
Gonna start taking calculus classes
>>
it's hard if you're stupid
you should be good
>>
Calc I and II were easy for me. Calc III fucked me up, but that's because I was lazy. Take that as you will.
>>
>tfw couldn't even do algebra
>>
I dropped out of school and don't know what calculus is. I'm probably a genuine retarded person.
>>
>>25798765
u are dumb

>>25798782
too dumb to live kill yourself
>>
calc is basically the first time in your math education, where you learn things that don't seem trivial / intuitive on first sight.
but since most people seem to teach calculus without proofs, it's just a plug and chug class that you can ace without even knowing what a derivative is.

so go for it anon - if you like it you might get interested in more advanced math and maybe even get your 300k starting like /sci/ promised you
>>
what kind of stuff is subject of alculus? can't translate that shit into my language.
>>
>>25798684
It's fucking easy. It's pretty much babby real analysis.
>>
>>25798684

Compared to the greek space magic that is trig it's a fucking cake walk.
>>
>>25798894
analysis
>>
File: 1391797693655.jpg (48KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
1391797693655.jpg
48KB, 535x577px
>gave up on Spivak after chapter 2
>tfw genuinely too dumb for analysis
should I even bother studying babby tier calc for fun if I'll never be good at real math?
>>
ive posted in the past saying i failed 5 times
well its 6 now and i just wanna an hero because its validation of my level of intelligence and anyone this pathetic should just an hero
it is only hard if you do not do your hw because practice is key in this class
practice is the best way to learn in calculus
if you think you are a "smart but lazy" then sure take it like any other class
i thought i was "smart and lazy" but i learned the truth
>>
>>25798948
ah I see.
>>25798684
then it ain't really hard OP. more fun but less applicable than algebra imho.
>>
File: 1405925968589.jpg (70KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
1405925968589.jpg
70KB, 399x388px
I literally cannot do basic maths. Adding and subtracting, multiplying and dividing. It's too complicated.
>>
>>25798684
No it remembering stuff from previous pre cal and the algebra can be difficult
>>
>>25798878
FUCKING THIS KEK

If you don't have to prove, it is honestly a pretty easy class desu senpai, as long as you pay attention and attempt to actually "Learn" about calc, you'll sail through it.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 460x500px
>tfw I'm dumb and terrible at math

I COULDN'T EVEN BE ONE OF THOSE AUTISTS THAT ARE SOCIALLY RETARDED BUT GOOD AT MATH AND SCIENCE

I'M SOCIALLY AND MENTALLY RETARDED

HOW AM I EVEN ALIVE??? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>25798996
You should. Everyone starts out with dumbed down no proof calculus at first.
That's how you get an intuition for the subject.
Without intuition it's hard to get into analysis.

>>25799017
I would disagree. Sure algebra gives rise to cryptography and some advanced physics (from which i don't have much of a clue - just overheard they were doing a lot with lie algebras)
But analysis is the base point of everything that has to with differential equations, and those are everywhere in every stem subject and even non stem like economics
>>
File: 1341634654694.png (143KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1341634654694.png
143KB, 800x600px
>going back to college at age 25
>been out of school for 7 years
>wasn't good at it to begin with

oh god help i only remember arithmetic
>>
>>25798684
Calculus: Easy to conceptualize, hard in practice general with the question you get on exams being tough as shit.
If you know derivatives, anti-derivatives, and limits, you understand the whole course, the rest is how to derivative/anti-derivative more complicated things in contrast
Linear Algebra: Hard as fuck to conceptualize although not impossible, but generally easy questions if you understand the material
>>
>>25799214
well yes maybe it was not best claim on my part. my field of study is IT so algebra is really important to me. as you said cryptography, another good example is massively parallel computing and well much more.
but I just realized that analysis, especially approximations are really important as well since well computer cannot calculate lets say trigonometric functions exactly since only thing computer is able to do is basic math. but it is overlooked since it already exists and works so there is no need to touch that.
>>
Only took calc 1 and 2. Gonna start calc 3 in a week.

As long as you do the work and practice, it's easy af. Your brain just needs practice, like a muscle.
>>
>>25798684
I'm in my first year of a maths degree (actuarial maths) and the calculus I do is a lot different than what I did in school. It's more abstract and there are a lot of proofs as opposed to just differentiating equations and optimizing functions. It's fine once you get your head around it but that involves reading over slides from lectures whereas in school you could simply go to class and understand as the teacher explained it.
>>
Math is a skill which can be practiced like any other.
>>
>>25798684
easy as fuck desu
>>
>>25798684
Not very. I strongly recommend watching kahnacademy videos now and getting a head start.
>>
>>25799055
>maths
cant do english either retard tard
>>
>>25799187
>>25799187
THIS, SO FUCKING MUCH, I LIKE MATH BUT I SUCK AT IT
>>
>>25798894
Calculus is the mathematical study of instantaneous rates of change and accumulation over an interval. In calculus, you learn that instantaneous rates of change and accumulation over an interval of any given function are "opposites" of each other. So basically, it's how to find the exact area under a smooth curve and the exact slope of any point on a smooth curve.
>>
>>25800783
patrick jmt or whatever is far superior
>>
>>25800874
For later material I can agree, but Sal Khan is the king of spoon feeding. I learned Cal I over the summer from his videos and fucked around in class the following semester.
>>
>>25798941
This is the worst part of calculus desu, it's easy til they start combining it with trig
>>
File: literallytimewasted.jpg (24KB, 269x427px) Image search: [Google]
literallytimewasted.jpg
24KB, 269x427px
>accounting major
>had to take calc
>students entering the year after I did with the same major dont have to take it anymore
>>
I'm taking differential equations. Is it harder or easier than calc 3?
>>
mathbot grad student here
>>25798684
If you know algebra then you can do calc. No question.
>>25798920
This doesn't help people that probably don't know what Real Analysis is.
>>25798941
All you have to do is memorize the first quadrant of the unit circle and SOHCAHTOA and it's cake.
>>25800815
That's what they say outside the US.
>>25800970
No, trig is super easy after you memorize the first quadrant of the unit circle and SOHCAHTOA. After that you can just piece things together.
>>25801439
Honestly I think calc II is the most difficult so comparing it to calc III I don't think is a good comparison. Also, you will be using nothing from calc III in Differential Equations. You will only be using derivatives, integration, and some basic algebra. If you're good at those you'll be fine.
>>
>>25798684
As long as you're good at algebra and know basic trig identities calc isn't hard. That said if you suffering from crippling social anxiety and depression calc is hard.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.