[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck guys I talked to a navy recruiter yesterday

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (108KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 1280x718px
oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

guys I talked to a navy recruiter yesterday and I think he talked me into enlisting and they gave me a follow up call today and I said I think it's what I want to do
I think I'm in too deep, I've been a neet most of my adult life how am I gonna survive basic? Holy fuck I'm freaking out they want me to go up to meps monday I think it's too late to back out
>>
Relax bruh; there's A LOT of retards and screw ups in the military, and it may very well be your only chance at having an okay life.

What's the worst that can happen?
>>
>>25784940
Well having an anxiety attack and getting shipped back home an even bigger fuckup than I already am comes to mind.
>>
>>25784918

Whether or not you're a NEET, joining the U.S. military is a bad idea.

Veterans are more than 40% of the homeless population. Think about that.
>>
>navy
enjoy the cramped prison-like living conditions of a ship
>>
>>25784970
You still get paid for time spent at basic.
>>
>>25784986
retards who can't get their life together are retards whether they are veterans or straight civvies.

Military's a great thing. just don't crack.
>>
I wish I could just join the military, I'd test well enough for whatever I want, but I was involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital and have a (long and extreme) history of mental illness
>>
>>25784997
that actually is the most appealing part for me, I motherfucking love boats. What I'm worried about is mean drill instructors, lack of sleep and peanut butter shots.
>>
>>25784986
>Veterans are more than 40% of the homeless population.

It's the navy, he's not gonna get deployed unless he's special forces
>>
>>25784986
This is completely false.

correlation is not causation or whatever.

Failures flock to the military often because nowhere else to go, people that are really dumb flock to the military because nowhere else to go

If you qualify for a skilled MOS that can train you in a field that is suited for civilian life, it looks good on a resume. US Military will also fund your schooling and you can actually get a degree for a reasonable amount of money.

For a poorfag military is literally the best option around just because of the flexibility of what you can do in life with it. Like the military? Stay in it. Don't like it or your job? Just take your free college and do something else while enlisted. Like your MOS? Get a civillian job that utilizes the same skills you have from 4 years of experience and slap it on a resume.

Do not do ANY INFANTRY ROLES unless you're a fucking retard whos only options on an mos choice are Cook and Infantry, even then, pick cook.
>>
>>25784918
weird coincidence coming to R9K for first time and seeing this. I also went to navy recruiter yesterday. What'd you get on the EST? I got an 89, he said usually you score 5-10 pts higher on the real test so I'd qualify for nuke most likely, but I have some medical issues that might DQ me
>>
This is EXACTLY my situation except I'm a little further on the line than you, what did you get on the asvab senpai?

My rating is STG and I go to basic in 3 WEEKS wew, been doing 300 pushups and crunches a day so I don't die. But I'm pretty sure I'm doing more than I need to, nobody else is super fit.

Btw at MEPS you get a great burger and an awesome buffet at the hotel.
>>
>>25785037
You don't have to tell them about your mental history and they have no access to your medical records. at MEPS when they ask about it just say nothing about it.

SOURCE: I have been diagnosed with Bipolar and major depressive disorder and was in the USMC for 4 years.
>>
>>25785074
I got a 84, he said I'm a shoe-in for stg which is what interests me
>>
>>25785091
(>>25785074 here) my recruiter said navy basic is easy as fuck. he even said he's had girls tell him it was easy.
>>
>>25785041

Drill instructors can't do shit to you except yell, and you get used to that

In air force basic training we had 8 hours and 45 minutes to sleep(except for the first night where you get basically no sleep), navy is probably similar

Your mileage may vary with your peanut butter shot, for me it was a little uncomfortable for a few minutes after and then I was totally fine
>>
>>25785133
navy basic is fairly easy.

The hardest part for me was the running simply because I just suck at running and always have, even now I struggle to run a mile and a half and just barely meet minimum requirements for it.
>>
>>25785115
I am curious about STG too. That, CTI, linguistics, and nuke. I'd be interested in air traffic control also, but I'm color blind and I think that's a DQ for it.

On another note, they were telling crazy fucking stories while I was taking the EST (super distracting, but interesting). The recruiter I was interviewing was saying how some guy let him use his laptop on a ship, and he found a bunch of folders full of hardcore CP. Recruiter reported it, and the guy is STILL in the fucking navy. The good-ole-boy system or w.e is fucking real
>>
>>25785186
>>25785133
Yea thats what my Chief said, I will probably regret not eating pizza since I've been in DEP, too much I'm not in the Marines kek

>>25785115
>>25785091
I'm a future STG and going to C-School in San Diego for a year before I go on a ship, so that would be cool if I saw you there
>>
File: 1452122846356.png (173KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452122846356.png
173KB, 300x300px
>>25785100
christian pls, you're not a robot
>>
File: Miller.gif (5KB, 72x104px) Image search: [Google]
Miller.gif
5KB, 72x104px
>>25785281
I'm not a christian and my name is Jay senpai.
>>
>>25785069
how do i get to work with the army dogs?
>>
File: 1447831220155.jpg (410KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447831220155.jpg
410KB, 800x800px
>>25785311
meant the name desu
had a fellow devil doge with the same disorders
>>
>>25785326
Like training? I assume they would contract that shit out to civvies.

If by working with them. I'd assume bomb squad maybe? Fuck if I know, I never saw a dog, I sat in kuwait in a cushy air conditioned base, then in okinawa for the rest of my deployment.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 475x466px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 475x466px
>>25785223
>>25785211
knowing that some fellow robots are enlisting with me makes me somehow less nervous
>>
>>25784970
This is me. I went US infantry basic training and fucked up and got sent back home. I'm considering suicide
>>
>>25785362
whatever the dogs do, bomb dogs, combat dogs, idc, i like dogs and we're both colorblind so we match.
>>
>>25784918
Okay, listen to someone whose been through the Navy recruiting shit.

1. You can always back out. They won't care too much.

2. I would say do it. Nice gig, Navy basic ain't that bad.

Play it smart.
>>
File: 1450929743677.jpg (138KB, 1242x1229px) Image search: [Google]
1450929743677.jpg
138KB, 1242x1229px
>>25785376
the military turned me into a robot, this is the only place i belong now
currently living the neet life at my parents
>>
>>25785074
>>25785115
I got a 64 :(

I mean, still above average I guess but man.

Fucking math.
>>
>>25785458
I'm so retarded i got a 43. The only options i had were tanker, infantry, camerman, aviator.
>>
>>25785472
>tanker
cool as tits I'm hoping you picked this mos
>>
File: pvtpyle.jpg (149KB, 2880x1619px) Image search: [Google]
pvtpyle.jpg
149KB, 2880x1619px
>OP four months later
>>
>>25785472
My dad knows a guy who got PTSD from being a tanker, otherwise I had thought it would be pretty cool.

I got high enough for MP so I'll probably do that.
>>
>>25785529
Tankers can still see some shit.

A lot of MOSs can see combat. They just have to be in the wrong place wrong time.

Even mechanics can get into combat.
>>
I think the best branch to join is the marines just because they get the best combat training in every MOS with the whole "every marine is a rifleman" mantra they go by, and every marine oozes machismo.

Feel like if you get put in a shitty deployment with even a risk of combat, I'd rather have Chad McFuckinHateMyParents than Chairforce Charlie on my right.
>>
File: 1448076910809.gif (488KB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1448076910809.gif
488KB, 200x180px
>>25785458
>>25785472
I got 70 niggahs.
GT scores all over 100.
>>
>>25785615
That depends what you are looking for. If you want a combat job then marines is the way to go.

If you are just in it for the benefits and want a easy job then navy/airforce is your best bet
>>
>>25785074
Is EST like ASVAB? I almost enlisted way back in the day ('03-ish) and got a 97, the recruiter spent the rest of the day parading me around because of it, and then I chickened out and had to deal with him calling me to talk shit for a few months.
>>
>>25785647
I feel like there is a chance you can get shipped to a base near syria or something even with a safe mos in a base. Like, what if your shit gets attacked by rebels at night, and all the lazy chairforce guys in it for benefits freak out instead of grabbing their rifles. Its exactly what I mean. You can take the easy chairforce jobs, just take them in the marines because you know everyone can handle their shit in a fight.
>>
>>25785682
EST is a watered down practice version of ASVAB to give the recruiters a gauge of what you'll score.
>>
File: 1452062724191.gif (983KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1452062724191.gif
983KB, 350x197px
>>25785615
Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about.
Only choose the marines if you get rejected by every other recruiter.
I would have fared much better if I chose the same MOS and joined the navy.
I may have even reenlisted, who knows.
>>
>>25785615
Did you know the Marines are a division of the Navy? I didn't know that until my meeting yesterday. Makes sense I guess, "marine" relating to the sea n stuff.
>>
>>25784986
>Veterans are more than 40% of the homeless population. Think about that.

Quite honestly that reflects worse on the civilian economy than it does on the military. They were not probably not homeless and had a paycheck when in the mil.
>>
>>25785726
They got their start in 1775 as colonial marines serving as sharpshooters aboard naval vessels.
>>
>>25784986
Nukes make 100-200k right out of the Navy. It's all about the MOS really. Don't be a Master at Arms standing and driving a golf cart around all day.
>>
>>25785725
that hardly makes sense. I got rejected from the marines because of a prior felon, but the army let me in with a waiver. I don't think you know what you're talking about anon. There are far less slots in the Marines than other branches, wait time in DEP before shipping seems to be more from what my buddy told me as well.
>>
File: 1449551099825.jpg (77KB, 422x600px) Image search: [Google]
1449551099825.jpg
77KB, 422x600px
>>25785822
I had a friend I served with get rejected by the ary, navy, airforce, and national guard because he had a prior conviction for disturbing the peace.
Granted, that was a plea bargain for a bogus domestic violence charge but the fact that the domestic violence charge popped on a background check they refused to take him.
>>
>>25785822
ordered by diminishing selectivity: Air Force > Navy > Marines > Army

Reversed for actual difficulty in boot/duty.
>>
>>25785871
though I guess Marines are more difficult than Army.
>>
>>25785871
really, marines easier than army? seems doubtful
>>
>>25785870
At the recruiting station they always sent away guys with any history of domestic abuse or sexual violence no matter what, don't even ask questions.
>>
>>25785903
>>25785896
it was just a quick, general ordering
>>
>>25785814
>Nukes make 100-200k right out of the Navy
God fucking damnit, I was so close to getting accepted. Damn.

Hopefully Stg gets me at least some civilian credit I will have security clearances
>>
File: 1448001245369.jpg (173KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1448001245369.jpg
173KB, 604x604px
>>25785910
True, they aren't even able to check out weaponry from the armory with a domestic violence charge.
The issue was he didn't even get charged with it.
It was just shown on his record he was investigated for bogus charges from a pissed off neighbor.
>>
>>25785708

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVZRgiOw-o
>>
>>25785936
Don't sweat it too much. It's not a hard job, and the skills don't come easy. Even if I'm accepted I might not even take it just because I know I'm not a super motivated student with STEM shit.
>>
>>25785985
The content of this film represents the level of tech we had during world war 2.

Today we have fancy things like radar and satellite imagery where soldiers would be ready for anything hours before anything actually showed up short of nukes launched from submarines.
>>
>>25785936
I've been hearing that phrase, "security clearance," a lot. I have a basic idea of what it is, having access to classified information but what are the applications in the civilian world? Does working in a high clearance job in the Navy just prove trustworthiness or something? Wouldn't it just be more public sector/Military work?
>>
File: asians.jpg (37KB, 899x153px) Image search: [Google]
asians.jpg
37KB, 899x153px
>>25785985
>comment from this video
>>
>>25786060

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombing
>>
>>25786051
>>25785936
oops, I meant it IS a hard job*

high stress, lots of concentration. Those guys probably envy the infantry grunts sometimes.
>>
>>25785379

What do you mean you fucked up?
>>
>>25786095
Hard to compare a terrorist suicide attack to an armed force attack.

Pretty much anyone with access to military bases can load up with explosives and blow shit up. Not much of a testament to why military forces are inept.
>>
>>25786146

>Pretty much anyone with access to military bases can load up with explosives and blow shit up.

>Not much of a testament to why military forces are inept.
>>
>>25786264
there is no solution to things like this though, you cant just blow up every fucking vehicle that gets within 100 yards of a base.

Terrorism is literally that, it invokes terror because theres no way to detect it before it happens if done properly.

It's simply not a matter of being inept.
>>
File: jstUU.jpg (70KB, 601x384px) Image search: [Google]
jstUU.jpg
70KB, 601x384px
>>25784918
/k/ here, you haven't been legally bound to do anything yet. They only legally have your ass once you step foot on the bus to go to basic. If you don't want to go all you have to do is not show up to the bus to go to basic and that's it. The recruiters are going to lie to you but just know that they have quotas to fill and will intimidate you to fill those quotas. You are not committed to anything until you go to basic.
>>
File: 1448287615513.png (15KB, 402x344px) Image search: [Google]
1448287615513.png
15KB, 402x344px
>>25784918
You haven't said the oath and signed the contract.

You can back out anytime

I have two miserable years left in the Navy. It's a big, hugbox and crutch in my life. I can never move forward in life with the Navy.
>>
even if >>25786336 is lying, just don't go. what are they gonna do? throw you in jail? you'll be out in a heartbeat
>>
>>25784918
DO NOT join the military.

You don't want to be in Penis Inspection Day.
>>
I was scheduled to ship with the marines and just didn't go because I couldn't do the running. They literally texted me and drove to my house but I just never answered the door and they just stopped calling. Memorizing all the general orders or whatever was pretty hard desu.
>>
>>25786288

"This is exactly what happens when you try to fight high explosive bombs with kinetic energy, bullet gunslingers driving around aimlessly on "presence patrols"---the car and road bombs get through and blow people up. The infantry branch gunslingers botching Iraq are incompetent--this is a combat engineering war--the way you smother bombs is to not let them get laid in the first place. To do this you need to WALL off cities and sectarian areas and have your gunslingers man check-points with bomb sniffing dogs that do not let any explosives pass. You do not allow cars to be parked close to pedestrian shopping areas. Those who enter or exit the pedestrian areas on foot are screened for bombs, too."

http://www.combatreform.org/battleboxes.htm
>>
OP I'm a 25 year old failure at life. No skills, no discipline, nothing.
Just do it.
>>
>tfw mentally ill and cant enlist
>>
Would you guys lie on a form about previous drug use?
>>
>>25786515
Actually, yes, that's a federal offense.
>>
>>25789629
Only if it was never documented, and anyone they ask about it will lie for you/doesn't know.

I can't lie because my marijuana use is in my fucking medical records.
>>
File: sharkpilots.png (230KB, 800x766px) Image search: [Google]
sharkpilots.png
230KB, 800x766px
>>25786515
IDK about in America, but I think in Canada, you're "in" before you go to basic. But you can still just leave and they'll probably not prosecute you, it doesn't seem worth their time.

Besides, basic is a lot of fun. It's hard, but you get to do a lot of interesting things, it's fulfilling to be active all the time, and the food is pretty damn good. You also make some great friends, being cooped up with a bunch of other adults getting shit on just as much as you is a good way to bond. Don't worry about being outed as a nerd or whatever, the navy is full of nerds because it's mostly technician jobs. In my platoon, Magic: The Gathering spread like the clap, and only a couple people ever got laid (and it ruined their time due to drama)

Also anyone who tells you join the marines is wrong, marines are turbo-normie shitters. I'm not even American and know marines to be the worst of the worst.

>>25789629
No. Don't lie. They may test you, and they don't really care about stuff in the distant past. Those drug history forms are more of a shit-test than an actual declaration of fact, they just wanna see if you lie.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.